Jeopardy! 2022-23

I knew about the upcoming Second Chance Tournament, but I am a bit surprised to learn that it’s (apparently) going to be a regular thing. I had thought that it was mainly being done to benefit those who had been steamrolled by the Matt Amodio-Amy Schneider-Mattea Roach trifecta.

I noticed that too. Hooray!

He specifically commented about that at the beginning of the show, too. Something like “it’s an honor to be announced as the host of Jeopardy.” Which would seem to contradict the earlier speculation that “hosting Jeopardy” was his own choice out of excessive obeisance to Trebek.

I don’t see the contradiction. Perhaps…
Ken felt it was presumptive for anyone to be called “The Host” right off the bat, as if it would insultingly imply that Trebek was easily replaced. Having proven his worthiness during the time since Alex’s death, Ken now feels honored to have earned the title.
Please remember I said “Perhaps.”

No, as I remember, the explanation was that Mayim Bialik was named earlier as the official host of prime-time tournaments while they were looking for a permanent host of the regular syndicated show, so until now he was just an interim host.

I thought that was the case: Mayim was “the host” at the same time Ken was “hosting”, so it wasn’t driven by the show.

But at that time, as @Dewey_Finn noted, Mayim had already been named as an official host of at least some incarnations of Jeopardy, while the official-ness of Ken’s status had not yet been decided/announced.

More awkward moments with the rules tonight.

Harriet gives and incorrect answer and corrects it. She is ruled NO
Luigi gives and incorrect answer and corrects it. He is ruled YES

The way I saw it, Luigi said something that Ken wasn’t certain on so asked him to say it again. Harriet flat out said a wrong answer, Ken said no, and then she corrected herself too late.

The judges should rule. The game is taped - there can be a stoppage - they do that often.

The host hearing or not hearing things shouldn’t be the deciding factor. The game is getting very sloppy in this regard.

I’m not sure what you think the problem is?

The host asking a player to restate something that they mumbled or said too fast is not uncommon, I’ve definitely seen Alex do it. That is not at all like clearly and loudly saying a totally wrong answer.

Celebrity Jeopardy! will have a third round - Triple Jeopardy, but the first round will have the old values (100 to 500), with double being 200-1000 and now triple with 300-1500. There will be one, two, and three daily doubles per round respectively.

Starting September 25th.

Brian

Luigi tried to blow his runaway on the last question of DJ.

He had 26,500, second had 12,400. The last clue of the game was a DD and he bet 6,000.

He got the question right. I was kinda hoping he’d get it wrong just to have a more interesting FJ, and also to the see the look on his face when he realized what he had done.

I noticed that as well.

The only reason I could think of was that the person in second place had no chance of catching him, and thus would only bet enough to try to keep second place.

Yeah, I couldn’t believe he did that. If he’d bet anything under 1,700, he would have had the lock regardless of his response. He had the right answer, so it worked out well, but I expected him to be more cautious.

I suspect he didn’t realize the option he had to lock it in.

Actually, he missed the question, as they all did. So he could have lost the game.

I meant he had the right answer for the Daily Double. Jamestown. That gave him the lock for FJ.

Oh, man, I completely missed your point. My bad. I thought you were talking about FJ.

Mea culpa.

I was surprised Ken didn’t comment on that, if only after the fact.

Not a fan of Luigi’s pronouncing all foreign words and names in the accent of the foreign language. Seems pretentious to me.

I dunno, seems to me that if you know the proper way to pronounce a foreign word, you should do so.