Jeopardy discussion

Uh… don’t they speak English in India?

In Odisha, it’s definitely a secondary language as the official language is Odia. Not really excusing the post as they could be hateful transphobes, but the busted up English and Odisha registration was enough to give them the benefit of the doubt.

“They” might but whoever or whatever wrote this is not what we’d call fluent, regardless of what pronoun is used.

I enjoyed watching Matt Amodio’s long run and it was unfortunate to see him lose. I have had enough of Amy Schneider. She is dull, monotone and robotic.It’s also frustrating to see the level of stiffs playing against her who are clobbered by the first commercial. I respect her ability and she deserves credit for her run, obviously. I have just had enough. I remember people here getting on Matt at the end of his run, but at least he had a certain quirkiness and an interesting playing style. Unless they can find some competent players to put against Amy, this will continue to be an endless, dull slog. It would be interesting to see her and Matt play each other in the Tournament of Champions. Seeing both of them play better competition instead of the regular stiffs would be a much better show.

Yesterday her opponents were both competent players. And it wasn’t over before Final Jeopardy.

To each their own, but seriously? “What’s…Amodio” was the most dull, monotonic and robotic contestant ever, or at least since Holzhauer. At least Amy understands the proper use of definite articles.

Well, Amy’s done it!

She’s won over a million bucks!

Yeah, GMA spoiled a FJ question for me when they talked about it this morning, but I’m sure I’ll forget before seeing the episode next week.

An article in the NY Times today points out the recent cluster of long streaks, examines some theories as to why it’s happening, and comes to no conclusion.

The anecdote that Amy told recently – about mispronouncing “misled” as “my-zld”…I know someone in real life who made the same mistake.

So did I.

I laughed hysterically at that story. I have my own word, indefatigable, that I pronounced indefatigueable until I was in my 40s. I heart Amy. She’s my kind of player. Low key, follows the unwritten rules, isn’t a showboat, is a normal player who doesn’t sway or have other annoying tics.

There was a player last week named Sean who swayed. Drove me nuts.

Is that the guy that rocked back and forth? I said to my wife, “I’m getting sea-sick!”

I think you’re thinking of the same person.

I’m a lifelong avid reader, but have always been lazy about pronunciation (and meaning) of many foreign words. I must have been about 20 when I finally heard the word “RON-day-voo” and saw the printed word “rendezvous” at the same time.

I was privately embarrassed as hell. Up to then whenever I’d encountered the printed word, in my mind’s ear I always just lazily slurred over “ren DEZZ vus” and never looked back, much less consult a dictionary. 50 years later I still remember the moment of revelation.

I had a teacher in junior high who would sometimes do a spelling bee of our current vocabulary words. When those ran out, and if anyone was still standing, she had a list of French words to finish us off with. The first was rendezvous. It took my class a couple of bees to get that one right, then she hit us with hors d’oeuvres. No one ever got that right, so I don’t know what was next.

My older brother had the same teacher. He was, apparently, the only student who ever got through the whole list.

I’m with you. Amy comes across as a normal person.

I tend to agree with the idea that long runs of wins can get kind of boring, particularly when the other players aren’t strong. In this run I’m finding it somewhat amusing to note Ken’s frequent passive-aggressive ‘it’s time for Amy to lose’ comments. (Yes, I realize not everyone will see his comments the same way.)

In eighth grade I had to read aloud a book report on the poem The Rime of the Ancient Ma-REEN-er.

I was so embarrassed when the teacher corrected my pronunciation. My other word I heard aloud first on Jeopardy - duodenum. Duo-DEEN-um, not doo-AH-de-num. :anguished: At least that was a private shame.

On the other hand, MASH pronounced it as doo-AH-de-num, and they had medical consultants on staff.