Jeopardy! Season 43 (started September 14, 2026)

This is the thread to discuss season 43 of Jeopardy!

Brian

Season 43 is off and running. Is there a new thread?

Thanks for that, I didn’t know season 43 started.

Brian

I believe the most recent five episodes are available on Peacock or Hulu if you want to catch up.

Whenever our local affiliate delays or reschedules Jeopardy for a college ball game or something similar, which is frequently, as often as not the supposedly rescheduled J! episode is simply never aired. The station is kind of two-bit on other ways as well.
When it happens we rely on HULU to see the “lost” game the next day. And at least with Jeopardy, HULU has almost NO commercials, and better sound quality.

Apparently the board yesterday was a reference to a bluesky post:

Almost no commercials if you’re paying for Hulu with ads; no commercials at all if you’re paying for Hulu Premium.

Should I start a new one, or just petition to change this title?

I will start a new one.

Brian
ETA created

I try to notice when a single Jeopardy board has two clues with the same correct response. I remember once they were back-to-back.

A couple weeks ago on an episode of Jeopardy Masters, there were categories about music (I think) and castles. Responses were “what is prog?” and “what is Prague?” I was hoping to get the clues from j-archive, but that episode hasn’t been entered there yet.

Frequently a category in Double Jeopardy is a pun on one of the categories in the first round. I can’t think of any specifics, but it is almost certain to happen this week.

I think this FJ aired on September 18, but I saw it just yesterday. A triple-stumper in the category Fictional Characters:
“An outcast, this character plagues a hall called Heorot for a dozen years”

Grendel, from Beowulf

Is that not common knowledge?

I got it, but I’m guessing while Beowulf & Grendel should certainly be recognized by Jeopardy contestants, the name of the hall is more obscure. Though I did like “Holden Caulfield” and “Sauron” as the guesses.

I thought of The Legacy of Heorot - Wikipedia, which does have creatures of that name, but the name escaped me.

Brian

The name of the hall is definitely not common knowledge, but it sounded Old English to me and from there it was incredibly easy to guess the answer. I was very shocked none of them got it.

I live in the Chicago area. Our local ABC affiliate has always shown Jeopardy! at 3:30 PM. I never understood who they think is watching then.

When we had Comcast we would set our DVR to record Jeopardy!. If the broadcast was preempted, they would play it at 2:30 AM later that night. My DVR always recorded the overnight make-good.

Same in the Wichita market, except it’s the NBC affiliate.

When I was still working, I’d watch the replay in the evening. Now that I’m retired, the 3:30 timeslot is almost perfect…except sometimes I sleep through DJ and FJ. Fortunately, I still record each episode.

Depends what you mean by “common knowledge”. I belong to a book discussion group that reads lots of things like fantasy and mythology. We read Beowulf in March of 2007. So I read it about 21 years ago. So I’m better read in it than the average American, who might barely remember the name of the medieval legend Beowulf from high school. When I heard the question on the show, I suspected it was from Beowulf. I would probably answered “Beowulf” to the question because I didn’t remember the character Grendel immediately, although on hearing the answer “Grendel” I vaguely remembered it. It’s certainly not the case that the majority of Americans know the answer.

Our affiliate supposedly shows preempted J! episodes, scheduled for a later time the same day, or early the following afternoon. In real life, the rescheduled J! is often simply never broadcast because the DVR always records he make-good airing when there is one.

I PVR Jeopardy on WDIV (I live in Canada and this was on Rogers/Shaw) and Mondays episode was truely f’d.

Single Jeopardy was all good, then Double Jeopardy starts it was 3 different contestants (from last season I believe), then Final Jeopardy had the expected episode 1 characters.

Then on Wednesdays episode it was truely weird, there was a couple minutes of WDIV news type stuff, then Jeopardy started with Ken interviewing the contestants (missed the first 15 clues). It was fine for a couple minutes then it switched to the start of the broadcast.

Double Jeopardy and Final Jeopardy were “normal”.

MtM