Jersey idiots attack trans teacher

Huh. She looks a hell of a lot like one of the nuns who taught me in grade school.

Gives whole new meaning to “screw your courage to the sticking place.”

Transexula? Is there a sequal to Rocky Horror that I’m not aware of?

No, just the one.

Sneep.

It’s fun to say.

Is this zombie sex or sex with a dead person, and I am not googling it and I really don’t want to know…LALALALALALALALAALALALALALA

Am I the only one thinking of Fred Gwynne?

“You make me feel…
You make me feeeeel
You make me feel like a natal woman…”

So now we see the real source of this guy’s obsessions!

Somewhere back in history, his ancestor ran into a lisping (probably gay!) member of the Knights who say neep.
And ever since, their descendents have suffered the shame of being called Schneep.

Now we can understand why the guy is obsessed.

I wonder if his wife married him because sex with Schneep is fun?

You’ve been hanging on to that one for months, haven’t you?

Well, it means that parents should teach these things. Kids are in school to learn, not get “awareness training”. Some parents want a bit of control over what is taught to the kids and resent a select few on a panel deciding what “morals” are right and wrong. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with the teacher being reinstated. If she can teach, teach. But you know damn well there is the underlying component of social teaching. I’d put it right up there with Creationism being taught to kids whose parents don’t beleive in God. That’s what religious schools are for. And we all know Creationism goes over like a fart in church around here.

Upon reflection, my post didn’t really address the overall point of the OP. I’d apologize, but that probably doesn’t mean much to some. This was just an explanation of why I posted what I did. FWIW, the whole thing should never have gotten to the point of a news story. It’s not that big a deal.

Damnit! I keep forgetting to run Pit threads by you first. Can we get a sticky here to remind us to consult you before posting a Pit? I can never tell the difference between earth-shattering injustices and stuff that just pisses a person off. It sure would be nice to make sure an annoyance is worthy of your time.

OTOH, you can simply add me to the ignore list.
Ahem. Otto, remember that childish, punk-ass e-mail you sent me telling me what an idiot I am and that you had me forever banned to your ignore list? Please do it again. I hate to think what I post is bothering you so much. Punk.

Don’t be a disingenuous piece of shit.

I never even implied that i should be consulted, or that i was the arbiter of what constitutes a proper Pit thread.

I merely noted that your mode of dismissal—that there are other “greater injustices” happening in the world and that this issue therefore isn’t really a problem—was stupid, and also contradicted by your own Pit threads.

I’m not sure how “awareness training” and “social teaching” in this instance are different from the important lessons about interaction that kids learn in those years of school.

I never said my Pit threads were works of art. I appreciate the weight you attribute to them, but for the most part they’re keystrokes of frustration/annoyances. If you want to critique them in unrelated threads, have at it. Just sounds like you didn’t approve of them and need to point it out when you can. I’ll be more thoughtful in my Pittings from now on.

Well, no. Actually I won’t. I’ll Pit when I want and you can deal with it. Or not. Not my concern.

Kids learn it in pre-school. Well, no. They don’t need public education. It’s learned before they ever see a school of any kind. Interaction is taught by interacting.

That sounds like the perfect way to get people to listen to your point of view. I’m sure if they heard you they would be hanging on your every word right now.

Sounds like the burden of proof, so to speak, is on the ones calling for her dismissal, and not the other way around. Rather than talk trash about them, why not force them to create a compelling argument for said dismissal, putting the perceived harm caused to their children in tangible, observable terms, with evidence to support? Then you have something legitimate to scrutinize, rather than a simple assault of personal attacks.

Kids certainly don’t learn how to behave in school by interacting outside of schools, and I don’t think they’ve learned all of those lessons by age 2 or 3. Either way, it doesn’t make it inappropriate for them to encounter this teacher.

And if there’s one thing we’ve come to expect in the Pit, it’s persuasive Lincoln-Douglas style argument, not venting.

Also, I’d like to say Schneep Schneep Schneep Schneep Schneep Schneep Schneep Schneep Schneep.

:smiley:

I was a little braver than you, I googled, got as far as the listing page, and then went LALALALALALALALALALA, and then pulled out a dictionary, and could only find “necrophilia”, and went LALALALALALALALALA all over again.

This really makes no sense at all. The comparison between this woman and teaching creationism in school fails on so many levels it boggles the mind.

1. Non-discrimination against trans people is not rooted in religious worship. Creationism is.

2. The priniciple of non-discrimination is not a falsifiable position. There’s no scientific evidence that shows it to be factually incorrect. Creationism can be trivially disproven with a basic knowledge of almost any branch of science.

3. Choosing not to teach creationism does not harm anyone, and does not prevent anyone from learning about creationism through other venues. Choosing not to allow this woman to teach is going to deprive her of her lively hood. Yes, she’s close to retirement age already, but every year she can keep working is another year she doesn’t have to rely on social security. The damage of letting her teach is largely suppositional and unprovable. The damage for firing her is irrefutable. The school board can take a totally neutral stance on the philosophical portion of the debate and make this decision based purely on the practical.

Do you mean it should never have been protested in the first place, thus necessitating a news story, or do you mean that the events as they happened were not newsworthy?

Because if it’s the latter, you’re manifestly wrong. News services exsist to inform their readers about subjects that interest them. Clearly, a whole bunch of people in this thread are interested in the subject. It’s simple business sense for the owner of a media outlet to cater to us, if there are enough of us to make it profitable. Besides which, the fact that a school board in this country voted so overwhelmingly in favor of letting a transexual teach is pretty fucking amazing. I’d never have expected it. It almost seems wrong for this to be in the Pit, because it’s really a fantastic story.

Mighty ironic, as you’re the only person in this thread dictating what is and is not important enough to warrant a pitting.

Well, work on that, will you? It’s getting really annoying the way you come into every single pit thread about gay rights to tell everyone how unimportant the subject is. We all get it already, okay? You don’t care about gay rights. (And no, I’m not calling you a homophobe.) It’s just not a subject that affects you. Fine. It’s something that a lot of the rest of us are pretty fucking keen on, though. So why are you wasting your time in these threads? I’m not telling you not to post to them, I’m just wondering why? You think the story in the OP is inconsequential, then why are you wasting your time talking about? Why not spend your time in threads that are about subjects you think are important, and let people who care about this stuff, y’know, care about it?

Well, there you go. I think this annoyance is worthy of my time. You do not.

So why are you here?

But does she get to keep her energetic bonnet?

Ah the SDMB - where no typing error goes unpunned.

Awesome.