Jews and the WTC

[QUOTE]
*Originally posted by zev_steinhardt *
**Another of the better known examples is Abraham Zelmanowitz, an Orthodox Jew who could have escaped and lived, but chose to stay with a non-Jewish quadrapeligic co-worker, Ed Beyea. Both perished when the building collapsed.

[QUOTE]
Ah, Zev, you beat me to that one – Mr. Zelmanowitz and Mr. Beyea were employees of the New York City branch of my company. I did not know them personally. Very sad. Unspeakably sad.

What proof is there that you didn’t do it Max?

Like others have said, you can’t prove they didn’t do it, only that they did, and if anyone has proof tp back up that theroy I’d really like to see it.

Well, I heard that “the Juice” did it. That OJ gets away with everything!

THANK YOU DUCK DUCK!!!

The shameless waste of electrons by most of the previous posters could turn a normal person into a conspiracy nut.

Max asked two questions: “Has there been any study compiled of the victims and their religous affiliations? And if so, is there anything you all can point me to?”

Why then did it take 11 posts by 7 posters before anyone gave him an answer worthy of the SDMB? Instead there was a lot of stuff like, “Max- what would constitute evidence that their wasn’t a message? How would you go about proving that?” as though Max had asked for evidence or proof that there wasn’t a message. And stuff like “A friend of mine with two sons in a HS that has a large Moslem population said that…” Ferchrissakes people! Why not take Max at his/her word that he/she just wanted to know if a list of victims was available?

Once more, many thanks to Duck Duck for finally providing the straight dope. If I want quatsch I’ll watch Fox.

The SDMB clique [sup] TM did it…

Another thing, didn’t 60 Minutes (I or II) do a segment that traced the roots of this rumor?

From what I recall, it spread like a sick game of “telephone.” Apparently, the original press report/editorial/commentary that appeared in the Arab press did not claim that the WTC Jews were warned, but merely consisted of hateful anti-Jewish rantings and speculation. The original article got twisted and distorted as it passed along, evolving into “fact” as it went along.

Um…Ok. Look, I did my googling and I couldn’t find any sources, much like Max probably did. My point, and I believe the other posters point, was that their probably wasn’t going to be any evidence. I thought “why would their be hard evidence?” For the record, I did take him at his word; I just wanted to point out that there probably wasn’t going to be hard evidence. He may have only asked two questions, but he did make the assertion that snopes didn’t have hard evidence, and that was what I was having trouble with and wanted to point out.

With due respect to Yeah’s post, it’s my opinion the OP was primarily about the rumor, not the causalty list.

If Max wanted only the list and information of their religious affliliation, only the last three sentences were needed and his quotes would have been irrelevant.

I’m genuinely curious now. The OP wants evidence that the Jews weren’t warned? What about evidence that the Jews were warned? Absent the latter, then the false and malicious story spread by anti-semites is just that: false and malicious.

First, thanks to the mods who may have seen this thread and left it where it belonged, in a search for any factual information to debunk a horrible rumor.

Thanks again to DDG, who did a lot of research and posted a lot of factual information, as was wanted.

For those with a lower maturity level, or too thin a skin to take this question without getting emotional, no thanks.

Apology.

Zev Steinhardt

Zev. I’ve followed this pretty carefully. I should report you for giving an unwarranted apology.

The only person I knew personally that died in the WTC was jewish…friend of mine from high school. That anyone believes there is a ‘jewish conspiracy’ of any kind anywhere makes me doubt the credibility of every conspiracy theory I’ve ever heard. That this lie is propagated by Arab leaders makes me doubt there will ever be hope for peace in the Middle East.

Durn hampsters…grrr. Let us try again.

Unwarranted? Unwarranted?!! He didn’t need no stinkin’ warrant! Haven’t you heard of the Patriot Act? Apologies related, even vaguely, to acts of terrorism need no warrants. I wouldn’t be surprised if Tom Ridge sends a couple of guys out to explain it to youse. Sheesh!:rolleyes: :smiley:

When I read the OP, I got the clear idea that Max wanted hard evidence that jews didn’t stay away from work that morning. This would be evidence that they weren’t warned.

As obviously ridiculous as this rumor is to all of us, it is nevertheless subscribed to by a great many people in the Arab world. In case Max came across someone who proposed this as true, he would like a wooden dagger to quickly stab it through the heart. A simple fact such as “but there were 400 jews who died in the towers, which is the same proportion as jews who worked in the towers overall” would very effectively kill any further discussion.

I’m with Max - he asked a simple, factual question, and got a bunch of non-factual responses, which sounded like they were ridiculing Max for believing the rumor.

Would it even be possible to find out how many people who worked in the WTC (and people who were just there attending meetings) were “Jews?” Just because they “have Jewish names” doesn’t make them “Jews,” and many people without Jewish names—or from Jewish familes—are Jews. I just don’t think such a study could be done.

Like saying “the homosexuals were responsible! None of the gays showed up for work that day!” How could you prove or disprove such a statement?

That being said, someone should zip up Duck Duck Goose’s post and send it off to snopes; obviously she can do better research than they can…

No, but you could get some pretty good numbers from next-of-kin. (Where next-of-kin could be located, natch.)

“Ma’am–was your son Jewish?”

“Yes.”

“Thank you.”

This is not a very good analogy. We’re talking about New York City, not Nazi Germany. I’ve never heard of a Jew here being “in the closet.”

I suspect it would go more like this:

“Ma’am–was your son Jewish?”

“Who are you? Why do you want to know?”

“We’re trying to find out if the Jews knew about the attacks in advance.”

“Fuck you, asshole!” [click]