JJ Abrams' NCC-1701

It’s not that bad really. My only gripe was that the film is evoking the TV series with the primary coloured uniforms but then evoking the movies with this ship. To me, the Trekkie, it just jars a little.

Well, reading about some snippets of film that were shown to a select audience…

From Empire magazine;

Whoosh? :confused:

I like it. Futuristic, yet familiar. Come on, this is the 21st century. Do we need to be a slave to the special effects that were possible in the 60’s? Even since the last appearance of the NCC-1701-A in “The Undiscovered Country” CGI has come a long way. Those of you who demand exactness can satisfy yourself with the remastered CGI effects in the original episodes. And Star Trek is more about the crew than about a particular ship. They’ve proven that with “The Voyage Home” when the crew went back to 1986 San Fransisco with the captured Klingon cruiser. And when Kirk was given command of the Enterprise A. Their ties may have been forged on the original Enterprise, but their relationships had expanded beyond a particular ship. As long as they were together, they could call any ship their own.

I’ll be watching this movie with an open mind and expect to leave most of my preconceptions at the door. As long as Abrams and the writers tell a good story, it doesn’t need to look exactly like it did 45 years ago. And I say this as a long time Trek fan, ever since 1966.

Oh. Well, that’s different.

It looks ok, I guess. The saucer part seems a little bigger than it should be…maybe they added more phasers? Never have too many phasers…

If you’re talking about the port/starboard phaser banks on the underside of the saucer section, those have been around since the Star Trek Blueprints came out in the early 70s. They became cannon with the refit of the Enterprise for TMP and were first scene in action in the battle with the Reliant in Khan.

The port/starboard phaser banks became cannon!! :eek:

I know Kirk had that whole Horatio Hornblower envy going on, but that is taking it a bit far, methinks. :stuck_out_tongue:

Oh, was that too subtle? Was I obliged to include a winky?

:wink:

(I will, though, admit that “first scene in action” was an error.)

It’s sort of being a slave to the special effects possible in the late 1970s though. If the nacelles were updated, why leave the saucer looking a tad backwards, like the TMP saucer?

KneadToKnow, I think you were being whooshed. While you meant the phaser banks were “canon”, Lightray was making light of your “cannon” typo and running with it. Unless you did that on purpose, then of course I retract my clarification.

Nacelles and deflector look too “hotrodded” to me. It looks like someone took the ship from TOS and then chopped and channeled it.

I like it. It matches the interior styling, which has deliberately been pushed into something that you might expect the fashions of the 23rd Century to be.

Wrong font.

If there is a prize for most absurdly obscure fannish nit to pick, you’re definitely in the running here.

Actually, its a bit of a running gag, because if you notice, you can’t see any lettering on the ship in the pics linked in the OP. However, when the teaser trailer first appeared, people (not me, as I didn’t notice it) pointed out that the font was wrong, and now, whenever someone posts a still from the new movie, someone always responds (at some point) with “wrong font.”:stuck_out_tongue:

Heh, I think a nice Mercedes, Jaguar, or even BMW hood ornament would fail to look out of place on this ship. And I’m saying that as a trekkie from before I was born. (Honest! My parents watched the show in first-runs while I was gestating! :D)

You can see the **NCC **on the port nascelle.

Do you have any particular examples in mind? I thought Enterprise was becoming decent when they began fanwanking it instead of time travel fighting bug men and Nazis. :slight_smile:

Not on my monitor, you can’t. Its just fuzzy black shapes which might be NCC, but might also be something shaped like XXX.

The front of the nacelles design seems to have been influenced by Chrysler.

Chris Pine resembles Christopher Pike more than Kirk. :slight_smile:

You can also see the “701” part of 1701 along the leading edge of the underside of the engineering section.