Job experience and moving up the career ladder

I will be graduating in a year, but presently I am thinking about job prospects for when I am out alone in that big world (I currently live at home with mom). One option that I thought of revolved around a job I already have-

I work as a tutoring coach for ‘Score!’. I’ve been working there 6 months, and plan to continue working there through the rest of college. If I pull that off, I’ll have 18+ months experience there. The Directors (managers) there all have B.A.'s, but their majors are quite varied and diverse, and I would figure if someone with a B.A. in Libreal Arts has the competency to manage a tutoring center, a B.A. in English (mine, hopefully) should be able to do so as well. I have thought about applying for a Director position there after I graduate. I hope that the experience I have working there currently could contribute to me getting hired (or promoted) to Director. All but one Director I know was hired with no prior experience in that particular field, which leads me to think that they’re mainly looking for someone with a degree. I hope that having the degree, plus experience in the job, might help me get hired.

Have any other dopers had any experience in doing something like this? Anybody started a job low, then worked their way up? Personally I feel much more comfortable and confident doing something I’m familiar with than tackling a field I have no experience whatsoever in.

One thing I would suggest is making your interest in working your way up known, and soon—I’m working towards a promotion of sorts at work–I want to teach AP–and once I made my interest known, all sorts of opportunities came my way for extra training. Furthermore, a couple people with signifigant influence who I think had never considered me for the position–simply because the tradition at our school is to look outward, not inward–began to pay attention to me, and now back my application.

You need to sit down with whoever would be making that hiring decision and state 1. that you would like to be considered for a position when you complete your education in six months and 2. Do they have any sugggestions about things you can do to make yourself a more attractive applicant? You need to do this soon, because they may already know about someone who is going to leave in a few months (and information like that often isn’t widely known) and getting your name in there now is a great thing: alternitively, someone could up and quit in 4 months, and if they want you, they might delay replacing them until you are eligible.

Sometimes that ladder is dangerous. My company recently decided there were too many middle managers and laid off two people in my chain of command…my manager3 and manager4. Those big offices with the great view of LAX are now sitting empty, and will probably be filled by software developers, though undoubtedly they will be doubling or tripling up.

The job has been pretty reliable, and the turnover rate for employees there is due to people finding other things to do. Many other Coaches there are younger than I am (High Schoolers) who quit when they go away to college.

In fact, I’m the oldest Coach there. At 22, I almost feel like an old fart! It feels pretty wierd to have coworkers come up to me after work and exclaim, “You have your own car? wow! and you can vote, buy liquor, and play the lottery? that’s awesome!”

Yep, at 22 I feel like I’m on top of the world :smiley:
Course I don’t mention to them I could also get drafted, dragged to jury duty, etc.

A few random thoughts…

I’ve “worked my way up” in 2 companies along the way. It can work for a while. I found, however, that sometimes the higher ups are slow to see you as anything but what you started as. They keep the memory alive that, even though you have achieved advanced degrees and accomplished all sorts of corporate goals, you used to be the guy in the mail room. It’s not true of all companies but…

It is important to recognize when you’ve hit the ceiling where-ever you are at. Often it is easier to move up by moving out. The folks at a new company don’t have that memory of you in the mail room to cloud their judgement.

The reason I say all this is, if you do state your desires to your management and you don’t get the desired response, don’t turn it into a personal quest with them. Know when to move on, you won’t be sorry.

Find the right ass to kiss.