Jobs for Brits in America.

Well, I have a mild Glasgow accent - very clear and comprehensible, I’m not Rab C. Nesbit :smiley:

Although I do oddjob, low-level IT work at the moment, I’ve been told that radio stations might like to have a presenter with a “novelty” accent. Sadly I have no experience in that field, and it seems to me that it would be difficult to wing it.

Jeez-I bet you spoil surprise parties, too! (don’t air our dirty laundry in public–he’ll find out soon enough!). I’m sure the tunnel will be done…soon and it might not even fall on people this time!

Having been driven in London, the Boston commute is a step up. Plus, there’s the T–which is sorta Tube like, without the coolness factor. I have no idea re IT jobs in Boston, but he’d do great at some of the tourist attractions–essell could be a Pilgrim or a tour guide on that clipper ship or even a musuem guide (docent?)… Or he could a normal job like anyone else–the accent is a plus.
Lobsang has employment once here: my personal valet/chauffeur. All he needs is a British accent and he’s golden.

Yeah, but they don’t necessarily match your skill sets - i.e. Americans can program and manage people - there isn’t any advantage there to being British - unless there may be a slight advantage to you in a British/American company - but I can’t imagine programming is that different - unless perhaps you are working in Financial Systems with U.K. GAAP.

Won’t you be a bit uncomfortable when he drives on the “wrong” side of the road? :smiley: Nah, he can also go and work in a museum - he could be a redcoat soldier or something.
And a belated “hello and welcome to the SDMB” to PaulParkhead - someone else from my part of the world. :slight_smile:

I do drive a big white car.

Hmmm, well you could make a living driving brides around then … Og’s sake DON’T do that - I imagine it would be really tedious, yappy self-important brides and their bridesmaid.

Ah, but wait - I suppose getting to meet all the pretty young bridesmaid could be viewed as an advantage. :smiley:

See? I got a driver and that’s a start! :wink:
And if the valet thing goes belly up–there’s always BP petroleum, located in downtown Chicago. (or the British embassy, on Michigan avenue in the Wrigley building IMS).