Jon Stewart August 04, 2005

Parallel? It’s more of a clone, isn’t it? Is there ever any purpose to these Jon Stewart threads other than communal leftwing peacocking? It’s always the same. Oh wow, did you guys watch Jon trash that Republican last night? The show is really making a comeback. Or… I thought Jon was way too soft on that conservative yesterday. The show is jumping the shark.

Don’t agree that this has been a great week - the show’s been mostly lame this whole summer - but this episode made up for it. This is why The Daily Show must exist.

The writing on the show is a miracle! I mean…

“Lightning hitting the plane was the miracle. God was trying to kill those people!”

Heh.

I’m not sure what “liberal peacocking” is, but it apparently consists largely defending John McCain and bagging on Dukes of Hazard.

I’m pretty sure they will - they usually do.

Um, then by that reasoning is there any purpose to any of the television threads in CS? Like, say, discussing Big Brother or Family Guy? Gee, people who watch a TV show want to comment on what they think of it. Imagine that.

This episode wan’t even particularly political and did not involve Stewart ripping into a conservative guest. It seems to me that the biggest laugh-getter was the Dukes of Hazzard segment and that one involved some gentle mocking of a man who was protesting the the use of the Confederate flag in the movie.

Yes, there were some shots at Bill O’Reilly, but they were in defense of John McCain.

Maybe some Daily Show threads have involved lefty posters crowing about the evisceration of a this or that conservative, but this thread has mostly just been showing appreciation for non-political bits.

I didn’t use the phrase “liberal peacocking”. If you’re going to quote me, get it right.

Um, show me the Big Brother thread where people are giddy over Howie bashing O’Reilly.

Let the record be corrected for the benefit of those confused by the vast semantic gulf between “liberal peacocking” and “leftwing peacocking”. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

They serve an excellent purpose in telling me when to tune in. As much as I like it I do not watch regularly. When one of these threads comes up saying how good the last episode was, it reminds me to check out the 8:00 rebroadcast on the following day. Great show.

Nope. Is there anything *wrong * with leftwing peacocking?

So don’t read the threads. Leave 'em for folks who like to talk about the show.

I have no idea what you’re talking about there, because I don’t read the Big Brother threads because I don’t like the show.

What I’m seeing in this thread is that people liked something they saw on tv and wanted to comment on it. I think you’re reading too much into it in hopes of getting your angle justified.

And my apologies for using the word “um.” It’s a bad and annoying habit, I know.

And I just realized you probably meant Bill O’Reilly rather than some person on the show, as I assumed. I still don’t see how it makes a difference, though.

I dunno, The show is a comedy show that did what comedy does best. It held up a pompous fathead up for ridicule.

They didn’t actually say anything but air the two clips of O’Reilly First claiming the ALCU are terrorist stooges and then another of him lecturing McCain on the necessity of torture.

O’Reilly made himself look like a tool not Stewart. They just showed the clip and gave the reaction. Of course he did add the Stephen Hawking bit in the end, but hey it is a comedy show.

I’m sorry but if you start making stupid assertions on air then expect to be called up on them either through proper debate or ridicule. The stupider the assertion the more likely the ridicule.

Hell, I was watching when O’Reilly did it. It’s not like Jon changed t thing or took it out of context. Actually, it’s not the first time he’s tried to equate the ACLU with terrorists either. He’s got some bone to pick with them, because he does this often.

How does he live with himself? Because O’Reilly knows he is always right. Anyone who disagrees with him just hates Bush.

Ashamed to admit that he watches the O’Reilly factor, even though O’Rielly annoys the hell out of him

Why not take political threads to the Pit or GD? Isn’t this supposed to be a forum about the arts? Shouldn’t we be discussing the aesthetic aspects of the show? Do you think a thread about the Rush Limbaugh show, celibrating how he tore apart Hillary or bashed atheism would be appropriate here? I don’t.

I could go either way on this one. The show is clearly political, which makes it hard to discuss the aesthetics of it without reference to politics. But it’s still a comedy show first. As for the thread, some posts commented on the political stuff, some on the presentation of the comedy. I see your point, but since the show’s purpose is not punditry, I figure this thread is in the right place.

Then you should hit the report post button and ask that it be moved don’t you think? I personally wouldn’t have any problem with a Rush Limbaugh thread in here if he was you know…a comedian and we were discussing his jokes and humorous slant on issues.

So are you also distressed by threads about Chris Rock shows that also discuss his views on race relations and various politically charged jokes he makes?

Thank you for showing us the error of our ways, Liberal. Henceforth, we shall sin no more.