Journalists: Keep TV show spoilers out of the fucking headline. (Game of Thrones Spoiler Alert)

Note: This happened the day after the episode that Arya killed the Night King. I’m posting about it now because I spoke to someone yesterday who had a similar thing happen and decided something had to be done about it.

So I wasn’t able to watch the episode S8E3 the night it aired. I had to watch it the following day, and because I knew that people would be talking about it, I studiously avoided most forums, any entertainment websites, and immediately averted my eyes at any sign of a GoT article. I did reasonable due diligence to avoid spoilers.

Somehow I ended up at a website that had a Daily Mail (yea, I know) article on it entitled, literally “Arya Puts An End To The Night King.” I had no time to avoid the headline. Imagine for a second how much less you’d enjoy that episode knowing that going into it. Probably the best moment in GoT ruined for me.

Now here’s the thing: Who benefits from that fucking headline? Those who’ve seen the episode already know it, and those who don’t watch the show don’t care. That leaves people like me:. Those who haven’t seen the episode, do care, and don’t want to fucking know it.

Can you imagine if a movie review title spoiled the Sixth Sense or Endgame? People would be out for blood.

I read that only 30% of TV show watchers actually watch an episode at airtime. The majority stream or DVR it. So these days, TV shows are akin to movies. Journalists should show the same respect for TV viewers that they do for movie-goers.

I’m not saying people shouldn’t talk or write about a show afterwards, but there is no good reason to put a spoiler in a headline in a mass media news article. There’s always a risk of having something inadvertently spoiled (overhearing a conversation, etc.), and most journalists adhere to a policy of discretion, but it’s time the rest learned it too.

So you journalists out there - treat TV shows like you do your sources: Don’t reveal them.