Joyce loving dopers unite!

Just felt the need to start a thread on Joyce.

Don’t really know what to say (it’s not like there’s any dearth of literature on him).

Favorite Dubliners story? (Araby or Eveline)

Favorite chapter of Ulysses? (Nausicaa or Oxen Of The Sun)

Favorite passages?

And here I thought this thread was about my wife.

Yes her name is Joyce.

I’ve only read Portrait and Araby, but I’m a-gonna get going on Ulysses and Finnegans Wake when I get more time.

Favorite passage in Portrait…the attempted description of eternity. Sorry, it’s a bit long:

I’m sure your wife is cool as well, Reeder.

When you say you’ve read Araby, you mean you’ve only read that one story? You must read the rest of Dubliners.

I’m rereading A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man now. (Only the second time, for some strange reason.)

My favourite stories in Dubliners are A Painful Case and Clay. A Painful Case always blows me away because he devotes so much time establishing Mr. James Duffy as a totally unsympathetic character – and then makes your heart ache for him with those last five words. It’s the attrition of casual (and unconscious) insults to poor Maria in the midst of everyone’s joy that makes Clay work for me.

I can’t say that I have a favourite chapter of Ulysess. Penelope is the most beautiful, Circe is fantastically cryptic, Ithica is comic genius, etc. How can you set one above another?

Favourite passage: Stephen tapping his way with eyes closed on the beach.

Counterparts is good, too. APOTAAAYM is my least favorite book by Joyce. It isn’t as breezy as Dubliners or as epic as Ulysses and just seems like it’s lacking something.

Is thread titled Joyce loving dopers unite, aren’t you just asking for it?

Oh, and what of the argument that H.C.E. is the nightmare of one Leopold Bloom, circa 1:30-6A.M., Friday June 17th 1904?

pops out of clock “Cuckold! Cuckold! Cuckold!”

A nightmare from which he is trying to awake?

Right - we read it in my senior English class in high schoo (probably took longer than 20 minutes), but unfortunately we spent more time on mediocre things like H.G. Wells and Franny and Zooey.

Well, I haven’t actually finished the Wake yet (well, in the traditional sense of the word; I realize that no one ever actually finishes the Wake), but I stumbled across the theory in my search for exegesis, and some parts of the book fit it pretty well. Stephen as the cad, revealing Bloom’s shortcomings to a metaphorical Dublin (himself), the twins as the son(s) that Bloom doesn’t have, representing power (another quality he lacks). So on and so on.

I thought this was gonna be another Buffy thread…

And I’m an English major.

I’m surprised they chose Araby and not The Dead. Or even the whole book; hell, it’s only like 160 pages.

Me, I’m torn between Alice Joyce and Peggy Hopkins Joyce.

But James? Like wading through molasses to me.

That struck me when I first read the book. Ulysses was published 15 years prior to Gone With The Wind. Anyone know if this is just a coincidence?

“Gone with the wind” was already a common expression. It comes to us by way of the bible:

Watabout “Tara?”

Apparently my assumption about the origin of the expression may be misguided. A little digging turns up that the phrase itself is from a poem by Ernest Dowson dating from the late 19th century, titled “Cynara.”

:smack: Missed that, entirely. I’d say yeah, it’s a coincidence. Joyce was referring to the Psalter of Tara.

Uh, here’s a non-crackpot cite for the Psalter of Tara. (Although I suppose that first one is appropriate considering the analogy that Joyce was making.)

So it was a common reference of Joyce and Mitchell to the Psalter of Tara? (The O’Hara’s being Irish and all.)