July Bugging the Shit out of you? Rant about it here.

Damn drillbit broke off in the wood. The stub is not long enough to get a vise grip on yet it sticks out of the wood out of the deck plank enough to rip up bare feet.

The hammer made it safe but not very pretty.

On edit: geez our little tidbit problems are nothing compared to flatlined’s news

Feeling a bit better, but goddamn it, I went most of yesterday without coughing, only to fall into a complete coughing fit when I tried to go to bed. Hacked and coughed nearly continuously for several hours. Now today I’m back to a bad (continuous) cough.

Oh, and weight loss now 10 pounds. Not that I mind. I could lose another 30, but hopefully not by this continuing another 3 weeks.

Hey kids, it’s the ‘Get Sick and everything tastes like crap’ diet! You’ll love it!

Oh [[flatlined]] I’m sorry about your ex minion. :frowning:

Could you use some wood filler on it to make it prettier?

This morning on my way to work there was a tiny kitten in the road. I didn’t see what it was until I had passed it and then I just didn’t get it together to pull over (very busy road) - I think it may have been alive and just terrified, and I know it couldn’t have made it if nobody else stopped. I can’t get it out of my head. I don’t know why I didn’t stop. :frowning:

(I mean, realistically probably somebody would have hit it BECAUSE I stopped - I would have had to slam on the brakes and there were a lot of cars behind me. But I can’t stop thinking about it.)

There are some very non-mini rants in here, I’m afraid. :frowning:

19 firefighters dead? They must have got caught behind the fire line or something awful like that. That’s just…that’s just not supposed to happen!

{{{{{{{{flatlined}}}}}}}}

That’s a scary fire.

So sorry, flatlined.

But as an aside, and I don’t mean this in a snarky way, but “minion” seems like such a disrespectful label to call someone that worked for/with you, let alone to still call them that after they’ve died, not to mention dying in heroic fashion.

Minion comes from the Middle French* mignon * meaning darling. Current synonyms are favorite, pet, and darling. Recently, the word has been used in relation to supervillians and mad scientists, who don’t treat their darlings well; but it’s not an inherently demeaning word. It beats underling and subordinant all hollow.

Henchman could use some refurbishing.

Much sympathy, flatlined.

I’m not really going to argue the point much, because I feel bad flatlined lost a friend and that really sucks for her. However, the definition you gave is the third one given herewith the first two being 1. An obsequious follower or dependent; a sycophant and 2. A subordinate official, especially a servile one.

In common usage, I’d say more people relate the term to one of those two definitions, and not the original French meaning.

flatlined, I’m so sorry. :frowning: I’m sorry for all 19. They were Hotshots, just like the firefighters lost on Storm King Mountain in 1994 during the South Canyon Fire. Horrible, just horrible.

It’s a deck. Can’t be too nice with it or it might get an attitude.

Actually, it’s a very big deck made of redwood cedar and some of the roughness of the exterior doesn’t hurt and in some ways shows some rustic character. A few dings here and there are not really a bad thing. I just didn’t want a ding at the spot where I was drilling. I wanted to sink a screw there.

I spent a summer being pissed off at every tiny thing that happened. Then I stopped taking Claritin and I wasn’t angry anymore. Of course I then sneezed about 20 times a day. Mrs. Kelevra couldn’t decide which was worse.

My Rant: One of our dogs decided to eat something that is making her throw up. She’s diabetic so with the vomiting we couldn’t control her insulin levels. Consequently she spent last night at an emergency clinic which should only cost us $600.

What’s bugging the everluvvin’ shit outta me?

Cervical radiculopathy:

:frowning:

No thanks on the benedryl, heart condition contraindicates it. But thanks anyway!

I lost close to 40 pounds my first miscarriage, went in at 135 and came out at 90 pounds a week later. I looked like I had a go at escaping Auschwicz or some death camp. One of the physically worst weeks of my life. Took me almost a year to get the muscle tone back I lost. I was in better shape the time I didn’t eat for almost 3 months.

Dear husband,

I know you’re tired and cranky, but stop being an ass. Yelling at the kids and then texting me using multiple obscenities really doesn’t improve anyone’s attitude. Being nicer would go a long way, but I know that’s not your style. Can’t wait to get home from work tonight. :mad:

Sincerely,
Your equally tired wife
In an anti-rant, I found my phone!! Actually my cranky hubby did. It fell behind the microwave. Weird place for a phone…

They were trying to mate.

But microphones already exist! :wink:

My husband has that (his is caused by a flat neck - he doesn’t have the normal slight curve that most people have, and you apparently need). He would probably agree whole-heartedly with you. :slight_smile:

I am so sorry for your loss.

Thank you all so much for the support. This is so shocking. Like Cat Whisperer said, this sort of thing is not supposed to happen. My heart is breaking for all the families. They were all fairly young, so the children they left are also young.

Its just terrible :frowning:

You are right. The minion thing was a running joke at the warehouse because of my plans for world domination. I’ve always used it with affection and humor, and they would play it up as well. (lots of fake mustache twirling and evil laughter as we made plans to expand into an empty building) I can certainly understand how people who aren’t in on the joke would misunderstand. I don’t want anyone to think that I didn’t respect and value him, so thank you for that.

From what I have heard from friends and from watching the blogs, the community is in a state of shock, but everyone is reaching out to help the families and newly homeless people.

If anyone wants to donate to help the bereft families and those people who lost everything they owned but pets and cars, go back to that same link and look at the related stories. From what I was able to find out, all of those organizations are legit. No, I didn’t send money to the United Way.