Just another New York City morning

So I’m riding the 2nd avenue bus to work. Today I chose to sit on the left side of the bus so I can watch traffic (I’m easily entertained), as the bus generally travels on the right side of the avenue. Usually I sit on the right so I can gaze upon and appreciate the multitude of humanity on the sidewalk. And the multitude of beautiful women, too. But I digress…

I’m sitting there, traffic’s crawling along, and up the middle of the avenue comes a person jogging against the flow of traffic. I thought the person looked pretty normal, except for the being in the middle of rush hour traffic thing. I watched the person go by and lo and behold I beheld this person’s naked ass.

After the initial oh…kay…, this set me to thinking. Man or woman? The person was older and had shortish greying hair, so from the neck up it have gone either way. The person was wearing a top that a woman would wear, and would be unusual for a man, but not unusual for a certain type of man, I guess. I didn’t notice the family jewels and whatnot flopping around when the person came up the avenue, I think the person’s top may have covered that area and well, at the time, I didn’t really occur to me to look. I really would like to have seen a replay. It also occurred to me that this was the sort of thing I would have seen 10 years ago, certainly not in the spiffed up New York City of today.

Have you ever seen the Dog with No Nose?

My coworkers and I see it periodically. It’s a big, healthy-looking Golden Retriever, gets walked in midtown (usually Park or Madison in the 30s). Perfectly normal, till you do a double-take and realize its entire upper snout is missing. Can not figure out how it eats or drinks.

I am always tempted to shout out, “Hey, lady! Your dog has no nose! How does it smell?

Back in my NYC days I sometimes saw the Nun With No Nose in the Wall Street area. Sorry to top you, .Eve

Oh Jesus that was funny, Eve. Forget that damn interrupting cow; the <whatever> without a nose line of jokes is my absoulte favorite.

A nun with no nose?

How did she smell?

Like she’d been bathing in unholy water.

This thread got me to thinking, it has been about 10 years since I was last in New York City. Man, time flies. So what’s changed? Aside from the obvious, I mean. Did Rudy really clean things up as much as I’ve heard? Just curious …

Well, we’ve got ourselves a bare-ass jogger and a noseless dog since you’ve left . . .

You wouldn’t recognize 42nd street.

The city’s a bit less wild. The club scene ain’t what it used to be (like I would know…). More chain stores have moved in (Gap, Best Buy, etc.) You still have to hit half a dozen stores and shops before you have your full complement of groceries. There’s hardly a block without a Duane Reade. There’s very little of Manhattan that’s not fair game, real estate-wise. The Mexican food still sucks, but at least there’s more of it. I still can’t find a decent plate of huevos rancheros.

I’m still trying to visualize a dog with no nose.

You wouldn’t recognize 42nd street.

The city’s a bit less wild. The club scene ain’t what it used to be (like I would know…). More chain stores have moved in (Gap, Best Buy, Bed Bath & Beyond, etc.) I still have to hit half a dozen stores and shops before I have a full complement of groceries. There’s hardly a block without a Duane Reade. There’s very little of Manhattan that’s not fair game, real estate-wise. The Mexican food still sucks, but now there’s more of it. I still can’t find a decent plate of huevos rancheros.

I’m still trying to visualize a dog with no nose.

Has everyone at least seen the singing mostly-naked cowboy in Times Square? He even auditioned for American Idol.

No. But as I live in Sydney Australia that’s hardly surprising.