Just saw Hulk...

Sorry man, but many people lock up when they are very afraid. Not everybody screams and runs. Some people go into a short of shock, some run, some just pass out, etc, etc ad nauseum. Like I said, if you want to believe everybody reacts the same, go ahead. It seems plausable to me. (the way it was in the movie)
The Hulks face looked EXACTLY like Bruce, and she saw the face first. The shock was seeing his face on the not so jolly green giant. Yet she already seemed suspicious of him surviving the gamma burst, and the fact that she knew he was somehow connected with something her father was wanting to talk to Bruce about privately. It wasn’t a vacuum. However, I discussed this with several of my friends and they all agreeed with me, go figure- perhaps it is a geographical thing.

Too add the point- no I wouldn’t run from a giant 10 foot plus monster that is sitting there quietly. If it is roaring at me, yeah, I MIGHT run, or pass out. My first reaction will be my heartbeat increasing, adrenaline pumping, and my second one would be “is somebody playing a trick on me somehow”.

I have been frightened for my life many times, and never have I screamed like a little baby and ran. Call me foolish, but my flight or fight reflex is deadened by my rational mind.

overall I thought the movie was pretty good but some parts pissed me off, I can appreciate how they made the film like a comic book in some of the filming but when that blonde guy who always beat bruces ass fired the rocket and he had it pointed behind him and when it exploded and then it just like stopped and was like a comic I got really pissed, also when he was on the jet and it went so high and he fell off and passed out from lack of oxygen I guess and had that short dream I thought that was kind of pointless but I still have to give this movie props its challenging to take a comic then bring it into an entirely new medium and succeed

I managed to spot something very interesting while watching the Hulk movie. Evidently, both father and son share the same love of takeout Chinese food. Look at the table where Bruce and Betty are eating when General Ross and his men come in to “discuss” thins with Bruce. You see a few takeout containers there. When Betty goes to the elder Banner’s house (I think this was immediately after the scene with the general), you also see Chinese takeout containers on a table by a couch. Verrry interesting… :smiley:

I saw it last night. I quite like a lot of the cinematic tricks. I thought it took a little too long for the story to develop but I enjoyed all the Hulk stuff. The CGI wasn’t all that realistic but I was entertained anyway. All the stuff in the desert was the best part. I thought the ending was strange and unsatisfying but I did like the coda. I give about three stars. Not bad, but could have used some tweaking.

Me too, and MY rational mind would tell me: dude, you’re dreaming. Now let’s try flying out of here and finding hot a young woman to play with.

Oh, I haven’t seen the movie yet

It was the worse of CG and the best of CG. Hated it when Hulk jumped for miles around like an elasticised rubber ball but loved it when he started swinging around that tank turret.

All in all, a very hard movie to watch, wayyy too much exposition. And it seemed Ang Lee (who never even heard of the Hulk before being offered to direct) was confused as to what the movie should be. Most of the blame lies with the screenwriters though.

Can’t wait for a sequel, you KNOW its going to fix the bad CG and not have to worry about developing their characters as much.

Anyone going to see it again in the theaters? I’m just going to wait out for the dvd.

Am I the only one who thought the scene riding through the clouds on a bolt of lightning was awesome? I can’t be the only one. I just wish the final battle was better lit, it was hard to see what was going on.

Yaaawwwnnn…
Talk about your clash of genres. Seems like Ang couldn’t decide whther to artsy and dark or fun and action-packed. I loved Crouching Tiger and I certainly don’t have anything against movies which push the limits. This one just failed on many levels.
The comic book effect got old, quick. Largely the use of frames in a comic is to show the passage of time. Not just simultanious action all over the place. I found it more annoying than anything else. Way too serious for it’s own good. Most good dramas have at least some comedy to break the tension (or boredom). Outside of a couple fleeting moments (Stan Lee/ Lou Ferrigno cameo being one) it was just melodrama punctuated by some cool CGI stuff. Kind of like Attack of the Clones with less action.
SPOILERS GALORE AHEAD:

Hated all the Father stuff. Didn’t care about why he was locked up or how Bruce came to be. Didn’t care about Bruce’s repressed memories. Didn’t buy his reasons to try and kill Betty. Hated the big ball of whatever over the water after he sucked out the hulk’s power. Sould have lost the hallucinations and 90% of the flashbacks.

And good god, what was up with putting Bruce between two giant electrodes and sending his dad up while the army stood a couple hundred yards away?
That whole scene was weirdly lit and performed like some minimalist theater production.

And I have to side with Jack Batty on the woods scene.
Who wouldn’t get freaked out in the woods by a giant face appearing 13 feet up (besides Epimetheus, of course)?! I’d be startled even if I was walking through my own house late at night and saw an unexpected face from the shadows. At the very least let out a gasp or a “ohmygod”. Even if it was my own wife’s normally proportioned, 5’8" self. Let alone if she had mutated into something 3 times her size in the woods.

I DID like a few scenes for the sheer action thrill. The dogs, the initial busting through the building, the big fight in in the desert . All fun stuff.

I can’t help to compare it to Spiderman. In that movie, about half of it was spent setting up who peter was and how he got to be Spidey. Lots of fun and you actually cared about the main/secondary characters. Believed their motivations.

The Hulk spends practically the first hour of the movie in tedious flashbacks and scenes showing how stoic or “bottled up” our hero is. When he does turn into the Hulk, we don’t really care if he succeeds because he’s never really given a goal other than being semi-curious about his birth parents and some experiments that we only really know what he DOESN’T want to do. Eventually he must escape, but then what? Go to work with the Peace Corps in South America?

How about show us some pre-hulk stuff where Bruce get’s pushed around because he won’t get angry? Or maybe the opposite. Maybe he has some serious road rage problems. Something. Anything, besides just Bruce standing around looking slightly annoyed and busy. Endear us to this character, one way or another.

I loved what Ang Lee did with CTHD, but I hope they hand the reins over to another lighter-handed director for the next installment. Or at least get a better script to work from.

Yep, I’ve never seen cheesier wire effects played so straight-faced before. He’s a master. :rolleyes:

Why would a nuclear weapon destroy the cloud of energy/David Banner that could absorb the powers of whatever it touched? If it got hit by a nuke, wouldn’t David Banner/the cloud of energy just incorporate the energy of the blast?

And why the heck did the military allow the Banners pere et fils to meet without a heavily armed security detachment in the room? Sure they had Bruce Banner in chains, but the army knew that his father was a potential threat as well.

Simply put:

While I admire what Ang Lee was trying for, I can’t think of a single thing in the movie that worked for me. Generally it was so boring that I almost fell asleep at a couple points, and in those moments it perked up a bit, the CGI was so terrible that I couldn’t ignore it.

The father stuff at the end was completely lame.

Unimpressed.

First major flaw: CHOPPER DOES NOT WEAR HELMETS!
Aside from that, I pretty much second all the criticisms that people have voiced previously. The comic book-ish multi-frame thing was cool at first, got really old really fast, the only good bit with it was when the army was transporting Bruce by helicopter and it went into multi-frame mode. I looked at my friend and said, “What this movie needs is about 5 more split screens.” Two seconds later, what do we get? YES! The screen split FIVE ways! Sweet sweet nectar!

I actually did say this out loud at a few points, and was far from the only one.

I really had no problem with the CGI, however, which is shocking considering I thought it was some of the worst I’ve ever seen in the trailers. It wasn’t any different, it just worked some how.

Between General Ross and 1967 David Banner, I think the film takes the cake for absolutely horrid moustache styles, which should be worth something. Also worth something is Eric Bana. He rocks. Go watch Chopper everyone. And don’t bitch at me about how it’s not all that great or coherent of a film either, just wait for the line about small children being frightened.

I really got into the characters. I thought the CGI fit well, and I didn’t even think about it or notice it while I was watching the movie. The comic book thing was cool and worked for telling the story.

I loved it and can’t wait to see it again. I didn’t think it was as good as X-Men 2, but it was better than Spiderman IMHO.

How did Eric Bana shape up? He’s mostly known in Australia for his comedy.

I liked the comic-book stuff to some extent, but when the blonde guy starts beating on Bruce for the second time, wanting him to turn, I said “That’s Darwin in action, right there.”

They never really made the Hulk seem like a curse that Banner had to live through, never really connected it to him. I couldn’t see the connection emotionally. It was interesting that the Hulk showed little bits of intelligence…maybe my obsession-Grey Hulk-will show up next?

I still think that CGI effects has a bit to go before people stop disbelieving it - part of it is that people can’t know it’s there, which was not terribly avoidable in this movie.

That said, it was a lot better than in Spider-Man or DareDevil, in part because there was no “human in a costume” Hulk to compare it to, I’ll admit.

[spoiler]Once it got moving, I liked it a lot, including how every villain seemed to have the death wish of wanting him to turn into the Hulk. Sometimes it’s just fun to laugh at the stupid people.

I also loved how they showed that anger fuels the Hulk’s power, and in at least two distinct instances, I can remember the Hulk actually growing in size whenever someone pissed him off (mostly by shooting at him). Great bit of detail there.[/spoiler]

But I hated the comic book panel style of frame-division. I recognized why it was being done, and it’s a cool idea to try to pull off, but to me it felt like I was watching the Blair Witch Project on three screens at once - it was too busy, and I thought that if this kept up, someone sitting near me would get motion sick for sure.

The Hulk bites the big one. Don’t see it.

I liked it. I’d say it’s on par, if not slightly better than the original X-Men. Part of the problem the movie has is that the Hulk’s simply a difficult character to write for. Just look at the comics, they were terrible for the longest time.

I liked it quite a bit. It is certainly not the same kind of comic book movie as Spider-Man, Daredevil, but it was a very good movie on its own merits, although not perfect.

I also was surprised that I bought the CGI for the most part, because the trailers seemed cheesy to me. I agree that it was better than Spider-Man.