Justin Bieber And The 16th Chapel On Letterman

Again he did not drop out of school he has a high school degree. He wanted a GED but his mom made him. (Pattie is hardcore. Justin Bieber gets grounded, no lie.)

Then he has even less excuse.

I do not disagree with this. Sistine Chapel GREAT SCOTT!

I’m about to make an “ask tha” Should I?

Sure. I have a couple.

Oh, Christ. I lived in Germany for a couple of years, and I didn’t understand the question the first time I heard it, either. The host was a moron. He said “Justin,” and then “Bieber,” as if he was just trying to get his attention, and then asked, “Is German for basketball?”, which makes no sense. Bieber had no idea what he was asking, and when he asked him to repeat the question, the host dutifully repeated, “Is German for basketball?” Bieber then tried to make sense of it by thinking “German” might be slang for “avid” in whatever dialect the host was speaking.

I consider it an affront to civilization that 90% of rock/pop/hip-hop “stars” are able to make the money they do, and Bieber IMO is a shining example of that, but I’ll take his side on this one.

The Sistine Chapel is a different and excruciatingly embarrassing case, though.

From this interview:

In other words, he was thrown by the non-rhotic New Zealand accent, which (like 99% of Americans) he was not accustomed enough to to avoid moments of confusion. Which is completely forgiveable.

Also, TonySinclair raises an excellent point about the confusion with the way the host said “Justin… Bieber… is ‘German’ for basketball, true or false?”, and then just kept saying “Is ‘German’ for basketball” afterwards, never repeating the subject “Bieber” again. It was perfectly reasonable to misparse the initial question, be confused by its ungrammatical structure, and be particularly confused by the repetition of this ungrammatical structure, on top of the accent difficulties, and everything else.

Er, those single quotes belong around “Bieber”, not “German”. I’ve fucked up the same use-mention distinction that confused the kid. Ah, whatever…

Yeah, but didn’t the host then show him the written question directly? It’s astonishing to me that it’s difficult for some people to believe that he could be this stupid.

Only at the very end, and by then, Justin Bieber was probably so anxious about the confusion, he wasn’t really reading the card, just wanting to move on to the next thing.

[Indeed, if you look at the video, at that point after reading the card, he still doesn’t understand the question; he says “‘Is German for basketball?’? I don’t know what that means”. It’s still not clear to him that the word “‘Bieber’” is supposed to be the subject of that question, because he was so thrown by the initial misparsing.]

Again, from the interview:

I think it’s fair to say he knew what German was.

OK, I’ll give him a pass this once… But I’ve got my eyes on all of you.

He has in fact been to Bieber, Germany.

Sorry to re-bump this but this just showed up on Tumblr and I thought it was funny.

In which you mock pop star for not knowing name of famous chapel and you also apparently don’t know name of famous chapel.

Yeah, it must royally suck to have your every move scrutinised and obsessed over by hair-collecting weirdoes.

The whole premise of this thread may be wrong.

On Jimmy Kimmel’s show last night, he showed a clip from “Glass House,” where a couple of women were discussing a third woman, who claimed to be an Art History major. Woman #1 said, approximately, “How can she be an Art History major and not even know who painted the Sixteenth Chapel?”

I can only surmise that the Sixteenth Chapel is a work of art that is not widely known to the riffraff, but is famiiar to serious art scholars, like Bieber and the woman on the reality show.

Incidentally, the clip concluded with the woman in question admitting that she was not an Art History major, but was really a Psych major, who had concealed it because she did not want to intimidate the other women. Woman #1, still skeptical, challenged her to name a single famous psychologist and his viewpoint. The Psych major responded, “Dr. Phil.”

Guess what? I agree. ISWYDT.

The Bieb gets put on the table as a pawn in the AZ immigration law debate.