Kansas teen makes two holes-in-one during same round

Not bad for a 13-year-old.

I’m impressed that a 13-year-old was even able to reach the green in one shot. Doesn’t that take some amount of strength?

I’m also impressed that there’s still something called “AOL” with a presence on the Internet.

The par-3 holes in question were 118 and 100 yards long respectively.

Still an unbelievable achievement.

*There was a 99-yard par 3 with a challenging uphill approach on my home municipal course. The closest I ever got to the pin was about 2 feet.

Not bad considering he is not even Korean:

(Spoiler: where the famous five holes in one are explained in an unexpected and, to me, credible fashion).

Thanks. I don’t think I’d read this before. At first, it was similar to a narrative written by someone who went and ran in Pyonyang’s marathon, but then it does indeed explain why the golf error was made.

Using this relative-to-par method, can we determine Kim Jong Il’s “actual” score? Quotes are intentional, as “actual” doesn’t exist. Just converting the one they wrote down to normal golf scoring.

The article, as noted on the AOL page, was published in the Wichita Eagle. I’m pretty sure the Eagle’s online edition is paywalled, so I was happy that I found the AOL link. Although, like you, I was quite surprised to find it.

I suppose you would have to know what he scored on the other holes and what the par for the whole course is.

I don’t buy that. The article correctly notes that even the score recorded on the scorecard would be fudged. But do you really believe that Dear Leader’s caddy, who’s already fudging his score, would write down a score that’s never under par, and over par on 13 out of 18 holes?

That would explain why he never played again.
Now seriously: the whole story is bogus anyway, whatever the caddie wrote whichever way. I thought that it was an interesting perspective on a well known “fact” concerning wholes in one, so it was fitting here. Now if we dig too deep into this we will awaken the Board’s Hijack Guardian, so beware!

I was out driving with my kids years ago and stopped at a driving range at my son’s request. He was 12 or 13 at the time and had only played miniature golf.

We got a bucket of balls and the guy showed my son the basics of how to stand and hold the club. He immediately started hitting balls way out there. Adults stopped hitting balls to watch. My son was a natural, for some reason.

That was the last time he ever drove a golfball. He thought it was silly.

Considering that there are more than 500 million rounds played in the US each year, it probably happens several times a year.
I guess part of the ‘newsworthyness’ is that the boy is 13 (and good going, kid!).

Highly, highly doubtful.

Considering that the odds of this happening are 67 million to one.

Then you’d expect it to happen over 7 times a year. If those are really the odds, and it’s really a random thing. Which I doubt.

Yes, my brain wasn’t functioning early in the morning. I Googled it, and actually got several recent hits.

It’s happened three times in PGA play: 1955, 2006, and 2015. That’s probably not surprising, given the fact that the Par-3 holes on the tour are long and not easy to birdie.