Kanye West is $53 MM in debt?

Ahem. He’s a gay fish.

Serious answer - extras at his last show were told to project Rwandan refugee camp vibes. Love the instructions list: “No Fast Movements” “No Slow Movements”…

“Greatest artist of all time”, ladeez an gennulmun

They look like extras from Les Miserables.

Maybe Ms. Swift could front him a few bucks. After all, if it weren’t for him…

…that “bitch” wouldn’t be famous.

So why is this guy popular? Shameless self-promotion? Right place at the right time? Moron with charisma? Is everybody convinced he’s a modern day Che Guevara because he stormed a stage a couple of times?

While I firmly believe that Kanye West is either really and truly mentally ill, and/or really not that bright, the debt number on its own doesn’t tell us the entire story. It’s like noting that a profitable company like Apple or Exxon has billions of dollars in debt.

Or… like looking at most homeowners and pointing out that they have tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt. Doesn’t mean they’re broke, just that they borrowed money.

That’s not to say that Kanye’s not in a uncomfortable position, but it’s all dependent on how much cash he brings in, and whether or not he’s actually paying that debt off. It sounds like he’s rather juvenile in his conception of how debt works, and that may be part of the problem.

I saw, based on some peremptory googling, that he brings in something like 22 million a year. 53 million in debt isn’t absurd in light of that- it’s about the same ratio of debt to income as a good sized mortgage to a lot of professional people, or maybe even less, depending on the income and the mortgage.

My favourite example is baseball player Lenny Dykstra, who when he went broke was said to have $50,000 in assets and “between $10 and $50 million in debt.”

I mean, that’s one hell of a broad range, isn’t it? If the bankruptcy guy says “it’s somewhere between ten and fifty million” that’s basically him admitting “we have a garbage bag full of receipts and have no idea where to begin.”

Help get Kanye out of debt-GoFundMe page.

It’s a semi-joke by a fan.

it’s now up to drumroll $895!

In fairness to Kanye, Taylor Swift doesn’t seem to be too picky when it comes to whom she’ll have sex with.

Pizza Hut responds:

Does he owe Pizza Hut money?

It’s funny and well deserved, but why would they get into a twitter war with that putz?

Does anyone believe any of this stuff anymore? I feel like PR is very savvy about finding new and absurd ways of getting their clients’ names out there. Maybe I’m just cynical but I find it hard to believe any celebrity “news” story anymore.

Sure this could be a creation of his PR people. But how does it help his image is it to portray him as deluded and broke? Because that’s how the recent tweets come across.

Always the reasonable and rational minded question, this.

Unfortunately the answer always seems to be: There is (almost) no such thing as bad publicity. i.e. His wife’s sex video.

That woman can’t keep a relationship for more than a couple of months. A lot of those are only one month long. I read a thing a while back that John Mayer said she won’t put out. And since the celebrities she dates can go to the grocery store and get three girls to take back to bed anytime they want that might be why her relationships are so short.

I just want her to hook up with Adelle, and then they have a horribly painful breakup, and both do several albums about the fallout from that. YMMV.

I can’t be the only one that finds this sort of gossip lame. If she were a guy, she’d be excused as “just sowing his oats” and such. Seriously “a lot are only a month long”? So? It’s called dating. That’s what you’re supposed to do, right? Go out for a bit and see if you’re compatible. If not, you cut your loses and move on. Maybe she’s the picky one? Who knows?

I’m also kind of over people saying she’s at fault for either screwing around too much, or now not screwing around enough.

Even if she was just screwing around, so what?

I just realized I was whooshed.

Evidently, pretty much everybody is now trolling that putz with fake job offers.

Yep. Leave her alone. Seriously, if I were her, I’d be sampling all them fellas.