Kasich-Hickenlooper

Apparently these two plan to make an independent run in 2020.

I love it personally, but the only way it works is if the Democrats endorse it. Since the Republicans can’t and won’t, that means Hickenlooper has to head the ticket, not Kasich.

A lot also depends on who emerges as the Democratic frontrunner. Since the ticket is an independent ticket, they can campaign all they want from now until 2020, and they’ll need to. But if a strong Democrat that looks likely to win emerges, all that will happen is Trump’s reelection. However, if all the young Democrats end up being unready for prime time and Bernie’s about to coast to the nomination, then this ticket becomes a lot more viable.

Regardless of its viability, I’ll vote for it, so I’m already on board.

Not according to your link:

Emphasis added.

But let’s say they do. It would be a great way to assure the Democrats win.

Wait, you’re saying you’ve already made your decision who to vote for… over three years from now? Despite any future developments (impeachment, war, alien contact)?

Despite a better candidate entering the race?

Ooooookay…

Well, if you’ve really decided, then we won’t be hearing from you in any of the Election and Pit threads as you flail about…

I disagree with Kasich on almost all of his specifics, but I do believe that he acts in what he believes is his constituents’ best interests, a distressingly rare trait in Republicans these days. I’d be likely to vote for most Democrats over him, but I wouldn’t mind seeing him in the White House.

I don’t know much about Hickenlooper, beyond that he’s a governor and a Democrat.

I worry about the fracturing of the parties more than I worry about the levels of corruption that exist within them. Two parties are easier to control and more consistent institutionally with the kind of system we have. Multiparty systems probably work fine in parliamentary systems but I’m not sure we really want that in a system that empowers a strong executive.

I hope Kasich runs third party, since that would almost certainly guarantee a Democratic win in 2020. But it’s probably not going to happen. A dual-party ticket is even less likely.

Bull Moose redux?

“Hick” is one of the better Democrats.

He started out as a professional geologist, and he’s very familiar with related things, such as oil and gas drilling. So he knows how important energy is. He’s also an entrepreneur, so he’s friendly to business.

His occasional need to toe the Democrat line on certain issues tends to overwhelm his personal experience on those points from time to time, but I would far rather see him as President than 95% of Democrats.

I feel sorry for that reporter who spent 40 minutes asking Kaisich and Hickenlooper questions only to find out he’d been talking to a baloney on wonder bread sandwich and a glass of milk.

Kasich annoys me BECAUSE HE SPEAKS IN ALL CAPS ALL THE TIME. HE HAS TWO ‘VOLUME’ SETTINGS: mute & SHOUT.

Kasich is no moderate, so the ticket will get zero support from the Dems in any way. But it would be a great way to peel all the non-batfuck crazy Trumpites away from the GOP. So it will never happen.

I hate to break it to you, but Trump has changed the standard of what right wing means, and by Trump’s standard Kasich is definitely a moderate.

I hate the two party clusterfuck we have so much that I will vote for any close to reasonable third party option out of principle. But I think this is probably mostly a bluff/powerplay by Kasich at this point. Trying stick another wedge in against Trump for the people wavering by scaring them that support for Trump will kill the Republican Party.

Kasich is a moderate in the sense that, while his pants are on fire, at least he’s not wearing them on his head.

He has no substantive differences from any other Republican governor. President Kasich would be no different than President Pence. Both of them would be better presidents than the Current Occupant, but then, so would my elderly poodle-mix.

There’s nothing about a Kasich-Hickenlooper ticket that would excite … well … anybody, really. Expect Walter Mondale levels of enthusiasm.

Substantive difference: When a Democratic-led federal government offers federal funding to Ohio, Kasich doesn’t refuse it out of pure spite, the way many other Republican governors do.

Beat me to it.

So, Merneith, if you had to choose between Pence and Kasich for president (and only those two), you’d flip a coin?

This is so demonstrably false, it’s almost laughable. I’d say it shows a lack of knowledge of much of what Gov. Kasich has done since becoming governor (or a lack of knowledge about former Gov. Pence, I suppose).

Gov. Kasich, for example, vetoed a fetal heartbeat abortion ban law, a law Gov. Pence would most certainly have signed. Gov. Kasich’s pro-abortion position is much less radical than that espoused by Gov. Pence.

Gov. Kasich has been more inclined to listen to the concerns of environmentalists than Pence. For example, he allowed Ohio’s Renewable Portfolio Standard to be unfrozen after letting the legislature freeze the law for two years. Gov. Kasich has been willing to moderate fracking in Ohio; he at one point was trying to get fracking allowed in state parks, but backed off that position, and also signed legislation increasing the taxes on fracking-produced hydrocarbons.

Gov. Kasich is generally opposed to mandatory minimum sentencing; Gov. Pence signed into law a mandatory minimum sentencing law of 10 years for certain drug offenses.

Need I go on?

Anti-abortion. :wink:

In last year’s last-chance-to-stop-Trump-pull-out-the-stops Indiana primary, Kasich got 7.5% of the Republican vote.

I doubt a Kasich-led third party would even draw enough votes from Trump to swing the election to a Democrat.

Primary voters are a whole different kettle of fish than general election voters. Nader was a “spoiler” in then 2000 election with < 3% of the vote.