Kid gloves for woke posters

Not really. It should also be noted that he did not literally say any such thing.

I realize that this site is dedicated to fighting ignorance and all that. But I don’t find “that argument is ignorant” to be nearly as offensive as you seem to think it is, and I don’t see any real difference between saying that “you are ignorant of the latest changes…” and saying that “you must be unaware of the latest changes…”. Personally, I would react exactly the same to being told either of those.
:woman_shrugging:

I agree, that’s the least offensive use in the list of uses.

It’s very similar to the way “Good day to you, sir” is sometimes supposed to be insulting.

In both cases, it’s not typically an insult, but can be, depending on context - generally as an obviously artificial politeness.

[That said, the amount of whining posters do over that line is incredibly out of proportion.]

That was always a lot to do about nothing though.

Regards,
Shodan

Never should have bothered anyone. Probably wouldn’t have if people also did hate the content of his posts.

Or worse yet, “Bless your Heart”

He used to reply to posts where I agreed with him with the same words. If he was using the signature for all of his posts, then I don’t get how it was supposed to be insulting. But whatever.

Again, it’s sometimes insulting and sometimes not, depending on context. In the post where Shodan “admitted” that he intended it as an insult, he didn’t say that he typically meant it as an insult, only that it sometimes had that connotation.

Not just sexuality, but gender identity as well. You can intentionally misgender someone, or an entire group of people, and have no reprisals. Saying that transgender women aren’t women and that transgenderism is an misogynist plot is perfectly fine here if you are a long time poster.

Shodan once admitted that in his mind “regards” meant “fuck you” when he was arguing with someone. Some people wanted him punished for that.

I don’t think it’s a big deal. He always signed his posts that way so it would be impossible to suss out when he meant “fuck you.”

ETA: LOL I’m not having much luck finding the post with keyword “Regards.” Can’t imagine why! :roll_eyes:

There was plenty to criticize Shodan’s posting for without resorting to the idea that “regards” is some super secret insult.

Eta: obviously, since he got banned, and not for the Regards thing.

I missed his banning. Can we not search by banned poster names? The search function won’t accept “Shodan.” I’m pretty sure that post is lost in the ether.

I’ve admitted no such thing. Your reading comprehension skills need work.

And even if I did, it would still not be hate speech. It’d just be a shitty insult.

But it’s all academic, since there are still no cites. Which is no surprise, since you made it all up.

The correct answer to that little paradox was always to stop him from doing it at all, not let him get away with it sometimes. As soon as he admitted that, and nothing was done about it, it was a failure of moderation.

It’s not some conspiracy theory, the jerk in question proudly admitted it.

It’s your very own post which I replied to. There couldn’t possibly be a more relevant cite.

You think insults based on sexual preference are fine. They are not, they are hate speech. You owe SlackerInc, among others, a major apology.

It’s hate speech even if it’s not true. If, for example, I were to tell a man to get back in the kitchen where she belongs, it would still be hate speech.

No…it would just be confusing.

It’s becoming all too clear you have no idea what hate speech is, and are just repeating the term like a parrot with early-onset dementia.

I don’t owe Slack jack. He was the one with the self-admitted predilection for fantasizing about teenage girls. Pointing that out or being dismayed at it wasn’t hate speech, either.

And a cite from the future is only a thing on Doctor Who. So you were just making shit up.

And right-wingers wonder why they are modded more often than the rest of us? It’s because the rest of us doesn’t have to resort to obvious fabulism to make our cases.

Modhat on: @Steophan & @MrDibble cool it or take it to the pit. You’re both out of line. I’m leaving it at a note. Waiting on an ATMB mod.

This is just a guidance, not a warning. Nothing on your permanent record.

I tried to find that Shodan post. I thought it would be a good exercise for the new search function. Holy crap, has anyone in SD history been pitted more than him? I found 32 Pit threads with Shodan in the title.

All I managed to find was this 2008 post where he admits to trolling.

I’m my view, that guy, who IIRC was a staunch conservative, got a ton of leeway.

Yeah, of all the things Shodan did, his petty little “I’m thinking naughty words in my head” schtick is way at the bottom of the list. He constantly misrepresented what people were saying so flagrantly that it had to be deliberate, and that’s a classically jerkish behavior. I think I first pitted him for it about fifteen years before he was banned, so that’s a long goddamned leash.