Kids Spanish Language DVDs and DVR Recommendations

Lumped together just because I don’t want to make two separate threads for small personal questions like this.

My sister in law is looking for Spanish language educational or fun programs for kids. Her daughter is three. She’s trying to support her husband’s native language as part of a multilingual environment. For English, we’ve gotten her Blue’s Clues, which she really likes, and watches a lot of Disney Channel programs, especially Pooh and Friends, some CG Mickey Mouse show, and 101 Dalmatians. She’s watched Kung Fu Panda a lot, and there are a few other cartoons that she requests English instead of Japanese. Plus she gets to listen to me natter on in English. I speak English to her almost exclusively, and I usually use it with her mom, my wife, and her father who also speak it as a second language.

For Spanish, she likes Teletubbies. She likes watching it in Spanish over English versions. Unfortunately, that’s about all we have so far. Her husband hasn’t been living in South America for a decade or more, and none of us are familiar with South American or Spanish TV programs that might be appropriate for her. They’ve got a multi-region DVD player, so pretty much anything in that format will work. We’re hoping to get some DVDs for them as gifts.

We’re also looking for some recommendations for DVRs. My wife has some VHS tapes she wants to transfer to digital and the dedicated converters are mostly in the same price range as DVRs. Since she’s thinking about getting an iMac to replace her 4 year old Windows computer, and it would be nice to be able to use that as a TV, we didn’t want to go the cheaper way of adding a card to her Winbox. We want HD support, decent screen interface, and Firewire or USB support so that we can use a computer to take files off the drive or use it to watch TV on the computer. Obviously we want it to be Mac or Mac/Win compatible.

Problem here is that we can’t get a US model since the tuner might not work here, so we’re looking for makers that have those features in the hopes that we can get a model here. We’re looking for personal input because usability is pretty hard to assess at an electronics store, especially when the thing might not even be plugged in. It’s a long shot, but I figured you guys might be able to give some recommendations that would at least narrow things down for us.

Well, that sank like a neutronium rock.

Dora the Explorer and Go Diego Go are great for kids, and have the added benefit of teaching both English and Spanish, as well as other things. (Logic, nature, etc.) My 3 and a half year old loves both and watches them religiously every day.

Sorry, that’s really the only advice I ave. Not sure if this helps at all or not.

You can try this website for Spanish language children’s DVD’s. Of those selections, my Spanish-speaking clients enjoy the series called El Chavo and the Topo Gigio series, and of course Dora the Explorer. I haven’t seen any, but my parents have fond memories of Topo Gigio!

I used to watch a sweet cartoon in Spain called “Marcelino Pan y Vino,” about a boy raised by monks who could talk to animals. Unfortunately, it doesn’t appear to be on DVD.

Thanks for the recommendations. Both Dora and Diego seem to be hit and miss on Amazon as far as Spanish audio on the DVDs. I guess because both were primarily English with included Spanish. They look fun and interesting, though, so we’re probably going to order one of each and see if our niece likes them.

I’ve also taken a look at the store link, Pyper, thank you. Some of those I can find elsewhere for much cheaper, but they also have a bunch of things that don’t seem to be readily available other places. We might be using them for ordering that stuff.

I appreciate the help.