Kids' stepfather arrested for child molestation - what can their father do?

Another update: Greg talked to the DA and she said that they are going to prosecute Stepfather on the charge of committing lewd and lascivious acts with a child under the age of 14, but that the charges of sexual penetration with a foreign object and sexual battery will not be pursued. She indicated that the evidence was strongest on the first charge. We still don’t know any details.

Not sure when everything will happen, but I’m sure it all takes some time. So we’ll just continue waiting.

Some people in this thread suggested we try to find out who the woman is whose child was the victim and get the “straight dope” from her on what happened so Greg can make an educated decision on his children’s welfare. We’re not really sure how we would find out who she is, but I am sure it could be done. What do y’all think - should we do that? Or just let the “powers that be” do their thing?

Is Greg still in Virginia or is he on his way to California yet? He should be in California, camped out at a hotel and ready to take his boys with him the minute the judge grants his emergency order for custody.

If you guys need financial help, just let us know. I’m sure the good people of the Straight Dope would do whatever we can to help those children escape a potential child molester.

This is really serious, and I have this weird feeling that you guys are too scared to take immediate action, for fear of some unknown later bad feelings on the part of the mother. Let me just say that HER feelings mean diddly squat. Protecting those children has to be priority number one. Damn the torpedos, full steam ahead!

Good luck!

I just don’t know how you could decide if what she says is credible or not. But more information is better than less. I think it would need to be Greg personally making the contact, parent to parent, so he can make the case of how he is trying to make a judgement on the safety of his own kids.

OTOH, the guy is basically being charged with raping a young girl. What does Greg think he can learn that would change his thinking?

If there’s any good news here, it’s that the child he’s charged with molesting is a different sex than Greg’s kids, which makes them marginally safer, I think. Though in truth, I don’t know enough about the pathology of molestation to really say if that’s true.

If I were Greg, I would talk to a psychiatrist who specializes in abuse, and lay out what is known, and ask for some kind of risk assessment.