[QUOTE=lokij]
A LAN party is when you have a bunch of geeky computer gamer types meet up with their PCs in tow. They then form a Local Area Network on which they play head to head multiplayer games, usually for a long long long time. Caffeinated beverages and unhealthy foods are consumed. Porn and Music are often traded. That kind of thing.
[/QUOTE]
Porn? PORN? Goddamned kids. 
It was great. Not the first LAN he’s done ( -sigh-…not nearly ) but the first he’s done outside. It’s perfect. The deck is just a few feet above grade, up against the house. I ran power from two ends of the house, through windows. Blocked the gaps in the window with foam. ( bugs.). Dropped the Ethernet through a window. 10 boys played.
At some point around 12:30am they all walked the mile to the local diner, hung out, came back, played. They play Counter-Strike, so it is a bit of a misnomer to call it a L.A.N. party as they are playing each other ( and other clans ) over the Internet.
I stocked up on caffeninated power drinks. Most of them were consumed. I put out cookies and peanuts. None were touched. Appparently my judgement in snack food is out of date. Good- I won’t get junk food again for 'em.
Son checked the weather for days before this. 10 boys in the family room woulda been rough, we would have put them into the dining room. The area was dry as a bone with not even a hint of precipitation. I figured they wouldn’t last through dew point and I think they did not. I awoke to find a huge tarp over the tables. All monitors were pulled in under it. All of the CPU towers are gone, so it must have been when dew point hit they got worried about the moisture and shut it down.
I was really starting to get worried about the kid and the utter lack of physical activity. He’d been getting pudgier, sitting there year after year summer and winter, gaming. Of late he’s been hitting the bungee-cord workout machine we got him and the new Nordic Track Elliptical I got. -shrug- If gaming is what flips his switch, that’s fine by me.
This was a birthday celebration. The Man-Cub™ is 17, he has nice friends, good student, just inducted into the National Technical Honor Society, etc. What’s not to like?
Now, what was that about kids trading porn??? :eek:
