L.P. gas

I am converting my 4 burner nat gas range to LP gas. I need to find out what pressure regulator to put out at my 100# LP cylinder that will set outside. The conversion on the range itself is done. Thanks

I could guess, but do you really want to bet your life on my guess? Ask the gas company.

It’s been a while since I was in that business, but as I recall natural gas home appliances (including ranges) run about 4” water column pressure to the burners. LP appliances run about 11” water column. (For reference, 1 psi equals approx 28” water column.)

Another thing to remember is you’ll probably need to change the orifice(s). LP burner orifices usually run about half the size of natural gas orifices for the same BTU rating. For example, many common natural gas pilot burners use a .022 orifice, while an LP orifice for the same pilot runs down to about .011. At least, that’s what I seem to remember, it has been 15 years.

Best advice? Check with the appliance manufacturer. (In fact, the last gas range I purchased came with a set of LP orifices, and a replacement spring for the regulator.)

If you can’t get anything out of the manufacturer, check with a reputable appliance repair/parts shop, or your local gas company. And if you’re not very sure of what you’re doing, don’t do it! Get a professional instead.