LAPD as judge, jury, and executioner

It’s a fair bet that the LAPD would, too.

I’m not a fan of the LAPD…but murderers DO NOT get the benefit of the doubt. His every word is suspect. Once you have murdered, especially civilians, nothing you say can be taken at face value.

Sadly, this is not uncommon for police in Southern California. LAPD, Sheriff’s Deputies…

So of course this guy Dorner is a crazy asshole, but you know, I believe every word he says in his crazy, rambling manifesto when he accuses LAPD of massive brutality and racism, and their retaliation tactics against those who attempt to report fellow officers for using excessive force. But shitty cops in LA? What else is new? Uh, not that this makes his revenge rampage okay.

No, they shouldn’t. Yes, they fucked up big time, but they are trying to bring in or kill a guy out to murder innocent people. Their “mistakes”, however mind-numbingly dumb they might be, do not put them into the same category as the douchebag murderer. That’s not to say that they should suffer consequences. They should.

This is how I see it too. Killing folks right off the bat isn’t a way to endear yourself to the public and make your message gain traction. I’m guessing he didn’t watch “V for Vendetta.”

There’s no way the police are going to take him alive.

The USA is made up of 50 states. Most states have several to dozens of cities/counties, each with their own police force. Police forces are local, though many states also have a smaller state police force. There is no USA police force firearms doctrine.

Ignoring that, officially, police (in the few jurisdictions I am familiar with) are supposed to use the minimum amount of force necessary. Doesn’t always happen, of course. And shooting a vehicle with unarmed people certainly does not qualify as minimum force. This isn’t a defense of the LAPD’s actions, as they are indefensible. This is an indictment of a foolish and frankly, quite idiotic, statement.

Oh, don’t be silly. We only use advanced interrogation techniques on foreign muslims.

Depending on how negligent they were, the consequences could be as serious as negligent homicide (or its equivalent).

Might make great ad copy. “See that shit? They lived. Toyota.”

Reform from within.
Hahahaha! Just a joke to lighten the mood.

I don’t expect any reform from this. There is however a small chance that Dorner might clear his name in the disciplinary action that originated this whole sad saga,

By the mechanism of accountability? It’s kind of lacking when it comes to police departments nation wide.

Ok, maybe killing their families for their incompetence, stupidity, abuse of power, etc isn’t the best option. But meet me in the middle somewhere.

How about something more than paid vacations, and less than family annihilation.

Anyone know if the incidents in this guy’s manifesto have any merit?

What we as a nation need is a Batman. But one that doesn’t engage the criminals, but rather, keeps the cops in line - or rather DOES engage the criminals, but only the ones wearing blue.

Would love that.

Yeah, don’t on hearing the phrase “You know that guy who killed all those innocent people? He was right.”

Trouble being that a cop’s role appeals to two opposite extreme types of people. There’s they guys who truly want to protect and serve and bless their hearts, now and forever. And there’s they guys who want to wear a gun and push people around. And sorting them out in advance is pretty much impossible.

I’ve met a couple of the first type, and we can never have too many of them. Met the other kind too, and one is too many. And so it goes.

Just read the entire “Manhunt Manifesto” that the LAPD released.

What I learned: Man, I have got to sit down and write a manifesto! The guy hits every major issue of civilization, including gun control and Dave Brubeck’s music, and includes messages to Colin Powell, Ellen Degeneres, Charlie Sheen, and Anthony Bourdain. Even Larry David.

I’m pretty sure [censored] didn’t [redacted] [blank]. I’m not sure about the time [redacted] [censored] [witheld], though.

The “OK to torture/kill” labels are blending together: terrorist, enemy combatant, enemy of the state. Hey, the police beating people up to get info was pretty normal a hundred years ago.

I recall some quote from the time saying that American police “compare favorably to the Inquisition” in their fondness for torture.

The US is hardly the only nation where cops can be really brutal.

I’ve heard enough stories about the French and Japanese treatment of their suspects, particularly those that are “minorities” by their standards to recognize that the US police are hardly the only ones in the world to, at least occasionally, beat confessions out of suspects.