Last Remaining Cast Members

“I don’t know why people keep saying you’re dead.”

…time passes

“Who says I’m dead?!”

Good one.

Joe Turkel’s death leaves Candice Bergen, 76, as the last cast member with a speaking part in The Sand Pebbles. James Hong’s lines were cut, and he’s rumored to be immortal anyway.

James Hong might belong in our “national treasure” list. People forget he was born in the far away land of:

Minnesota

I may actually have sat next to him on the bus when I was a small child. :slight_smile:

Seems a bit of a weird distinction to identify her as the “last surviving adult cast member.” As the article itself notes, several of the child actors are still alive including those who played Zuzu and Tommy.

Child cast members have a natural advantage in reaching “last cast member living” status.

It makes some sense if there’s a clear discrete grouping by generation, as there often is with a sitcom. I don’t remember that being the case with It’s a Wonderful Life.

Am I wrong, or is Teri Garr the last remaining from Young Frankenstein? Yeah, Gene Hackman is still with us, but he wasn’t a main cast member.

How could you forget Monte Landis, who so memorably played the part of Gravedigger #1?

(Okay, he only had a small part in that movie. But he’s a recognizable character actor from the sixties who I was surprised to see it still around.)

Or Mel Brooks. He did the howling wolf and the shrieking cat. :stuck_out_tongue:

Hackman was crucial to the film and should be included along with any other actor considered important to the movie.

Anne Beasley, the little girl, is still alive.

Robert Clary, last surviving cast member of Hogan’s Heroes (and Auschwitz survivor) died November 16

Kenneth Washington was a regular the final season of the show and probably the youngest cast member. He is still alive and only 76.

He played Sgt. Baker who replaced Ivan Dixon (Sgt Kinchloe)

Was that substitution ever explained/acknowledged (in universe)?

No, not at all.

It was never explained in show and I can’t find the reason for it behind the scenes. I’m not sure if he got fired, opted out of his contract or what the deal was. But it is a little jarring when suddenly he’s gone.

The Show Runners did one thing well if I recall correctly. I’m pretty sure Kenneth Washington was in a few episodes as a background POW before season 5. So at least he didn’t come out of nowhere.

Ivan Dixon moved from acting to directing. Looking at his IMDB credits he seems to have started directing immediately after leaving HH, although he still did some occasional guest shots.