Learn how to pronounce, "President" Bush

FTR, I was being sarcastic. But my true feelings are that I don’t give a whit what sounds Shrub’s mouth does or doesn’t like to place in sequence. To me, orthography is important, and so is diction.

As far as your remonstrance to ubermensch above, I believe he stated quite clearly why he was placing Shrub’s title in quotes. It appears that he’s okay with Shrub supporters thinking he looks like an ass.

What I’m seeing is that there’s really no “i” there, Ace. Tricky language, ain’t it?! The ‘ng’ is the syllable former. Sonorant consonats, in addition to vowels, can form syllables. BTW, the ‘ng’ is represented in the IPA (International Phonetic Alphabet) by one sybmol because it’s one sound.

A good example (classic, even) is the pronunciation of the word ‘bird’. The IPA (you can get that from http://www.sil.org) shows it as follows:

I’ll go ahead and write each segment’s description next to it and then write the next segment beneath that.

b voiced bilabial stop
upside down r with a small vertical line under it syllabic r, sometimes represented by the schwa with a little tick mark on the upper right side & in that case called a “r-colored schwa”
d voiced alveolar stop

There’s no ‘i’ in that word either.

So, getting back to larngks what we’re dealing with at the end is the velar nasal followed by the voiceless velar stop which is in turn followed by the voiceless alveolar fricative.

Is “militarily” such a word? He said that.

Oh, I see, kaylas. You don’t give a whit about facts. I’ll keep that in my notes.

Joe:

Dictionary.com gives militarily as an adverb in the entry for military.

So is President Bush incapable of saying clear then? Does he instead say cular? If not, then I suggest that it has little to do with Bush’s dialect or an unfamiliarity with a “particular set of sounds” and more to do with upbringing and education.

I’d be interested to hear how he pronounces binocular.

Please see above, Skogcat, where I mentioned word-initial, word-medial, and word-final. Those are all different environments and some segments can appear in one of those environments but not the other, depending on the dialect/language concerned of course.

Bush has more education than I do, so I doubt very seriously it has to do with a lack thereof.

BTW, Skog; how do you feel about the OP’s griping about the pronunciation of the r?

[hijack]

Waaait, doesn’t dictionary.com say “larynx” is pronounced LARE-inks?

… not LARE-nix?

:confused:

[/hijack]

Ha! I’d like to ask you to refamiliarize yourself with a little thing called “The War for Texas Independence.”
:stuck_out_tongue:

scablet:

No, it does not. Look at it again. Tell me, please, where, in the pronunciation section (that’s the nifty bit between the parentheses), that there’s an i.

Upon close inspection–heck, even upon cursory inspection–one will notice that there’s no i in the pronunciation.

Monty:

From the OED, larinks (the n has a funny little tail to it that I cannot do but it is not pertinent to the discussion).

This actually doesn’t contradict your larngks but what you are failing to see (or hear) is that the i sound, that is almost implied in some accents, falls between the r and the n. lar(i)ngks.

ngks equals nx
ngks does not equal nix

(on preview)

Monty I don’t have much of an opinion over the two r sounds. It does amuse me that it sounds like tourism but I recognise it as lazy speach patterns. Nukular, on the other hand, gives the impression that he is an idiot (I do realise he is not an idiot and undoubtedly far better educated than I but that is still the impression he gives).

And just to be clear. My larinks above is from the pronunciation section for the entry Larynx.

and on further perusal of the dictionary I see that the funny n shaped thing is the symbol for the ng sound, so my dictionary says laringks

The President also used a couple of redundancies tonight. One was “proceed forward.” Does anyone remember the other one?

From http://m-w.com

Main Entry: lar·ynx
Pronunciation: 'lar-ings

There’s an audio of the pronounciation there too if you search for it, though I can’t link to it.

Well this is what I see for larynx:

lar’ingks

with the ‘a’ and the ‘i’ both appearing as superscripts, with curvy lines over them.

Wasn’t sure what the ‘superscript i with curvy line over it’ meant in Proper Phonetic-speak, so just for fun I looked up finish

fin’ish

with the i’s appearing exactly the same way as in ‘larynx’.

So what’s the difference? If the i is “really there” in ‘finish’ (which I hope we can all agree on) why is it “not really there” in larynx?

Uhh, okay - in the “nifty bit between the parentheses,” there’s an i.

(lar’ingks)

of course, the “a” and “i” both have breves over them.

But they are there.

And they look like
this and this, respectively (warning: hideously tiny graphics!).

Do you not have image viewing enabled or somesuch?

Between the r and the n there is an i with a ( rotated anticlockwise through 90 degrees, above it. This symbol is for the sound i as in Pit. That is where the i is, and it occurs in front of the ngks

Oh, Mum always told me how it would feel the day I ended up on the tail-end of a triple simupost… but I never believed her… :frowning: