Learned a new word today! dibber - it's a tool. You have a new word for us?

I’ve been an avid reader since age 6 and always scored really well in vocabulary tests. It’s fun learning new words.

I’m surprised that I hadn’t ran across a dibber before. It’s an old gardening tool used for centuries. I need one to sprig some St Augustine grass.

Hey! Another new word for me. brassicas - thats 2 words today.

A dibber example.
http://www.gardentoolsforallseasons.com/garden%20tools/potato%20dibber.php

I encountered dibber in Boccaccio’s Decameron, that collection of salacious stories, where a penis is euphemistically referred to as “the dibber used to plant men”.
My Interesting Word of the Day is Ullage, which is the empty space inside a barrel or other vessel. The emptier it is, the larger the ullage.

I play Words with Friends. I used to play a lot of people, but after a wireless vacation I dropped all of them, and concentraded on WordFeud, where my real-life acquaintances play.

Except this one player kept asking to play more on WWF. So I do. Right now, s/he is the only person I play. I keep playing because…well, we’re evenly-matched score-wise, but every. single. game. there appear from him words I’ve never heard of in my life. And I thought I’d heard a lot of words.

So let me share find the latest, let’s see… “izar”. Definition… izar - a voluminous cotton outer garment (usually white) traditionally worn by Muslim women of northern Africa and the Middle East; covers the entire body

So I basically learn something new every day just from that one person. Pretty cool. :slight_smile:

Saponification: The chemical reaction that occurs when a vegetable oil or animal fat is mixed with a strong alkali.
Trace: A stage in soapmaking called the “point of no return.” In layman’s terms, this is when the separate oils, fats, and lye officially *become *soap.
Nail-marbling: A method of painting fingernails that involves dropping nail polish onto the surface of a cup of water to make neato designs, taping up the skin around the nails, then dipping nails into the polish on the water. It yields some *remarkably *professional-looking results, given that it’s a solo process!

Do you subscribe to A Word A Day?
I really enjoy their free daily e-mails.

I forgot to add a word. This week’s theme was reduplicatives, and that was the word I learned! It means words that repeat the same word, such as chop-chop or yada yada.

Frass: insect poop.

Picoreef: a small marine aquarium.

Petrichor : the smell of rain on dry earth

Tittle: the dot on top of the letters i and j.