Lefties Playing the Race/Islamophobia Card

Not hors d’oeurves, but dessert. I’ve made this before it’s the best flan I’ve ever tried. The only tricky bit is the caramel sauce:

FLAN (From America’s Test Kitchen)
This recipe should be made at least one day before serving. We recommend an 8 1/2 by 4 1/2-inch loaf pan for this recipe. If your pan is 9 by 5 inches, begin checking for doneness at 1 hour. You may substitute 2 percent milk for the whole milk, but do not use skim milk. Serve the flan on a platter with a raised rim to contain the liquid caramel.

INGREDIENTS
• 2/3cup (4 2/3 ounces) sugar
• 2large eggs plus 5 yolks
• 1(14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
• 1(12-ounce) can evaporated milk
• 1/2cup whole milk
• 1 1/2tablespoons vanilla extract
• 1/2teaspoon salt

INSTRUCTIONS

1. Stir together sugar and 1/4 cup water in medium heavy saucepan until sugar is completely moistened. Bring to boil over medium-high heat, 3 to 5 minutes, and cook, without stirring, until mixture begins to turn golden, another 1 to 2 minutes. Gently swirling pan, continue to cook until sugar is color of peanut butter, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from heat and swirl pan until sugar is reddish-amber and fragrant, 15 to 20 seconds. Carefully swirl in 2 tablespoons warm tap water until incorporated; mixture will bubble and steam. Pour caramel into 8 1/2 by 4 1/2-inch loaf pan; do not scrape out saucepan. Set loaf pan aside.
  2. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 300 degrees. Line bottom of 13 by 9-inch baking pan with dish towel, folding towel to fit smoothly, and set aside. Bring 2 quarts water to boil.
  3. Whisk eggs and yolks in large bowl until combined. Add sweetened condensed milk, evaporated milk, whole milk, vanilla, and salt and whisk until incorporated. Strain mixture through fine-mesh strainer into prepared loaf pan.
  4. Cover loaf pan tightly with aluminum foil and place in prepared baking pan. Place baking pan in oven and carefully pour all of boiling water into pan. Bake until center of custard jiggles slightly when shaken and custard registers 180 degrees, 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours. Remove foil and leave custard in water bath until loaf pan has cooled completely. Remove loaf pan from water bath, wrap tightly with plastic wrap, and chill overnight or up to 4 days.
  5. To unmold, slide paring knife around edges of pan. Invert serving platter on top of pan and turn pan and platter over. When flan is released, remove loaf pan. Using rubber spatula, scrape residual caramel onto flan. Slice and serve. (Leftover flan may be covered loosely with plastic wrap and refrigerated for up to 4 days.)

TECHNIQUE
DON’T LET THE CARAMEL STICK TO THE PAN
The rich layer of caramel on top of flan is the best part of the dessert—except when most of it sticks to the pan like glue. Adding a couple of tablespoons of water to the syrup after it’s caramelized will dissolve some of the sugar and keep it runny. In addition, resting the flan overnight allows moisture from the custard to dissolve more of the sugar, ensuring that most of the caramel will release from the pan (and that what’s left in the pan is soft and easy to remove).

CLINGY CARAMEL: To prevent the caramel from sticking to the pan, we add a little water.

A comic-book* classic:

*I do not mean to suggest, imply, insinuate, or otherwise indicate that comic books are in any way to be compared, equated, juxtaposed, or otherwise associated with the inanity, silliness, juvenility, or general immaturity of the OP.

GREEN ARROW’S CHILI

Ingredients:

1 ½ pounds lean sirloin chunks
2 teaspoons of cumin
2 teaspoons of paprika
1 teaspoon of cayenne
1 cup minced onion
½ cup of chopped green pepper (optional)
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 ½ teaspoons of salt
½ teaspoon of dried basil, crushed
1 tablespoon California chili powder (hot)
1 tablespoon Gebhardt chili powder
1 tablespoon Hot New Mexico chili powder
1 16-ounce can of tomatoes, cut up
2 8-ounce cans of tomato sauce
2 16-ounce cans of dark red kidney beans, partially drained
1 teaspoon of brown sugar
Tabasco sauce to taste
½ cup water

Garnish:

Grated Cheese
Oyster crackers or saltines
Chopped onions

Directions:

In a large saucepan, brown ground beef and spices together until flavor blends well.
Drain fat.
Add onion, green pepper and garlic and cook until soft.
Stir in undrained tomatoes, seasonings, tomato sauce and water into a large pan.
Let simmer for several hour. Occasionally stir.
Ten minutes before serving, add brown sugar, tobasco sauce, and beans.
Serve with “help yourself” bowls of grated cheese, oyster crackers, and chopped onions.

Anyone have a recipie for “Kill them all, God will know his own” Falafel & Schwarma mix?

Flan always reminds me of a wonderful meal I had at Mallorca, a restaurant on Pittsburgh’s southside that features the food of one area in Spain.

When the tuxedo wearing waiter came over to discuss dessert, he recited a very long list of choices in extreme detail while standing at attention with his hands behind his back. “Tonight the chef offers fresh raspberries in a nest of whipped Irish cream with finely shredded coconut that is sauteed in lemon juice with rose petals” level descriptions of fifteen different dessert choices. It took him five minutes to recite the choices.

He finished his recitation with, “and flan”.

Anytime I see a long, detailed list, I always tack on to the end, “and flan”.

Best fucking thread response, ever.

I’ve a rack of ribs chilling in my freezer. Any suggestions for simple preparations?

Wait, Green Arrow’s Chili uses “Red” New Mexican Chili powder!?

Since we are in the pit, I must say that that anyone who suggests such a recipe should staked in the white sands desert be devoured by the roving bands of wild chihuahua. If Green Arrow is making New Mexican Chili it should be made with Green Chili, which being the food of the gods is far superior to any of that texi mexi sort of chili that the plebs make. Come one, his name is “Green” arrow. What gives.

Hmmm…interesting. I would make this modification, though, when making it: Do not brown the beef with all those spices (and, worse, then pour off all the fat which has all the spicy goodness in it.) To make this a truly flavorful chili, go ahead and brown your beef, and if it’s particularly fatty, pour off all but one or two tablespoons of the fat. Then add the onion, garlic, and green pepper (?!) and cook it until soft. Then, put in your spices, and cook over medium heat for about a minute while stirring to keep the spices from scroching. Mix it up good. You basically want to accomplish something callled “blooming” your spices. Most spices, especially chili peppers, release fat-soluble compounds into the oil. Once you have the spices well distributed in the oil and fragrant, continue on with the tomatoes and rest of the recipe.

Well, I think there’s your problem. Nowhere does it say he’s making New Mexican chili. Of course, as you note, Green Arrow making a bowl of green would have a nice symmetry to it. Then again, I think he is trying to be geographically diverse, featuring chili powders from California, Texas, and New Mexico.

Interesting suggestions, but it’s clear that the only thing it needs is more crackers. You don’t agree, take it up with the Bat.

I’m tempted to give the recipe a shot this week, although I don’t think anyone sells California or New Mexico chili powders around here. Gerbhardt’s I can find, though. I might have to substitute guajillo and ancho for those.

Poor old lefties- they get picked on in the OP, then people suggest a bunch of recipes using canned stuff.

Don’t think how of hard it is for lefties to open cans, do you, eh?

At least they know when not to whine about it, though.

I apologize for the left-handed compliment.

DRAMATICALLY SEARED GREEN BEANS WITH GARLIC AND CHILE
All Things Considered, November 24, 2008 from “The Vegetable Dishes I Can’t Live Without”
Yield: 4 - 6 servings

Once the beans are trimmed, all you need is a large hot pan, and the rest is one big, quick sizzling action!
These will keep for up to a week in a tightly covered container (or a zip-style plastic bag) in the refrigerator.

2 tablespoons canola oil or peanut oil
1 pound whole green beans, trimmed
1 Pinch of coarse Salt
1 tablespoon minced or crushed garlic
1 or 2 dashes Red pepper flakes

1. Place a large, deep skillet or wok over medium heat. After about two minutes, add the oil, and swirl to coat the pan.
  2. Turn the heat to high, and wait another 30 seconds or so, then add the green beans and a big pinch of salt.
  3. Cook over high heat, shaking the pan and/or using tongs to turn and move the beans so they cook quickly and evenly.
  4. After about 3 minutes, take a taste test and see if the beans are done to your liking. They should be relatively crunchy, but you get to decide. If you like them cooked a little more, keep going until they’re your kind of tender.
  5. Sprinkle in the garlic and some red pepper flakes, and cook for just a minute longer. Serve hot, warm, or at room temperature.

Beef or pork?

I’m really not into appetizers, but if I must, just hard boiled egg with anchovy is really good. I saw it on a ciccetti spread at a Venetian bar. Fasten 'em together with a fancy toothpick, if you want.

SCOTCH AND SODA

Add the Scotch to a highball or rocks glass filled with ice.
Top with soda and stir briefly.

I made the mistake of ordering this at my grammar school reunion. I got a scotch with 7-up. I specified “club soda” the next time.

Whatever you do, DON’T make Jello salad!

Drink until OP makes some kind of sense.