Legends of Tomorrow Season 6

Season 6 of DC’s Legends of Tomorrow premieres on May 2, 2021. Note the schedule change: Legends now airs on Sunday rather than Tuesday. In other words, Legends and Supergirl have switched days.

It’s the Legends…IIIN SPAAAAAAACE!

Casting changes: Of the OG Legends, only Caity Lotz (Sara Lance/White Canary), Dominic Purcell (Mick Rory/Heatwave), and Amy Louise Pemberton (Gideon) remain. Jess Macallan (Ava), Matt Ryan (Constantine), Nick Zano (Nate Heywood/Steel), Tala Ashe (Zari Tarazi), Olivia Swann (Astra Logue), and Matt Ryan (Constatine) continue as regular cast members. Shayan Sobhain (Behrad Tarazi) and Adam Tsekhman (Gary Green) have been promoted to series regulars. Lisseth Chavez will join as a new main cast member. David Ramsey has been making the rounds of all the Arrowverse shows and will reprise his Arrow role of John Diggle. Mina Sundwall will also be returning as Mick’s daughter Lita.

S0601 Ground Control to Sara Lance

Season premiere on Sunday night. Looks like the show is hitting the ground running.

A MISSING CAPTAIN - After a night of celebrating their beating the Fates, the Legends quickly discover that Sara is missing. Trying to keep it together, the Legends are shocked to discover that she was taken by Aliens. Ava sends Rory and Behrad to follow a lead on who can possibly help them find Sara, while Constantine tries to work his magic. Meanwhile, Sara does all she can to try to escape, which includes releasing Aliens into the timeline, but is shocked to learn who one of her kidnappers turns out to be.

“Being an avenger is stupid” - Sara Lance … in space!

Best season premiere in the Arrowverse, and I include Superman and Lois in that assessment. It wasted little time getting right into the plot, introducing the new character, and the new way the Legends messed up the timeline yet again – this time with aliens! Plus an actual tie-in to greater Arrowverse continuity: Got a problem with aliens? Call the DEO! Oh, right, it was destroyed by Rama Khan at the end of last season’s Supergirl.

Not to say that the episode didn’t have some good character moments:

• Ava with her clipboard (Scenario 601 – not so coincidentally the same as the episode number) predicting every Legends’ reaction to Sara’s alien abduction.

• Zari 2.0 putting her social skills to good use.

• Behrad smoking pot until he got inspiration.

• Gideon gleefully offering to dissect Esperanza’s brain.

• Mick rather alarmingly being the voice of reason amidst all the madness.

And just because they could, the writers and composers threw in David Bowie and “Space Girl”:

S0602 Meat: The Legends

WHO’S HUNGRY - With Spooner on board, Ava hopes that her special abilities will help lead them to locate the Aliens spread out on the timeline, which could ultimately lead them to Sara. The Legends soon find themselves tracking an Alien in 1950s San Bernadino and having to figure out what is making the town go on a feeding frenzy. Zari lets Behrad know she is ready to use the Totem, but Behrad isn’t ready to share it, causing tension between them. Meanwhile, after crash landing, Sara tries to figure out a plan and runs into none other than Amelia Earhart who could be her ticket home.

In this week’s story of alien butterfly monsters, Amelia Earhart and mystic bracelets, the thing that got to me was plastic baskets for a 1955 burger joint. Either metal or wicker at that time period, I think.

I like that they dressed up a landscape full of alien plants, Star Trek TOS style.

Gary’s deck of famous women is some sort of foreshadowing, isn’t it? Sara and Gary are going to be cruising the galaxy meeting these famous women, each of whom will be in a playing card.

Spooner looks like she’s going to fit in well on the Waverider. Another strong woman added to the cast. This show does feminism much, much better than Batwoman or Supergirl.

ETA: The secret origin of Big Belly Burger! Thanks to the Legends for the Arrowverse’s favorite burger joint.

I took Gary’s reference to “singing plants” as a TOS (“The Cage”) reference.

S0603 The Ex-Factor

ON THE BIG STAGE - The Legends find themselves in 2045 trying to defeat an Alien warrior which leaves Zari no choice but to enter a popular singing competition. Ava has finally had enough of Rory’s behavior and with the encouragement of Spooner, gives him some tough love. Sara finds herself struggling after being attacked but someone familiar helps her to keep searching for refuge. Meanwhile, Zari and Constantine have a much-needed conversation with each other.

Although I liked this episode I wish they would have spent a lot more time trying to find Sara and Gary.

I’m fine with the show being half serious and half campy, I liked it better when it was more serious and less campy, but this episode felt like 5% serious, trying to find Sara and Gary, and 95% campy.

Rory stepping on the little alien at the end was funny though.

Wow. Not content with writing an original song for “David Bowie”, they composed even more, full musical numbers for “Da Throne”. The musical team has gone above and beyond this season.

Just like the special effects team has gone above and beyond, not only with whatever alien Gary is supposed to be but also with the reveal of the tiny alien that was driving the Terminator body. And for what amounts to a throwaway joke when it got crushed under Rory’s boot. That’s going to bite the Legends in the ass later on in the season, isn’t it?

Maybe it’ll be like a Men In Black alien where the little guy inside the suit was actually a prince or something.

S0604 Bay of Squids

FOLLOWING ORDERS - The Legends are shocked when Rory takes command and manages to find the location of an important Alien, but he also lands them in the middle of the Cuban Missile Crisis. Ava is eager to question the Alien, but they must steal it back from the Cubans and Russians who think it is bio-warfare sent by the Americans. The team makes the decision to split up, leaving Nate and Zari to work together to stop a nuclear disaster alongside JFK while Behrad tries to leverage his newfound friendship to stop Castro from starting a war. Meanwhile, with Spooner’s help, Rory makes an unlikely deal that could lead him on a solo mission to find Sara.

That was probably one of the biggest historical messes the Legends have ever created. I hope they’re are going back to fix it when Sara gets back.

Why is everyone so surprised when Rory uses big words? They should give him some credit, he’s a best-selling author.

I had the same thought - it feels like the writers forgot that entire side of Rory.

Yeah, I had the same thought as well. Of course, this is also a show that frequently forgets that its characters have super powers.

Romance writers get no respect.

He got the ‘girl’ at the end - that counts for something.

The CW has announced that there is going to be an animated Christmas special, entitled “Beebo Saves Christmas”, featuring everyone’s favorite furry blue god. It will be narrated by Victor Garber.

S0605 The Satanist’s Apprentice

BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU WISH FOR - With Astra now a mortal, she finds it hard to adapt to the real world with no guidance from Constantine. Frustrated and lonely, Astra makes a new friend who promises to help her, but her eagerness for the easy way out could have some real repercussions for those closest to her. Meanwhile, Sara meets the person responsible for her kidnapping and tries to convince others to help her escape.

Caity Lotz’s first outing as a director, and what do we get:

• 80’s montage of Astra’s mundane life.
  • Flapping lips style animation of the Alistair Crowley painting.
  • Alistair Crowley inhabiting Constantine’s body (great acting by Matt Ryan).
  • Introduction of the main villain, who created the Ava clones. I already hate him based on the man-bun alone.
  • Should I be watching Wynonna Earp? Also some meta-commentary on how they figured out the show in the second season.
  • The Legends get turned into household objects, Beauty and the Beast-style*.
  • Full Disney-style animation complete with singing and dancing.

*Let’s see: Ava became a three-ring binder and Zari was a bedazzled phone, both of which were apropos given their personalities. Spooner became a fork for irony. But why was Behrad a candle and Nate a wheel of cheese?