Lemon slices in restaurant drinks [mild]

Last ten years everywhere I go restaurants all over the country invariably stick a lemon slice in your water or other drink. I always request that they don’t, and get a bit miffed when it’s in there anyway. I still can’t figure out the reason why they started doing that in the first place-for plain water perhaps to drown out the chlorine smell (if any), but why stick one in a Coke? Any why is it the default option? If I wanted weak lemonade I’d order some.

That’s bad enough, but now a (somewhat informal) study by a couple of microbiologists has shown that nasty things could be lurking on that lemon slice. Snopes Link Uggh uggh and uuuggghhhh…

Agree totally, and hell, even if you like lemonade, who wants a watered down sugarless version???

“When life hands you lemons, start a Pit thread.”

Off to MPSIMS.

Sorry, I can’t get behind this rant. I like lemon in my water (and everything else - I’m a citrus freak). What frosts my pumpkins, though, is no straw in my ice water. I don’t like ice cubes falling on my face when I’m trying to drink.

I just realized why I don’t like it: very weak citrus tastes in otherwise neutral water makes the whole thing taste vaguely like snot. Putting water in a glass that formerly contained orange juice (even after rinsing it out once,) will do the same, and I never put two and two together that weak lemon juice will do it too til now.

But yeah, I hate it. Even though the first time it happened I totally sqoze it and made weak lemonade

I don’t think I’ve ever been a place that put lemon in your drink by default. I like a bit of lemon with coke through, adds a nice little zing to it.

Hmmm. In just about every restaurant hubby and I frequent, when he asks for ice water (I always order tea), they always ask if he wants lemon. OTOH, he always says ‘yes’, which means I don’t know for a fact that even if he said ‘no’, they wouldn’t bring it anyway!

Watered down, yes, but there are sugar packets right there on the table for ya!

What’s the big deal? Aren’t those germs on just about everything, including your toothbrush?

From here: MythBusters (2003 season) - Wikipedia

Most restaurants use lemon to mark the Diet Cokes; regular Cokes are served sans citron.

Oh, fine. “When life hands you mundane, pointless lemons, share them,” then.

I keep hearing about this lemon = dangerous thing. I don’t get it - when did we get the idea that our food should be sterile? There’s bacteria on everything, and there’s really no getting away from it. What if they tested the forks, or plates, or the straw that comes with your drink?

I mean, I’m not going to start eating off the floor or anything, but I have an immune system ,and I’m not afraid to use it!

I like to put lemon in diet Coke. But the Diet Coke with Lemon that they marketed some years ago? Disgusting. Cherry is the only artificial flavor in sodas that I can get behind. Leave your chocolate, vanilla, lime and lemon out of my beverages!

Back in the day I’ve worked at busy places where they’ll have someone filling water glasses so the server can bring them to you quicker and if the anal-retent manager/owner says every glass will have a lemon wedge in it then every glass will have a lemon wedge in it and a server caught trying to bring someone a lemonless glass of water who tries to get out of it by saying “but the customer…” will just get shit. Owners/managers of restaurants aren’t known to be the most calm, rational people in the world.

Oh yeah, that stuff was liquid evil. It was exactly what I imagine drinking lemon pledge would be like.

In Youngstown the lemon was necessary to hide the vile taste of the water.
Each year, “something” would bloom in the local water source. The water would taste and smell foul, and sometimes look cloudy. Then the local news would do a story about how yes, there is indeed something in the water, no, the officials don’t know what it is, and yes, the water is safe to drink without boiling.
If they don’t know what’s in the water, how do they know it’s safe to drink?

Arby’s had packets of lemon juice. I stole them and carried them in my backpack for adding to tap water. (this was the dark ages before readily available bottled water and I was a poor college student)

I hate lemon in my freakin water. My wife likes it. She doesn’t, however, like lemon in her iced tea. She can handle it fine if it’s just in the glass or on the rim, but some waiters actually squeeze the lemon in there.

Preach it, brother.

I can’t stand the way restaurants put lemon in my water. I’d always rather have lime, if anything’s going to be put in my drink (and I’d prefer it if it was my choice), but limes are much more rare. I’m not sure why- they taste better and don’t have pips that get sucked up your straw.

Forget soft drinks. What’s really annoying is lemon in your beer. Over here in Europe, it started out as mostly a German thing. They’d toss a slice of lemon in their Weizen beers (bastardised in most languages to white beers). As a result of German tourism, every damn bar in Holland now adds a slice to any white beer you order. You have to specifically ask for the damn fruit to be kept out of your beer.

Ah, bless the Belgians. They’d chop your fricking head off for even ASKING for lemon in your white beer. And by God, they’re right.

And don’t even get me started on South American beers served with a lime slice, in climates where mosquitoes haven’t been spotted since before the last ice age (yes, that’s what it’s really for).

Yes! That’s what I’ve been saying for years! Either lemon Pledge or lemon dishwashing detergent – in any case, totally nasty!

As for lemon in water, I like it and my hubby hates it. Which makes it easy; if they don’t ask in advance and bring it by default, he just takes it off his glass and gives it to me. I suspect if they squeezed it in, however, he’d send his water back. Not that I blame him; that’s a bit presumptuous, seems to me.

And given a choice, I always ask for lime instead.

I can forgive lemon/no lemon/lime/no lime. What I can’t forgive? Is no straw, except at a very fancy place where straws probably don’t exist. But in that case, I just ask for cold water without ice. Heck, I’m paying for the privilege, might as well let someone strain the ice out for me!