let me call your attention to :

Are you referring to Nick’s joke?

Because that’s all that it was, a joke.

Not everything we do here is meant to be wisdom of the ages; sometimes you just got to let fly with a little zinger.

And mostly it’s no harm, no foul.

Some members of this community would prefer to see moderators and administrators as nameless faceless beings that never show themselves or express feelings, personal or otherwise, but that’s not real and that’s not what happens around here.

We care about what goes on here, we like the community we work with and enjoy the topics of discussion . . . mostly . . . and we do our work with a lot of determination and good will . . . and sometimes a bit of humor.

That’s not a bad thing.

(And besides, Cecil’s tongue is far sharper. Y’all are getting off easy. :))

your humble TubaDiva/SDStaffDiv
for the Straight Dope
Oversensitive around here much?

So when Contestant 3 makes “jokes” on the BBQ Pit, they are somehow much worse? I don’t get it.
Connie got his comments in the bbq pit deleted. Perhaps, because it was laced with profanity, or because it was insults directed towards members that had nothing to do with the topic.
But, as these posts point out, other people are able to do the same exact thing without a word against.
Why are people who defend Contestant 3 oversensitve, while people who complain about him somehow right?
I don’t think anyone feels that moderators can’t express feelings. I have never read anyone say that. I have read opinions that there should be a moderator account that takes care of moderation and keeps things in shape. While the person doing the moderating can have their own account to express opinons.That might help keep personalities out of moderation debates, then again it might not. I am just pointing out that I have never read anyone say that they want moderators to be unable to express themselves.
pat

Anyone else getting deja vu of Bluiicool and his multiple personalities that kept popping up under different screen names to defend his honor?

Maybe it’s just me, I dunno.

ouch…
No, I am me. I was just expressing my opinion. For whatever its worth.

pat

I can assure you that these members that have posted to point out inconsistancies or to defend me are NOT me under a different handle.

I have no other SDMB handles and I did not offer any compensation to these people in return for their comments.

Further, I did not ASK any of them to post these comments, nor do I know any of these people.

Contestant #3

[[actually I pictured you moderators slumped over the keyboard 24-7, chain smoking
and gulping pepsi… my mistake.]]

Excuse me? I run five miles a day, and I don’t smoke. And I drink Mexican beer; not Pepsi.
Jill

I am curious…why does everyone feel like this board has to be fair? It IS free, you ARE able to go somewhere else. If you hate the moderators, leave. If you think life is SO fucking unfair here, leave.

No one ever seems to get that the moderators are people. Don’t you all ever get mad at someone (let’s just take C#3 ferinstance) and just let them have it? I actually have no opinion on whether Lynn was fair or not, because I don’t think she has to be.

People say that we, the posters, pay the bills here. How? How many different advertisers do YOU guys see on this board? I see hardly any. I, for one, have never clicked on any advertising.

Why not just enjoy the threads? Why not just ignore the ones you don’t like? Is it really too hard of a concept?

trisha

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice - Albert Einstein

Does anyone besides me see the irony between the content of Jazmine’s post and her sig line?

lol

Contestant #3

Lovely Mr. C #3 :). I’m not sure I would call not getting upset by the way someone runs something they own marching in rank and file.

If someone runs their own grocery store in such a manner that upsets you, don’t you just go to a different grocery store?

trisha

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice - Albert Einstein

Not until you said something but I did see this…

…and I thought. Wow, I could say the exact same thing to her.

I think we have the right to say something if we see stuff that seems unjust. I wouldn’t go so far as to say we have the right to sue The Straight Dope or anything like that but I think we have a right to try to make this a “better” place. Of course, my definition of “better” may not be the same as yours.

I’ve actually found a big inconsistency in this thread (not concerning Jazzmine) so far but I’m going to hold my tongue and see if someone else pounces.

topolino said:

Point well taken. While I still believe what I believe, obviously it’s true of everyone on this thread, or they wouldn’t be saying it. So, I give on this one :).

But DO tell on the other inconsistency.

trisha

I’m new here, I know, but one thing has really bothered me since I read it. To get the full scoop go to:

[http://www.straightdope.com/ubb/Forum3/HTML/002012.html](http://www.straightdope.com/ubb/Forum3/HTML/002012.html)

this is General Questions, Lucid dreaming in case this doesn’t post right.

I did write a small post to this since it was in GQ but in the Pit I think I can vent my spleen a bit more.

I feel that was just plain meanness on TubaDiva’s part. As I pointed out in that thread; most of the questions, thoughts, MPSIMS here could be answered with a dive into a search engine. But there is something more meaningful and more immediate about “true life” responses. I don’t profess to ‘know’ anyone here but if someone tells me something worked for them I’m willing to give it the once over in my mind and perhaps try it. My thread on coprophagia springs to mind. I’ve researched this into the ground but got some great ideas from this board. I’m not lazy or stupid I just wanted some ‘real life’ responses to this problem.

To be honest, what bothered me most was the tag line “your humble TubaDiva” when I didn’t find the post humble at all. I found it mean-spirited at best and rude at worst. I’m not saying he/she is a bad person or should be removed. I’m just saying: That post was completely uncalled for.

I see questions out here that I know could be answered with a good search and if it’s not something I’m into, I just don’t post to it. To spend the time to run a search, bash the person for asking and then not post anything relevant just strikes me as pointless and mean. I guess I just don’t understand why TubaDiva posted to it at all when this person had nothing relevant to add.

If you just want to post a little ribbing, a brief poke of fun, a joke, I understand that since I do it too. But to spend all that time just to bash someone for asking a question? Why? It has nothing to do with you being a moderator. I don’t care if you are or not. But why post to something just to slam someone? If it was here, in the pit, okay, everything’s fair game. But in GQ? No, I don’t think that was right or fair.

As always, this is just IMHO. And after re-reading this thread maybe I have the wrong thread to post this to but I don’t know where else to take this.

The moon looks on many flowers, the flowers on but one moon.

Despite what my husband will tell you, I am NOT online 24/7. When I am online, it’s unlikely that I will be reading my forum at any given time. I usually try to read it at least once a day, sometimes more often. I might let it go 36 hours or so if I’m busy.

If ANYBODY has a question or problem with someone else’s posts, then that person should contact me via email. That’s the reason there’s a hyperlink in my name. In extreme cases, you can try IM/AIM. Do not post it to the board. Posting it is simply an attempt to disrupt the board. I really doubt that you have problems with the posts, Kelli, I think that you just want to stir up trouble. Tough. Don’t do it again.

“From now on, if a post goes over the line, I delete or modify it. And I’m the one who draws the line.” Were the offensive posts made by others made BEFORE this statement, or afterwards?

I’m closing this thread.

Incidentally, I have removed about half a dozen or so posts that were directed at C3, and spoken to the members who crossed the line. Most of them said “yeah, I went too far, sorry” and have promised not to do it again. You folks don’t see everything I do. And most of it’s pretty boring, really.

Lynn/SDStaff Lynn
For the Straight Dope