An American Idol contestant went to Bob Jones (not Blow Job) University. Diogenes the Cynic says that, even though he knew the AI contestant was a christian, he didn’t know he was a Bob Jones-type christian.
Liberal replies to DtC with “believe it or not, they are not all alike.”
lissener replies to Lib: “Well, except they’re all alike in one particular: they fit in well enough at BJU to earn a diploma.”
Lib counters that with-- well, since BJU students come from all over the United States and the world then what lissener said has no meaning.
Then the linked comments.
I tell ya, AI threads are NOTHING but trouble.
[QUOTE=Liberal]
It’s an equally safe bet (almost) that a Seattlean is white, but as a participant in the AI discussions, you know that this issue is about Chris Sligh, who has showed exactly zero indication of intolerance of any kind. As to the cost of tuition, it is often paid by parents against whom teenagers sometimes rebel. So, assuming that because some (or even most) students at BJU are intolerant bigots, it does not follow that the same is true for all of them in general.
[/QUOTE]
Except Lissner never claims that Chris is a bigot.
Lib, you are being intentionally hard-headed and pedantic. If a person chooses to go to a Fundamental Christian pseudo-university, then it is safe to assume that said person did, at some time, have some Fundie Christian beliefs.
[QUOTE=Liberal]
It’s an equally safe bet (almost) that a Seattlean is white, but as a participant in the AI discussions, you know that this issue is about Chris Sligh, who has showed exactly zero indication of intolerance of any kind. As to the cost of tuition, it is often paid by parents against whom teenagers sometimes rebel. So, assuming that because some (or even most) students at BJU are intolerant bigots, it does not follow that the same is true for all of them in general.
(For those who wanted context ^^^).
((And Twickster, let the grudge go, my friend. Forgiveness heals the forgiver.))
[/QUOTE]
Normally I’d agree with you, but BlowJob U weeds out the herd such that only people who fall in line with their very stringent beliefs remain. That Sligh has parted ways with the university because he - gasp! - isn’t playing ‘the right’ kind of music only shows that he’s just not fundie enough.
I agree that broad generalizations are usually bogus, but in certain instances they are valid. Hard-core Scientology comes to mind. And maybe Fred Phelps’ little crew. So it’s not really a ‘broad’ generalizaton but rather one referring to a specific, self-selected group with very rigorous requirements for belonging.
Liberalitarian, Lissener, Bob Jones, Fundies, American Idol…
I don’t know how all of these concepts came together into one thread; but this thread is a veritable Love Boat episode offering guest roles and cameos to every inane and obtuse theme ever to grace the SDMB. All we need is for Guin to come running in screaming about the latest Jack Chick comic.
[QUOTE=Quiddity Glomfuster]
I agree that broad generalizations are usually bogus, but in certain instances they are valid.
[/QUOTE]
Not in this instance. Chris has never once thanked Jesus out loud. He hasn’t said anything judgmental about any of the other contestants, including Sanjaya. He’s even hugged and kissed the black girls. So, wherefore the notion that he’s “that kind” of Christian? Actually, come to think of it, maybe I should be pitting Dio instead.
[QUOTE=Waverly]
All we need is for Guin to come running in screaming about the latest Jack Chick comic.
[/QUOTE]
Oh, Drive-by-Guin will be here! Some things, you can just count on.
Yeah, you’re probably right. All of you, really. Okay, so, I’m sorry for pitting you, Lissener. (But still, don’t generalize from particulars. It’s just bad reasoning.)
ETA:
It wasn’t a total loss. I learned a lot about Seattle.
[QUOTE=Liberal]
Yeah, you’re probably right. All of you, really. Okay, so, I’m sorry for pitting you, Lissener. (But still, don’t generalize from particulars. It’s just bad reasoning.)
ETA:
It wasn’t a total loss. I learned a lot about Seattle.
[/QUOTE]
[QUOTE=Liberal]
Yeah, you’re probably right. All of you, really. Okay, so, I’m sorry for pitting you, Lissener. (But still, don’t generalize from particulars. It’s just bad reasoning.)
[/QUOTE]
You’re still willing to accuse him of bad reasoning, after the godawful analogy that was your OP?
There’s some bromide about physicians and healing that would be appropriate here.
[QUOTE=mhendo]
You’re still willing to accuse him of bad reasoning, after the godawful analogy that was your OP?
[/quote]
I thought Guin would be the one to drive by and push buttons after everything was settled, but I forgot about you.
Two things:
(1) Your righteous indignation notwithstanding, reasoning from the particular to the general is not a good idea, and…
(2) There wasn’t anything wrong with the analogy, except that it was aimed at the wrong person.
There is no difference between saying that because 90% of people attending BJU are intolerant Christians, a particular BJU almumnus is that kind of religion and saying that because 90% of people from Seattle are white, a particular Seattlean is that kind of race.
Hey, I don’t care who said what, I’m just happy someone paid attention to my attempt to steer them away from hijacking a thread and took it elsewhere. I think that’s the first time that’s ever happened. Thanks Lib!
[sub]Please don’t tell me someone else told him privately to take it elsewhere, let me believe someone noticed me.[/sub]
[QUOTE=Liberal]
Yeah, you’re probably right. All of you, really. Okay, so, I’m sorry for pitting you, Lissener. (But still, don’t generalize from particulars. It’s just bad reasoning.)
[/QUOTE]
A. Um, “Yes sir”?
B. Good thing I didn’t.
A “generalization” is not always automatically wrong. My test: the more tautological, the more probably correct it is. Gay men tend to like dick. Black people tend to have more melanin than white people. BJU students tend to be fundamentalist Christians. See? Non-bad–i.e., accurate–statements that happen to be generalizations. (The first person who pops into the thread just to inform us that there’s an exception to any rule, or anything is possible, get’s a rolleye.) In any case, all I really suggested was that the fact that Chris went to BJU is relevant to who he probably is as a person.
And yes, Lib, your analogy stank to high heaven. It would have been a good analogy if I had said that all North Carolinians are fundamentalists. Which I didn’t. Or if, in order to live in Seattle, you had to pass a rigorous set of criteria regarding your beliefs. Accidents of geography are utterly nonanalogous to clubs one *chooses *to join.
So, Lib, don’t make bad analogies. (I expect a “Yes sir” from you now.)