Let's create a playlist for walking

“uh uh uh uh I’m so tired, but I just can’t lose my stride”

Twenty Five Miles, by Edwin Star!

Just to get a feel, would I’m So Excited by the Pointer Sisters be too fast for a walk?

Kool & the Gang’s Celebration is 120 beats per minute. That’s right around where I want my walking music.

Pretty much everything on the Yes album 90125 keeps me moving forward.

Let’s hear it for the Proclaimers!

(Seriously - this song has gotten me through some *very *long walks. It’s the perfect marching song).

Wild, Wild West by Escape Club

Battle Without Honor or Humanity (for walking tough).

Here’s a partial of one my current walking playlists. I am a big Def Leppard fan, so there is a fair amount of their music in it, but it’s all great music for walking a 2-3mph pace. Hope it gives you some kind of inspiration.

Sorted by artist in no particular order:

Def Leppard:
Go, C’mon C’mon, He’s Gonna Step On You Again (cover), 20th Century Boy (cover), Demolition Man, Truth?, Slang

Man Raze:
Skin Crawl, Spinning Out

ABBA:
Take A Chance On Me (song’s rhythm was based on writer’s running rhythm)

Christian Kane:
The House Rules

Dave Edmunds:
Slipping Away

Duran Duran (some of my favorite walking songs):
Nite Runner, Skin Divers, Want You More!

Electric Light Orchestra:
Alright, State of Mind, Don’t Bring Me Down

Elton John:
Medley: Yell Help/Wednesday Night/Ugly, Dan Dare (Pilot of the Future)

George Michael:
Freeek '04 NOTE: NSFW!

Little Big Town:
Boondocks, Bones

Nine Inch Nails:
Closer

Paul McCartney & Wings:
Medicine Jar, Mrs. Vandebilt

Phil Collins:
Who Said I Would?

No Fats Domino?! There’s also the derivative, but still wonderful “I’m Walken” by Wilco.

My suggestion might *sound *like the wrong type of entry (walking theme) but I mean it in the *right *way (proper tempo to get you moving) - Dire Straits’ Walk of Life. It always makes me want to get up and walk briskly around the block.

For long walks I like to hook up with long saga-like songs, especially those replete with images of travel, imaginary or distant locations in space and/or time, wandering and longing. I also try to find lots of songs by a small set of artists that fit well so they segue into one another - ideally, full albums - so you can “lose yourself” in a familiar musical flow. Otherwise you’ll find yourself paying attention to the jukebox shuffle and stopping to fiddle with the playlist as you walk, which detracts from the “zone-out” type of experience I like for this sort of thing.

From the extensive Classic Rock folder in my head, there’s Bruce Springsteen’s Thunder Road, Rosalita, It’s Hard To Be A Saint In The City, Jungleland, Bobby Jean, Streets of Philadelphia. …

The Rolling Stones’ Shine A Light, Can’t You Hear Me Knocking?, Gimme Shelter, Sympathy For The Devil, Monkey Man, You Can’t Always Get What You Want, Dead Flowers, *Angie, Memory Motel, *…

Bob Dylan’s … Heck, if you’re a Dylan fan, just drop in both Highway 61 Revisited and Blonde On Blonde albums as a back-to-back playlist (remember the “double album cassettes” they used to have? woulda been perfect.)

Led Zeppelin’s Kashmir, Over The Hills And Far Away, Ramble On, D’yer Mak’er, Since I’ve Been Loving You, Going To California…

These are great suggestions! Keep 'em coming :smiley:

I use walking music for spinning. For running I need a driving beat, but for spinning I like something more moderate, even if I spin double time to the existing beat. Nena recorded several new versions of “99 Luftballoons” and there is an MP3 version almost 5 minutes long that I like, it’s a Westbam Remix. Unfortunately, my link is not so great, it sounds much better, and I think slower, as the MP3 version. It’s readily available on iTunes. It may be suitable for brisk walking.

Ditto here. I actually use audiobooks as a bribe to get exercise: *“Man, I’m beat… but I’ve GOT to hear how Jeeves gets Bertie out of Tuffy Finknotle’s armoire!” *

A good mystery is even better. Time just flies.

And, yes, most of mine are from the library. Except the HowThingsWork.com podcasts.

I don’t know the name of the song, but the music that plays during the Buckaroo Banzai credits is perfect for a peppy walk, and can be heard here

Sidewalking-- Jesus and Mary Chain