Let's discuss golden milk recipes and experiences

I’ve recently discovered and have made a few attempts at preparing golden milk. This is a beverage that originated in India, originally using cow’s milk, turmeric - which provides the golden color, ginger, and black pepper. I have found multiple recipes, and obviously there is no one correct way to prepare it. So far I’ve used dried spices from Simply Organic, and heated the milk and spice mixture in a small sauce pan, drinking it after it’s warm. The main problem I’ve run into is that seemingly about half of the spices remain as a solid clump at the bottom rather than dissolving into the milk or even remaining in suspension. Here are some specific questions I have.

1. What kind of milk do you prefer to use?

2. What is your preferred amount of milk?

3. Do you use any spices in addition to turmeric, ginger, and black pepper, and if so which ones?

4. If you use fresh spices, what’s your preferred method of using them?

5. Does the final product come out better if the milk is boiled and then cooled vs. warming it up to the final temperature and then drinking, having never reached a boil?

Again, I realize that everyone’s tastes are difference, and that there is no one correct answer. I’m looking for tips and discussion rather than just looking at a long list of various recipes on Google.

I never heard of it, but it sounds intriguing. How did you discover it?

It was a roundabout way. I’ve been working on making my diet healthier, and started researching various micronutrients, including curcurmin from turmeric and gingerol from ginger. I then started looking into how to add those particular foods into my diet, and ran across golden milk.

Thanks. I’m going to try that tonight. Actually, it sounds delicious to me; if there are health benefits, even better.

This sounds like something the YouTube channel Tasting History could cover.

I’d try it if I wasn’t allergic to dairy. Then again, maybe it will turn out that some older version used almond milk. That’s one thing I learned from Tasting History: almond milk is extremely old. It shows up in a lot of older recipes.

If I see some sign that it would work with almond milk, I might try it. The main issue is that I don’t really buy almond milk all that often.

Here’s a recipe that calls for either almond or coconut milk.

My girlfriend recently got into golden milk. I tried some, and it was okay. I’ll ask for her recipe.

I know that it has nutmeg in it because she complained about “that horrible nutmeg grit” and has since crossed nutmeg off the ingredients list.

4 tbsp ground tumeric
2 tbsp ground cinnamon
2 tbsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp black pepper
4 cups of milk

Heat milk to almost but not quite boiling and mix in ingredients. Let steep for 5 minutes, and mix again. Enjoy!

ETA: Oh, and honey. Add honey to taste. She wanted me to mention that.

I got some of this about three years ago, tried it a few times, but never got into it. It’s convenient having the ingredients already put together. Just add to any kind of milk and heat. It has 3,600+ amazon reviews, most of them 4-&5-star. I guess the spelling of Turmaquik is a nod to Nestle’s Quik.

Putting the spices in a teaball (pbly not the correct name – a perforated metal ball which holds the tea leaves & keeps grounds out of the tea) might prevent the clumps, which sound unpleasant. I’ve used it for spice mixes in liquids, though not sure how it would work with finely ground spices.

Thank you for the recipe :grinning:.

There’s nothing to “work”; you just add spices to a hot (milk-y) liquid and drink it. I’d guess soy milk would be a better choice, as it’s less watery than almond milk. Or try cashew or macadamia milk.

I mean “work” as in that it would perform the same role as the real milk. Your talk about using a less watery milk is exactly the sort of thing that helps.

Though I also mean “work” as in “taste good.” The sweetness profiles and fattiness are different, unless you add other ingredients.

Turmeric isn’t very tasty to everyone, but some people don’t mind it. The other spices help to mask it. Almond milk is kind of thin and doesn’t have much body. Other “milks” have more body and might be a better choice, but I’m just surmising.

Cool. I’ll try it at some point. Though, if I can find some historical recipe, I’d be more likely to try that first.

Made some last night with fresh ground Turmeric and Ginger. 2% dairy milk. Most of the recipes I found online used a milk alternative—a teaspoon of cane sugar, cinnamon, 6 peppercorns. I’ll probably add more ginger next time.

Can you use real milk? (I might try plant milks if they came in smaller sizes instead of half-gallons). What can I expect to happen if I drink golden milk, will I feel better or something?