Let's vote on Major League Baseball awards! Thread 1: MVPs

The writers never get it right so let’s select this year’s SDMB MLB Awards!

We shall start with the Most Valuable Player Award.

RULES:

1. As per the way the BBWAA does it, please submit a ballot with up to ten players listed in the order in which you rank the players. (#1 is the MVP, #2 the second most VP, etc.) You must pick ten players, and ten only, in order. Players cannot be tied.

You do not have to vote for players in both leagues if you don’t want to but I would appreciate it if you did. More votes is good.

1. Ballots with errors (can’t figure out what player you mean, choosing a player in the wrong league) will be noted and you will be asked to correct it.

2. Ballots that are jokes or that make an effort to game the system - for instance, you want Smith to win so you put Smith first and then list nine unknown bench players to ensure no other contender gets points - will be disregarded.

3. As per the way the BBWAA does it, a first place vote is 14 points, then second through tenth goes 9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1.

4. The definition of “Most Valuable Player” is up to the voter. You may vote based on whatever criteria you feel means value. You may vote for pitchers.

If you want to add commentary on your picks, please do.

Aaaaand go!

To get it started I shall provide you with my ballot.

AMERICAN LEAGUE MOST VALUABLE PLAYER

1. Mookie Betts, Boston Red Sox
  2. Mike Trout, Los Angeles Angels
  3. Josh Donaldson, Toronto Blue Jays
  4. Manny Machado, Baltimore Orioles
  5. Adrian Beltre, Texas Rangers
  6. Robinson Cano, Seattle Mariners
  7. David Ortiz, Boston Red Sox
  8. Jose Altuve, Houston Astros
  9. Corey Kluber, Cleveland Indians
  10. Justin Verlander, Detroit Tigers

NATIONAL LEAGUE MOST VALUABLE PLAYER

1. Kris Bryant, Chicago Cubs
  2. Corey “Not Kyle” Seager, Los Angeles Dodgers
  3. Anthony Rizzo, Chicago Cubs
  4. Max Scherzer, Washington Nationals
  5. Noah Syndergaard, New York Mets
  6. Justin Turner, Los Angeles Dodgers
  7. Nolan Arenado, Colorado Rockies
  8. Daniel Murphy, Washington Nationals
  9. Johnny Cueto, San Francisco Giants
  10. Freddie Freeman, Atlanta Braves

Who the hell is your NL #2?

It’s Corey Seager, you AL follower! :stuck_out_tongue:

Oh, sorry. I’ll fix that.

AL

1. Big Papi
  2. Mookie Betts
  3. Mike Trout
  4. Manny Machado
  5. Josh Donaldson
  6. Jose Altuve
  7. Brian Dozier
  8. Robinson Cano
  9. Miguel Cabrera
  10. Dustin Pedroia

NL

1. Kris Bryant
  2. Anthony Rizzo
  3. Nolan Arenado
  4. Corey Seager
  5. Daniel Murphy
  6. DJ LeMahieu
  7. Freddie Freeman
  8. Joey Votto
  9. Justin Turner
  10. Paul Goldschmidt

Put that together in about a minute and a half, so unfortunately not a lot of thought went into it. Big Papi is of course more of a sentimental vote, but not entirely undeserving.
No pitchers not because I don’t think they should be excluded, but rather I didn’t think any especially stood out (particularly in the AL).

RickJay - I actually think your lists are pretty accurate. The only change I’d make for my ballot is to swap the #1 and #2 picks in each league.

If Freddie Freeman wasn’t on a last place team, he’s be seeing a lot more love here. :frowning:

If that’s an official submission of a ballot I will count it as such.

It is.

AL

1 - Trout
2 - Betts
3 - Altuve
4 - Donaldson
5 - Cano
6 - Kyle Seager
7 - Machado
8 - Dozier
9 - Beltre
10 - Lindor

Basically the WAR standings from ESPN’s calculations, but I bumped Lindor up a couple places to give Cleveland a representative. Really it’s ridiculous that the AL MVP has become the “best player other than Mike Trout award”.

AL:

1. Trout
  2. Betts
  3. Donaldson
  4. Machado
  5. Beltre
  6. Altuve
  7. Dozier
  8. Cano
  9. Lindor
  10. Pedroia

NL:

1. Bryant
  2. Seager
  3. Freeman
  4. Syndergaard
  5. Scherzer
  6. Rizzo
  7. Murphy
  8. Arenado
  9. Fernandez, RIP
  10. Turner

I put more time into the bottom half of those ballots than either deserved. 10 seems silly when none of the other award ballots go close to that deep. I’ll be very happy in my heart when Betts wins it, but annoyed-again in my brain.

If you believe in the “Trout is the MVP no matter how shitty his team is, when he’s this good” argument - which I do - it’s hard to put Freeman outside of the top 5 in the NL. By pretty much any measure I can find he’s had that kind of performance this year.

Why does Seager win over Bryant, in your opinion?

Because he’s a Dodger, of course. I am nothing if not arbitrary with my opinions!

But the way the Cubs are playing right now, I could easily see me changing that opinion by the start of the World Series.

Mike Trout, always and forever.

Kris Bryant.

Could you please complete a ballot of ten players per league?