Life changes after mate passes?

I lost my husband April 1, 2017.

Time did seem to drag, I had little energy, and had to force my self to do basic things like go to work and grocery shop for months.

It’s only in the past month or two I’ve really gotten back to my hobbies and interests.

As already mentioned, the time line on grief varies from person to person, but what you describe is pretty normal for the circumstances. Things will get better, you’ll get your interests and passion back, but it will take time.

My husband died suddenly on 26th April, 2017. I knew as soon as I saw his lifeless body on our bed that my life had changed in so many ways that I wouldn’t recognise it. Sometimes, I still ‘know’ that and other times, I realise I am still doing many things just the same as always.

Planning for my future, including retirement, is so different now but living life’s day by day reality has a lot the same.

Sometimes, I feel guilty for enjoying things I am doing either with friends or on my own. It’s not wrong to feel that way, but it’s also not wrong not to feel that way.

There is no guide book for life after loss.

I agree with this. I lost my wife when she was 44…much too young for a vibrant person to die. It was about a year before things started to get back to normal, though obviously I still think about her everyday. I remarried about 6 years after she passed.

OTOH, my older brother’s wife died about a year later and he was dating within six months.

It differs for everyone.

Well, that’s nothing. 45 days is NOTHING. I am impressed you’re going out for coffee.

It took my mom a year or so, but now she’s just living life big time.

Don’t beat yourself up, hon. 45 days is nothing for something that will still hurt 20 years from now. Give yourself a chance to get back on your feet emotionally.

There’s probably more than one such book. I know nothing about them, but I’d be very surprised if they weren’t out there. Whether they offer something truly valuable is a different question.

Yeah, I mean, 45 days after my husband died I think getting up, getting myself bathed enough to be presentable, dressed, and to work was about the most I could do, and some days even that was shaky.

I do recommend getting out of the house every day - staying home alone would have been very bad for me. Of course, your mileage may vary a lot on this one.

I didn’t mean literally, of course. Yes, there are lots of them, but they can’t point you in the right direction because there isn’t only one right way.

I am enjoying all the responses. Yesterday I took her ashes and prepared her urn. I am sending her back to Wisconsin to be buried with her parents as she asked. I placed a photo of myself with a nice letter on the back of the photo at the bottom of the urn and some clippings from my beard. I felt like a got some closure. This morning I woke up and was able to get back to some writing, I feel a bit beat up but good inside at the same time.

They can’t point you in the right direction, but they might be able to help you see that there could be one. Or to help you recognize commonly-pursued wrong directions.

Yep, that’s how the healing happens. I’ve had that feeling a lot over the past year and some months.

Sorry you wound up joining a club no one wants to join, but the rest of us are here for you if you need us.

Thanks, that’s what I like about this group. I have tons of friends that have gone through the same thing some are making it better than others. I wish you well also.