Light pitting of people cheering Jared's beating

I suspect that’s an urban legend. Seems like almost all celebrity prisoners who are soft get beaten up a lot.

Urban legend as in ABC news reports?

Prison Is ‘Living Hell’ for Pedophiles

I was thinking wrong there. I thought the theory went that prisoners hated child molesters because of some moral compass they had, but apparently it has more to do with the fact that many of them were molested.

Seems to me that one useful reform would be to put prisoners who aren’t very tough and who are also model prisoners and put them in separate wings. I doubt Jared or catholic priests or Bernie Madoff are troublemakers. They should segregate the people with self control from the animals who resort to violence at the drop of a hat.

Then they’re all complicit in this assault, and if there were any real justice they’d be charged along with the guy who physically delivered the blows. But of course that isn’t going to happen.

No, he got beaten up because another vile human being who just happened to be stronger and meaner than Vogle found himself a handy victim. The rest is just an excuse for making him a victim. Oh, he also got beaten up because the prison failed in its responsibility to protect all its inmates.

I agree.

Exactly. Mr. Nigg claims he’s sick of so many child molesters being housed in minimum security. Don’t know if that’s supposed to means he’s pissed because they’re in with him or because they should be in max security - whatever, it’s a load of crap. Dude just wanted an excuse to kick someone’s ass.

Outside of the virtues of justice meted by society as a whole, no form of violence or coercion, other than in necessary and equal amounts as a means of self-preservation, is ever laudable. In this case, despite the despicable nature of Jared, and even being that one might feel he deserves some greater cosmic justice for his misdeeds, the punishment only has meaning in the moral context of the society that has judged him, not in the hands of individuals, much less ones society has also judged as owing a debt. I know there are those out there who condone that individual’s actions, but I am also glad to see there are those here who do not, as if we truly feel that the punishment he received does not fit the crime, we must work through the constructs of society to correct that, not engage in vigilantism. However, that even society itself must engage in a form of coercion, through imprisonment, violence, or whatever, as a means of meting justice and protection still saddens me, but it seems it is necessary for the time being, and best served by society than by the individual. In that context, the man who assaulted him should be tried and receive the appropriate punishment.

It has always been my understanding that’s exactly what prisons do. Although I’m sure it’s probably hard to avoid some overlap.

As is so often the case.

Wait…you think that people who rape little kids have self-control and aren’t animals? You’re kind of a retard, aren’t you?

They probably did do this. Fogle’s assailant is a sixty-year-old in prison for a non-violent charge. He probably was considered a soft inmate himself before this assault.

I sympathize, but don’t abusers (physical or sexual or whatever) very often come from the ranks of those who have themselves been abused? In which case the “feeling how his victims felt” precedes the crime.

Having to navigate prison under the name “Mr. Nigg” probably hardened him over time.

If this is indeed the case for Jared it would increase my sympathy for him.

Sure, and I wasn’t someone who rejoiced when he got beat up either. However, I can’t say that I was particularly surprised when he did, or at all sympathetic either.

So what I think I hear you saying is that we need to begin burning more people at the stake. Soon.

Pay-per-view possibly?

If someone sexually abused my child, I’d absolutely beat him within an inch of his life. Only then would I call the cops and make sure he gets his day in court.

I think most people here would be hard pressed to resist the urge to do so, much less argue that it’s wrong.

But when a pedophile ends up getting beat up in prison because he’s a pedophile, suddenly we’re supposed to run to his defense because prisons aren’t safe for pedophiles?

Explain that to me.

The explanation is that we live in a society that operates on the rule of law. Under the law, this man has been sentenced to imprisonment. He has not been sentenced to violent beatings, rape, or any other depredations. Those things are also criminal acts, and the fact that the victim has also committed a crime doesn’t change that.

I understand that from a rational/legal perspective. I guess I’m simply not evolved enough to give a fuck if pedophiles don’t particularly enjoy their prison stay.