Light pitting of people cheering Jared's beating

Those aren’t mutually exclusive. I would have a hard time resisting the urge, but I would still argue that it’s wrong. I’d kill someone attacking my loved ones, and it would still be wrong.

But I don’t know if I would still do so in cold blood. Sounds like you might not either.

I’m not sure I’m seeing where anyone is saying you are “supposed to run to his defense.” But prisons should be safe, even for scumbags.

Enjoy? No, of course not. But that’s not what you’re talking about. Prison assault? Yeah, you should give a fuck about that, at least in broad terms. Unless you’d prefer all sentences be for life, and unmonitored free-for-alls. I suppose we could go with an Escape From New York scenario.

In addition to what the post immediately above mine stated, I think you’ll find there’s more than a fair few posters on this board who will assert that insofar as you beat him whilst in a rational frame of mind (as opposed to beating him as an instinctive response to catching him in the act) you are as deserving of prison time as anyone else that commits assault.

Sexual assault is a heinous crime, but society is ruled by law, and someone being a convicted sex offender does not simply suspend the rule of law as pertains to their person. The desire to do them violence is an understandable one, but acting on it is still impermissible.

No, throwing away the key is for the worst of the worst criminals. I’m not suggesting prisons should be some sort of island dystopia either.

Objectively speaking, criminals should be punished for their crimes proportionately and should not be subject to violence by bigger/meaner predators within the system.

Subjectively speaking, a crime is personal to the victim or the victim’s loved ones. It’s especially true when the victim is a child. That appears to hold true within prison populations that have decided on a pecking order.

But it’s ok if cops do it right?

If you were to catch the culprit in the act, of course that’s understandable and–to a degree (you probably can’t kill him for it in most jurisdictions, I’d think)–the beating may be legal. But remember I’m not a lawyer, so I might be mistaken here.

What about if you decide to go after someone after you’re informed that they’ve abused the child? What if your only proof is an allegation? Here’s a concept: let the legal system work.

I’d like to think that most people don’t give into murderous acts and fantasies of vigilantism. I’d also like to think that most people consider vigilantism wrong.

No, we’re supposed to hold the wardens and correctional officers responsible to upholding the law, said law including their obligations to administer justice as the legislatures and courts have ordered. We’re not supposed to allow them to run a little dystopia within the prison walls and get paid by us to do so.

Explain that to me.
[/QUOTE]

How about you explain what the rewards should be for the prisoner who assaults, injuries, maims, rapes, or even kills an incarcerated molester? You seem to be okay with the idea that prisons should be a place for extra-legal “justice” to be dispensed. Fine, think that idea out in full. What’s the reward? And what kind of reward to the prisoner who dispenses such “justice” but is, himself, incarcerated for a heinous crime?

It’s not about enjoying a time in prison. The idea is that all prisoners are treated as the law dictates, not that we turn over dispensing of justice to vicious, violent individuals.

And you should know that being safe does not equate to enjoying oneself.

Actually, you are, your protests to the contrary notwithstanding.

Right.

That’s one of the many reasons that we let the legislatures and courts decide on what the punishment is for a crime, and it’s also why we have the courts–not the victim’s families–deciding on guilt.

Ah, the infamous prison social scale. Why is that a good thing?

There is an extent to which you could beat up the person trying to rape your kid, and the courts are a bit lenient when it comes to your fame of mined. I recently was reminded in the Trump violence thread that there are certain times where you can be violent in order to stop the commission of a violent crime on others. Heck, sometimes, it can be a non-violent crime, like trespassing–assuming you don’t go beyond what is necessary.

But, yeah, that’s different than becoming an avenging angel for someone else, well after the crime has already happened.

Inmates are sent to prison as punishment, not to be punished.

Also: in prison systems with a lot of inmate on inmate violence, there are also more assaults on prison staff. Guards, teachers, social workers, healthcare workers, counselors, etc. If nothing else, we should want our family and friends who work in prisons to be as safe as possible.

Put your moral ambiguity to the test then and go assault every pedophile you can find.

It’s easy to let scumbags do your dirty work for you, isn’t it?

People are complicated. I’m perfectly capable of thinking, all at the same time:

1. People, no matter what kind of scum they are, should not get beaten up in prison

2. If I could push a button and have any prisoner beaten up, I wouldn’t do it

3. If I could push a button and make sure that all prisoners would be safe, I would do it

4. On a gut level, part of me is delighted this scumbag got beaten up.

Being a decent person doesn’t mean you never have less-than-civilised feelings. It just means you have a conscience to stop you from acting on them.

I must’ve missed the memo about #4 on that list. At least, I think I did. Maybe it’s a difference in how people are brought up and perhaps even a difference in the experience of people or those they know. For me, nobody deserves to get beaten up, raped, stabbed, etc.

I agree with this pitting. The American prison and justice system are broken.

Working out is for chumps. He needs to eat Subway sandwiches, like that guy Jar–

waitaminute.

Okay, the prison authorities REALLY need to be protecting him.

I get that many prisoners were victims of child or sexual abuse, but no one deserves this.

We have a system of justice for a reason.

I am no way condoning child molesting, but I get the impression for many people that are attracted to children - they are just born that way - they aren’t evil. Acting on those urges is what is wrong. By stigmatizing people in this manner where society thinks it’s ok to kill perverts probably prevents those that want to get help in suppressing their urges in seeking help.

Do you have kids, though?

Are you saying that only a parent can have feelings for a child, that someone close to a non-parent getting brutalized does not engender sympathy?

But to answer your question, do children who are no longer alive count for the purposes of your question? What about step-children? Foster children?

I do and I agree with Monty’s post. I find neither pleasure nor justice in what happened.

How do you expect the prison system to protect the prisoners?

1. House each of them independently of the other?
  2. Provide security for each inmate when he’s out of his private suite?
  3. Handcuff all inmates when they are out on the yard?
  4. drones?
  5. punish pedos with total isolation so no one will hurt them?

What the fuck, people get in fights at bus stops, grocery store parking lots, city parks and other places all the fucking time. Can’t really expect society to do for prisoners what it can’t do for itself.

Isn’t the point of prison that you can no longer do what you normally did out in free society, be it pleasant or unpleasant, unless authority allows it?
Oh, and the “you feel this way you must not have children” retort is damn weak.

Well we could just run our prisons like Russia’s Black Dolphin Prison that would probably eliminate a lot of unruliness. :wink:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-GLo86nfYA