Li'l Abner Classic Comic Strips

Does anyone know of a site where I can download vintage Li’l Abner comic strips? (Preferably free) They’re hard to find (if such a site even exists) but I hope you fellow Doper’s can help me. :slight_smile:
Jake

I don’t know of an online collection, but Li’l Abner Dailies were published in the '80s or '90s. Each volume is a collection of the daily strips for one year. I have volumes One through Eleven.

Li’l Abner is one of those strips which is always either being published in a retrospective or someone is trying to publish it in a retrospective. Denis Kitchen has been going about it in fits and starts for, like, 25 years. So there are published volumes with a lot of material available, but it’s still copyrighted, and nobody’s giving it away for free, as they’re still trying to make money off of it.

That said, there are a few strips available at http://comics.com/lil_abner_classics/ – I assume this is publishing a new reprint on a daily basis. So if you just go to that site every day, it shouldn’t take you but 43 years to see them all.

–Cliffy

This would be a massive copyright violation from every side.

Note that the comics.com link is an authorized reprint.

Current eBay auctions.

They were but, around the time they opened their archives to all users, something happened to their Abner strips. Now they just keep rotating the same arcs–an early Abner Goes to NY, Fearless Fosdick and the Chippendale Chair, Atomic Darkness, and Daisy Mae gets Amnesia–but rarely the entire arc. I’d be surprised if they even have a tenth of the entire run at this point.

Funniest Wikipedia article ever: Fearless Fosdick

Check out Google News. From the Google search page, plug in “Li’l Abner” and then click on the “News” heading above. From the results, on the left side, click on “Archives”, which will pull up a blue bar graph. Click on the first box and one of the results should be the Milwaukee Journal.

The Milwaukee Journal (which is free to read online) carried Li’l Abner from September 10, 1934. (although it actually started on August 13, 1934). You can read it day by day this way, and if you want, even save the daily strips for yourself if you know how to use screen captures in Paint.