Lines you hate in a song you like

Sucking on a chili dog… Jack and Diane

It’s a weird line but it doesn’t really work with the music to say ‘eating a chili dog’.

When I was very young, I heard “Blowin’ in the Wind” and really admired it.

Now the first line really does bug me - “You did just call him a man!” :slight_smile:

I know that’s pedantic, but I can’t help it.

neither does sucking… weird lyric

That’s a whole category to me - Lines That Only Go That Way Because They Fit.

Coincidentally, Taylor Dayne’s Tell it to My Heart just came on and I’m not fond of the song in general but what I really hate is the line “I can feel my body rock”. I’m not sure why but the term “rock” as used in pop music just grates.

**Aerosmith’s **Sweet Emotion “When some sweet hog mama with a face like a gent”. So obvious that “gent” was used only to rhyme with “went” and it’s not even used correctly. I mean, a gent *is *a man but , what, this woman had a face like a well groomed, polite man? Just doesn’t work for me.

I’m sure someone will come along and mention “the point is probably moot”.

Lyrics often piss me off so I’m sure I’ll come back with more.

All the songs off of Navy Blues by Sloan are great, but every time they sing “Chester the Molester” in the song of the same name it gets more sleazy and irritating. I mean, it was meant to be sleazy but they succeeded too well. If they had only said it once or twice it would have acceptably set that wanna be playa barfly vibe.

The Beatles “She Came In Through The Bathroom Window” is one of my favourite Beatle songs but I try not to let the lyrics register in my conscious mind because they are stupid. McCartney writes the song and never fixes all the dumb things he’s put down on paper:

“By the banks of her own lagoon”
“And so I quit the police department
And got myself a steady job”

Cool story about that last part:

American Pie: When the jester sang for the king and queen.

While the King is obviously Elvis, I believe “queen” is just in there to rhyme with “James Dean.” I would have changed it to:

When the jester sang for the king and was seen
In a coat he borrowed from James Dean.

The “coat” is the red windbreaker worn by both Dean and Dylan in iconic photos.

“Patty Hearst, heard the burst, of Roland’s Thompson gun and bought it.”
Love Zevon, always cringed at that line.

The whole thing’s already too sexual. The verse is about teenage sex and J&D doin’ in un’ the shade tree. Throw in hot dogs and “suckin” and its a Freudian nightmare.

“Suckin’ on Jackie’s “dog” outside the Tastee Freeze
Diane sittin’ on Jackie’s face, got his head between her knees”

We had our own version. We hated that song when it was new. :slight_smile:

For that to work, Jack would need one really big head! :eek:

Whichever Clapton song it is that goes, “sit here lying on my bed.”

I may be in the minority, but I love the song Answering Machine, by Rupert Holmes, better known for "Escape (The Pina Colada Song.) I am a serious musician and music theoricist, and from that perspective, the song is awesome. The groove is awesome, the chords are interesting, the guitar parts are cool, the song structure is really cool and unique.

The lyrics are also pretty good, in my opinion. And I like Holmes’ voice.

But when he says “then I stepped out to buy some dog food for the cat”, I cringe. It’s like, he’s trying so hard to be ironic or clever or something with this, but it fails.

Another Beatles song, I Saw Her Standing There. After “She was just seventeen”, they decided “Never been a beauty queen,” didn’t work, so they went with “You know what I mean” which, ironically, is meaningless.

Please Be with Me

You can’t hear him starting the line with an “I” on the album version, but you can make it out on outtake from the recording session below. (I skipped the video ahead).

The Original by Cowboy had the “I” (sung by Duane Allman):

The way Bill Maher said it on the last episode of Real Time gave it meaning. :smiley:

Thanks for the info. It sure is a pretty song.

I always thought that line was innuendo, which isn’t meaningless.