Liqueurs

Tried our Frangelico with ice cream. Quite good. The wife prefers it that way rather than sipping straight.

Seconding Amarula since she likes Baileys.
Another South African liqueur that is quite good is Van de Hum (tangerine) - not quite Cointreau-y, sweeter than that.

Personally, I like the German Bärenjäger honey liqueur and Finnish cloudberry and lingonberry liqueurs.

That would depend on whether Siamwife’s lastname is Heterodyne, wouldn’t it?

I like Licor 43, both by itself and mixed with Cointreau (cua-cua), but I’ve never seen it outside of Spain.

I’ve had Licor 43 in both Florida and Ohio. Good stuff. You can’t find it in a bar, but it’s easy enough to find in a liquor store.

Speaking of Amarula, mentioned several times here, we were at a small riverside restaurant we like the weekend before last and noticed a house specialty cocktail on the menu – Amarula and tea. The wife ordered one. It was okay, but I suspect Amarula would be better on its own. At least I know it must be availble locally.

Here’s my “secret” recipe:

2 parts Bailey’s
2 parts Gran Marnier
1 part Kahlua

Mixed over ice.

I’ve never met anyone that didn’t like it.

The quintessential South African shooter is the Springbok - half a shot of peppermint liqueur with half a shot of Amarula floated on top.

But the best is a Dom Pedro - ice cream and Amarula.

You know what would make that even better? If you reduced it to syrup in a pot and drizzled it onto your ice cream. Don’t forget to lick the spoon!

:slight_smile:

This works really well for port wine, too.

Ouzo or sambuca is a truly wonderful drink if you like black licorice, and a foul abomination if you don’t. If your wife is a black jelly bean fancier, give it a try. Otherwise, steer clear.

We brought some Becherovka home from Prague; apparently it is a traditional gift. The site says it is herbal, but to me it tastes like nutmeg.

Reduce it to syrup in a pot? Uh-oh, now we’re talking cooking, and I can’t even boil water. :frowning:

That may be one we’ll have to pass on. I’ve tried ouzo and think it’s okay, but I’d bet the wife would not care for it. She’s definitely not a fan of black jellybeans.

I picked up a bottle of Drambuie today and tried it tonight. Yes, it is quite good but definitely one for me, not the wife. You can really taste the whiskey, while at the same time the honey and spices come through.

Try creme de cassis, a very sweet dessert wine. But don’t get the cheap DeKuyper stuff, get(if you can find it) Lucien Jacob or G.E. Massener. I just bought a bottle of the latter name at Jungle Jim’s International Market, in Fairfield Ohio. Not cheap but very tasty. You only take a shot glass, at most, at one sitting.

There is white sambuca and black sambuca. Me and Mrs. K like the black.

I can’t even think of the DeKuyper brand without getting nauseous. Shortly after high school, I drank a whole fifth of DeKuyper peppermint schnaps one evening, thinking in my misguided youth that if it tasted like candy, then it couldn’t hurt me. I still get sick just thinking about it.

Actually its quite easy…just pour the wine into a pot and let it simmer (light bubbling) until its of a syrupy texture, stirring occasionally to scrape any residues off the side of the pot. That’s it…you’re done.

Do you really think she’ll like absinthe? It’s a pretty drink, and the ceremony with the sugar cube and the flame is lovely and all, but it has a very strong flavor that isn’t palatable to many. This is a woman who likes Bailey’s we’re talking about here. I’d stick with the sweet liqueurs route.

Eh, I was just throwing a bunch of examples out there for her to try. Besides, Siam Sam is paying for all this!

:slight_smile:

Second the Cherry Heering.