Listen to the first song you paid for

List the artist, album, song, media and how it makes you feel now.

Yes
Owner of a Lonely Heart
LP

I’m actually really impressed with the recording as it’s got samples of a lower quality riff played as part of the song. There’s good stereo seperation, and it’s a clean recording. (I’m listening to an MP3 of unknown lineage) I bought the album not knowing anything about Yes, it was a happy experience as it’s a pretty good album, but that may be selection bias talking there. The second song (Edit: Leave It) is a great, mostly a capella song that sounds a heckuva lot better on my iPhone than it EVER sounded on my record player (or the cassette tape I made of it. I still remember having to flip the tape and press FF, then flip and hit play as my parents couldn’t afford a walkman with REVERSE). I’m pretty sure I haven’t heard this album in 20 years.

It makes me happy. :stuck_out_tongue:

OK, you asked for it. The first song I paid for was when I was 10, “Winchester Cathedral” by The New Vaudeville Band. It reached #1 on Billboard. I bought it on 45 so I don’t know anything about the album. I haven’t heard it in decades but I suppose if I heard it today it would make me feel silly. :slight_smile:

The first song on an album I bought was Inna-Gadda-Da-Vida, album by the same name, by Iron Butterfly, released in 1968. When I hear it, it makes me feel like a stupid kid again.

First music I ever bought was Billy Joel’s “An Innocent Man” album (on cassette).
I owned Weird Al Yankovic’s 3-D prior to that, but it was a copy from a friend so I didn’t pay for it.

I’ve never bought a single in my life, but IIRC, the first album I paid for with my own money (as opposed to my parents’) was Alanis Morisette’s Jagged Little Pill. I loved it then, lost the album, but downloaded it years later. I find that I still like it now, especially since I don’t hear those songs too much anymore (I’ve been abroad for years, so I don’t know how much radio play they get in the US these days). The songs are definitely not as meaningful as I thought they were, but they’re as catchy as ever and still represent Alanis’ best work.

Wow, wierd… When my dad was trying to get my sisters and me to listen to popular music, “Winchester Cathedral” was the first 45 he brought home. When “Inna-Gadda-Da-Vida” came out, but my best friend bought it and we’d play it over and over when we were hanging out in his basement. The first record I bought was The Sounds of Silence by Simon and Garfunkle. That would have been in '67 or '68. I still have it. I still like it.

I Feel Fine by The Beatles when I was 8 years old. Got it home and realized we did not have a record player.

Smokin’ in the Boys’ Room, Brownsville Station, 1973.
I have no idea why this anthem of teenage angst appealed so strongly to a 6-year-old, especially since I couldn’t understand most of the words.
Nowadays it just sounds like the generic country-rock that was pretty much the soundtrack for a Midwest college town in the early 70s.

It was either “I Got Five On It” by the Luniz on CD single, or Runaway Train by Soul Asylum on CD.

The Guess Who’s “Thses Eyes” album, I bought it around 1972? 1973? with money I earned from babysitting. The folks I babysat for had it and I liked it so much I went out and bought it. (They had Inagaddadaveda too but it didn’t impress me as much). I still think it holds up well today, it has American Woman, Undun and No Sugar Tonight on it besides the title track.

Mine was “Sweat Pea” by Tommy Roe. I’m embarrassed to mention it. Luckily, the song’s been forgotten and my taste has improved.

Second was “They’re Coming to Take Me Away, Ha Ha!” by Napoleon XIV.

First song I paid for was Stand By Me by Ben E. King.

When I listen to it, it makes me feel old! (I bought it around 1961/2.)

It was some K-Tel compilation that I picked up at the grocery store when I was 9 or so. I probably bought it because it featured John Davidson singing, “Oh, What A Night.” I had a crush :eek: on him and was convinced for an embarassingly long time (until my teens) that he was one who originally sang the song. :smack: Do I really need to delve into how that makes me feel, now?

I can’t remember the first 45 I paid for, I know I had at least a few Kiss singles by the time I bought my first LP - “Welcome to My Nightmare” by Alice Cooper. Aside from the title track, the only song I remember from the record was “Only Women Bleed.” I haven’t listened to anything by either act in at least 15 years.

The first album I remember buying with my own money was Led Zeppelin IV on cassette.

The first single? That’s a tough one. I’ve only bought a handful of singles (all on cassette), and if I had to guess, it might have been “Walk the Dinosaur” by Was Not Was.

edit: The first would have been 87/88; the second would have been 89. Although I may be misremembering. There’s also a possibility “Forever Your Girl” by Paula Abdul was the first album I bought, but I don’t think I paid for that with my own money. At any rate, I still like all these artists well enough. “Led Zep IV” remains one of my top ten rock records of all time. “Forever Your Girl” is fun 80s pop that I am not all embarrassed to still enjoy. The same could be said of “Walk the Dinosaur.” A silly, silly song from a very talented band. Still makes me smile.

Wow, no idea. I started buying singles with my lawn mowing money when I was maybe 7 or so. The first album I have a really clear memory of buying was the White Album. We sat in my friend’s basement, with his mom, who was one of those cool moms listening to it, and I distinctly remember thinking “whoa, THIS is pretty different”.

Born to be Wild - Steppenwolf, 1968. Much to my parents’ dismay, I discovered how to work the repeater on the family stereo that day…

First 45 - Paul Revere and the Raiders - Hungry

First Album - The Who - Live at Leeds

First 8 -Track (I’m so old) - Graham Nash

First CD - Talking Heads (I forget the album name)

I think the first single I ever owned was a 45 of “Eye of the Tiger.”

Among the first records I bought was either AC/DC’s “Back in Black” or a K-Tel type compilation called “Solid Gold” or something like that. It was a white album with a picture of a gold seal on it, I still have it somewhere.

James Taylor
Fire and Rain

Made my money selling placemats for school.

ahem…

The Doors
The Doors
LP

I still own it.