Your very first album

One day when I was in fourth grade, I went with my dad to our local Caldor to do some shopping. I was looking through their vast selection of records, and came across Iron Maiden’s Piece of Mind album. It was (and still is) an amazing piece of album cover art. I was so enamored with it that I took it with me to the front of the store and bought it. When my dad asked me what I had bought, I showed him the album. He looked at it for a minute, looked at me, and kind of shook his head and prompted me towards our car.

In any case, when I got home and listened to the album, I was hooked.

So what was the first album (or CD/8 track) you ever bought?

Any good stories to go along with it?

Do you still listen to it?

Thanks,

Heembo

Yikes!..As much as I’d like to say my first album was something cool,truth is it was well…ugh.Ok…I admit it.My first album was by “The Partridge Family”.Wait! I have an excuse I was 7 years old! I had to ask my Mom to put it on the stereo for me because I wasn’t allowed to touch it.

Around the world with the Chipmunks. I still have it. I found it. If I had a turntable I could listen to it.

I don’t exactly recall the chronology, but it was either the soundtrack to Superman or Steve Martin’s A Wild and Crazy Guy.

I’d like to think I’ve matured…

Man…talk about a blast from the past.

The first album I ever bought with my “own” money was Pink Floyd’s Dark Side of the Moon. I fell in love with the single Money and just had to have the whole album.

I’ve since been through at least five copies.

I spent $6.40 for that album. The first one, anyway. Best money I’ve ever spent.

The first album I bought with my own money was Raising Hell by Run DMC. For a brief little while, I was the most popular kid in Grade Six, since I was the only one that had it. It had the giggle F-WORD on it!

But my uncle got me “The Legend Of Sleepy Hollow” on vinyl when I was five.

The very first album (well, it was a tape) I bought with my money was…oh god, it hurts to say it…Vanilla Ice’s To the Extreme.

I’m much better now, really!

The first album I ever bought was “Sargent Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band.” In monaural. Really – I didn’t have a stereo.

Second was “Urban Spaceman” by the Bonzo Dog Band.

Partridge Family Album.

I don’t still have that copy, but I do have it on CD, and yes, I play it. Annoys the 14 year old. :smiley:

The first time I went to the record store on my own to buy something, I got two records.
Number one was We Are The World, the 2nd one was AC/DC’s For Those About to Rock. I still have them both, but AC/DC has been upgraded to cassette, and now CD.

The first albums I remember LISTENING to were “The Clancy Brothers Live at Carnegie Hall” and the original Broadway soundtrack of “Fiddler on the Roof.” But those were my parents’ albums.

The first album I ever wanted for myself was… well, this bears some explaining. When I was in 2nd grade, my teacher was a young, hippie-esque, folk-singing nun (naturally, she left the order and married a priest a few years later!). She used to play Simon & Garfunkel’s “Sounds of Silence” album in class all the time, and I LOVED it. So, I got my parents to give me the money to buy it, for my 8th birthday.

When I was 7, I’d have told you Paul Simon was the world’s greatest musician. At 16, I’d have told you it was Peter Frampton. SCARY to realize I had better taste at 7 than at 16!

PARENTS buying albums for their KIDS?----REALLY?
WE had to make do with THE RADIO!
The late 40s, when my older sister was in HS, she bought a really neat Philco phonograph.

So—my first—

78—ARE YOU FOR REAL?–JERRY LEWIS. (yes THAT one) Long
gone. Looking for it on Napster.
45—SCARLET RIBBONS–KINGSTON TRIO. Gone, but it’s on one
of their 5 albums that I have.
EP—HEARTBREAK HOTEL–ELVIS PRESLEY. I treasure it. It’s
the only album that has “I Was the One” on it.
LP/MONO—ELVIS. Sold it on EBAY to a Swede living in
Germany.
LP/STERIO—WEST SIDE STORY-movie soundtrack. Still play.
CD—WEST SIDE STORY again. This one has the Mambo in the
gym on it.

Elvis Presley - Elvis’ Gold(en?) Records. I was six years old. Dad bought it for me and I played it on my crappy Fisher Price kiddie stereo for months.

Oh God. Oh God. Oh God. Mine was Puff Daddy’s first album. I also bought Ma$e’s first the same day. I’m so sorry. I’m so, so sorry.

:smiley:

–Tim

First album I ever bought myself? White Lion’s Pride. Anyone remember White Lion? Anyone? Hello?

My next album was U2’s Joshua Tree, though.

Remember White Lion? I heard one of their songs, I think its called Little Fighter (?) or something, today.

Kiss…Alive

I wasn’t one for listening to music when I was young but the first album I bought was Pink Floyd’s The Wall and yes I still have it. (on vinyl no less).

i am such a dork, but my first album was the Star Wars OST. I got this thing when I was about 8 (I am 17 now), and I have loved Star Wars ever since.

The first album I bought was an Osmond Brothers record. I don’t remember the name of it. The second album I bought, one week after the Osmond Brothers record, was Master Of Reality by Black Sabbath.

That was one of the great things about being a kid. I didn’t have taste or discernment, I just knew what I liked.

And if I had either album now, I would probably listen to the Sabbath once about every ten years.