What is the 1st album you bought?

what’s the first album or cd that you ever got?
and the story behind it if you want to write it…

DEVO- Q:Are We Not Men? A: We Are DEVO
circa 1979

I was elevenish years old and had just spent $700 on a stereo.

I wasn’t big into music at the time, but wanted to get a C.D… Since I didn’t know what bands or artists I liked, I bought Paula Abdul’s “Spellbound” because it had the song my dance class was currently working with.

The end.

side note: I just coughed and my gum when flying across the room.

Photograph by Def Leppard.
My mom had a kitten, I was only like 11.

7 by Madness. The tragic thing is they were the best thing about the 80s.

Metal Health - Quiet Riot.

Talk about a band that hit the skids? I saw somethin about them on TV the other day. I guess the only gig they were able to get during the filming of this rockumentary was at a nudist’s colony.

No, they performed clothed.

What is it about 11? I was 11 when I bought my first record. “Apostrophe” by Frank Zappa.

“Yellow Snow” is a blast when you’re 11!

My first album purchase was Kiss’s ‘Alive’.
God, I’m getting old.

The Knack, Get The Knack, when I was ten years old in 1979.

The first album I ever bought was by a New Zealand band called Satellite Spies. This, as it turned out, was a mistake. But no surprise, as I have eclectic music tastes.

I don’t know if I really want to admit this but…the first album I bought was ‘Disco Duck’.

I was only 8 though, and I bought it with birthday money.

“Photograph” by Def Lepard was the best song they ever did,

but I digress.

The Breakfast Club self titled. They had one hit way back in the day called “Back on Track” . . . or maybe it was “Right on Track”. Damn. I will investigate. In any case it was the first LP I bought. Mine was the last generation to own any vinyl. Pretty random huh ?

Yet it was the beginning of a life long love affair.

Alice Cooper…Killer…I was 12 years old and was making a dollar a day cooking for my family, 5 bucks a week. The album cost 5.00 back then, it was 1970. My stepfather thought it was to expensive but when I came home with it he let me play it on his stereo. You know the big console kind in the wooden cabinet.

Needs

I was around 8 and I got Debbie Gibson—Electric Youth!

It was awesome and an actual record too not a CD. =)

The Mamas and Papas “If You Can Believe Your Eyes and Ears.” In mono, I’ll have you know.

I think I was eight or nine, and I got the tape of Falco 3 'cause it had “Rock me Amadeus” on it, which, at the time, I thought was the coolest thing I’d ever heard.

Lies! “Pour Some Sugar On Me” was by far their best song ever.

REO Speedwagon “Hi Infidelity.”

I was a big 45 single-buyer up till that point. Some of the lamest stuff of the late '70s-early '80s. (Think Rupert Holmes “Pina Colada Song.”)

Then I spent a summer downstate with my cousins, heard “Ballroom Blitz” by Sweet and “Communication Breakdown” by Led Zeppelin for the first time, and was forever changed …

(That was back when Detroit had several kick-ass rock radio stations - WRIF, WLLZ, WABX)

Iron Maiden’s “Live After Death”.

I’m not proud of this…

Crap, time to date myself.

Album: Switched On Bach
Circa: 1967
Artist: Walter Carlos
Reason: At that time the Moog Synthesizer was very new and the concept of Bach electronicized was amazing.

Factoid: The original sythesizers could produce only one tone at a time so a Bach cantata could take as many as twenty tracks to record.

Extra credit question: Whatever happened to Walter Carlos

Neil Diamond’s “Love at the Greek.”

1st 45: “Blinded by the Light” by Manfred Mann’s Earth Band