Literary Biblical Quotes (Rule #1 - No Witnessing)

From a non-religious person who has read parts of the Bible, and has heard it quoted and misquoted almost daily, I have to admit that there is some wonderful writing in it. Care to share some quotes? I’ll start with a couple:

Note: If this gets hijacked into a religious debate, moderators have my blessing :wink: to close it off immediately.

1 Corinthians
“When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.
For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face…”

Exodus
“I have been a stranger in a strange land.”
Exodus 2:22

One of my favorites, which I say to myself all the time is:

Psalm 118:6

The LORD is with me; I will not be afraid. What can man do to me?

and another one that I like to use in my erotic writing is this:

I Corinthians 6:19,20

Do you not know? You are not your own; you were bought at a price.
and Luke 12:6

Are not five sparrows sold for two pennies? Yet not one of them is forgotten by God.
jar

Job 38:7
Where wast thou … When the morning stars sang together, and all the sons of God shouted for joy?

Psalm 138:6-10
Whither shall I go from thy spirit? or whither shall I flee from thy presence?
If I ascend up into heaven, thou art there: if I make my bed in hell, behold, thou art there.
If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea;
Even there shall thy hand lead me, and thy right hand shall hold me.

Isaiah 55:12
For ye shall go out with joy, and be led forth with peace: the mountains and the hills shall break forth before you into singing, and all the trees of the field shall clap their hands.

Those are my faves.

I like the simplicity of John. From the KJV, chapter 14, versus 1-3 and 27:

Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me. In my Father’s house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also… Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.

Psalms 138: 1-4 (King James Version)

By the rivers of Babylon, there we sat down, yea, we wept, when we remembered Zion.

We hanged our harps upon the willows in the midst thereof.

For there they that carried us away captive required of us a song; and they that wasted us required of us mirth, saying, Sing us one of the songs of Zion.

How shall we sing the LORD’s song in a strange land?

2nd Samuel 18: 33 (King James Version)

[33] And the king was much moved, and went up to the chamber over the gate, and wept: and as he went, thus he said, O my son Absalom, my son, my son Absalom! would God I had died for thee, O Absalom, my son, my son!

Heh. Both Atreyu and I are off by one book. My Psalms quote is actually from Psalm 139.

Atreyu’s is actually from Psalm 137.

And then there is always this: Do not withhold correction from a child, for if you beat him with a rod, he will not die.

• Proverbs 23:13

I also like Woody Allen’s take on a well-known quote, from “Love and Death”: "…even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death… Actually, make that ‘I run through the valley of the shadow of death’ – in order to get out of the valley of the shadow of death more quickly, you see.

“For the world is hollow and I have touched the sky.”

Uh, it’s in the back somewhere. :wink:

I like the pithy ones best.

“My name is Legion.” Shivers down my spine. The boldness of Evil. (And other translations of this just don’t have the same scariness.)

“Go and sin no more.” Essential’s of how to live your life right in 5 words.

And I don’t do chapter and verse…

I love this thread. My favorite? A beautiful statement of committment – Ruth 1:16-17

“And Ruth said, Intreat me not to leave thee, or to return from following after thee: for whither thou goest, I will go; and where thou lodgest, I will lodge: thy people shall be my people, and thy God my God: Where thou diest, will I die, and there will I be buried: the Lord do so to me, and more also, if ought but death part thee and me.”

Ecclesiastes 9:10-11

Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave, whither thou goest.

I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favor to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all.

Deuteronomy 23:1 (KJV)

He that is wounded in the stones, or hath his privy member cut off, shall not enter into the congregation of the LORD.

The Song of Soloman

4:10 How fair is thy love, my sister, my spouse! how much better is thy love than wine! and the smell of thine ointments than all spices! 4:11 Thy lips, O my spouse, drop as the honeycomb: honey and milk are under thy tongue; and the smell of thy garments is like the smell of Lebanon.

4:12 A garden inclosed is my sister, my spouse; a spring shut up, a fountain sealed.

4:13 Thy plants are an orchard of pomegranates, with pleasant fruits; camphire, with spikenard, 4:14 Spikenard and saffron; calamus and cinnamon, with all trees of frankincense; myrrh and aloes, with all the chief spices: 4:15 A fountain of gardens, a well of living waters, and streams from Lebanon.
And they say Incest is evil.

Damn! You beat me to it! You beat me flatface in the sawdust to it. I love that one!

BTW - don’t you notice these post have a decidedly KJV bent? None of your “Good News For Modern Man” 1971 jargon, thank you.

I noticed that, too. I even posted KJV, though I never do that. But let’s face it, it is a literary masterpiece. Shakespearean, nearly. So many stunning metaphors.

Psalm 83:13-18

O my God, make them like a wheel; as the stubble before the wind. As the fire burneth a wood, and as the flame setteth the mountains on fire; So persecute them with thy tempest, and make them afraid with thy storm. Fill their faces with shame; that they may seek thy name, O LORD. Let them be confounded and troubled for ever; yea, let them be put to shame, and perish: That men may know that thou, whose name alone is JEHOVAH, art the most high over all the earth.

Nice thread idea! There’s so much wonderful writing in the Bible.

One that seems very powerful to me is Amos 5:23,24 (NIV) “Away with the noise of your songs! I will not listen to the music of your harps. But let justice roll on like a river, righteousness like a never-failing stream!”

For some reason that just gets me.

From Genesis 1:2 “and the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.”

Haunting, especially when I think of how Haydn set it to music.

I won’t reproduce it here, but I Corinthians 13, the “Love Chapter,” is classic.

I also really dig on Psalms 100 and 150.

Maybe I shouldn’t use my sig in this thread, but I can’t resist. :smiley:

When the Lamb opened the fourth seal, I heard the voice of the fourth living creature say, “Come!”
I looked and there before me was a pale horse! Its rider was named Death, and Hell followed close behind.

Revelation 6, vs7-8

You should quote the whole line, much more chilling. It’s from Mark 5:9 -

One of my favorites is found in the book of Jeremiah, chapter 29, verse 11.

I have to agree with those who have already mentioned Psalms 139.

Another favorite is found in Proverbs, chapter 3, verses 5-6.

From a literary viewpoint though, Proverbs, chapter 31, verses 10-31, stand out in my mind. These verses are recognized by most as being about a virtuous wife.

Not only are they a wonderful description of a woman who has a balanced life, but, the verses, in Hebrew, form an alphabetic acrostic.

Maybe someone who knows Hebrew can share more information with us.

Ecclesiastes 10:19 (NKJV)
A feast is made for laughter, And wine makes merry; But money answers everything.