"Little Green Dwarfs" in Spanish-Speaking Folklore

I was listening to the Latin music station on XM last night, and between songs the host came on and spoke in Spanish (as he always does). I know quite a bit of Spanish, but not nearly enough to keep up with a speaker speaking in his normal voice. Basically I can pick up random words here and there.

Which is why I was a little taken aback when I caught the words “enanos verdes,” which means “little green dwarfs.” And yes, I’m absolutely sure he said “enanos verdes”; he chuckled a little after he said it.

Unfortunately, I can give you no more context than that. I suspected there was some kind of holiday afoot whose mythos involves enanos verdes, just like the US holiday Christmas involves elves. But that’s just a guess.

Can anyone help me out here? Is August 11th a holiday of some kind in some Spanish-speaking place, and green dwarfs somehow factor into it?

Pity.

If the host had said Enanitos Verdes he would probably have been referring to the Latin music band of the same name.

My mistake. :smack:

Enanitos Verdes IS what he said.

Thanks for the link!

Or maybe you heard him right, and he was making a reference to the legendary Green Children of Banjos (which is in Spain). :wink:

If you change one letter in Enanitos Verdes you get Little Green Wankers.

This is a little like asking about the significance of “beetles” in English-speaking folklore based on snippets overheard on the radio. :wink: