Little Mysteries

WOOHOO! Virtual confetti to roll around in. I say let’s all get big handfuls of it and sling it all over Rue when he comes back. He’ll think we think he’s special. Or maybe just think we’re all really messy for slinging confetti all over him. For all I know Rue is some kinda neat freak who will run screaming to the shower to get the confetti off. Paper shredders make wunnerful confetti btw. Y’all probably already knew that though.

Thanks for the wild and reckless abandonment with which you tossed confetti at me FCM. I am kinda proud of myself for doing so well. And to top it all, I ain’t killed anybody! Not even at work. Now that’s good.

Speaking of geezerness, according to my bank, I am one. See they started this free banking stuff for their, as they so politely and daintily put it, “mature” customers. A “mature” customer, according to Heritage Bank of the South, is anyone who has ripened to the age of 45 and above. Anyway, I get free checking, free checks, free travelers checks, (I really doubt this one. I mean, what? I’m gonna go in and say I want a $1000 in travelers checks and they’re gonna hand em over without me handing them a $1000? Oh, I see, they won’t charge me to make the travelers checks.) and some stuff about special interest rates and such. So far, I am excited about the free geezer checks and checking account. They even gave me $5.00 for signing up for their online banking/bill paying service. The checks even come in all kinds of exciting colors and you can get em with purty pictures if ya want. I got the blue ones. I always get the blue ones. Why should I dazzle people I’m handing over my hard earned money to with purty pictures?

-swampbear (old geezer bank customer)

What the… where did all this confetti come from? It’s everywhere! Gah, it’s clogging… Man! What a mess! Someone better show up with a broom. That’s all I’m saying.

We have some pretty good checks. (If we were Canadian, they’d be “cheques”. But we’re not, so they aren’t.) The Three Stooges. And the Little Woman picked them out. When we moved we needed new checks because our old checks had the wrong address on them. (We didn’t look ahead on that one.) We could have gotten free checks from the bank, not because we’re old, but because we deserve free checks. But the free checks were ugly. So the Little Woman looked for good checks. The best checks she found were the Three Stooges.

Our checks make me happy.
-Rue. (nyuck, nyuck, nyuck)

“They (the people to whom the shirt is referring) live with specific purposes: being supported by these (the purposes), the best kind of personalities (those of the people with the purposes) are completed.”

In short: “Goals Make Them Whole”. A lesson we could all learn from.

:smiley:

I’ll take small virtual bills, unmarked and random serial numbers.

Perhaps a better translation would be “Goals Make Us Whole.” More inspirational that way.

Engrish was never my strong suit. I can’t decide if it’s malarkey? or effective way?

I might add, with a note of horror, that “How to Goodbye Depression” does not appear to be listed on Amazon any longer. Talk about a mystery.

Goals may make us whole, but donuts make us holy.

:stuck_out_tongue:

Rue DeDay I don’t mean to be a smartass or anything, but I’d hate to find out something worse happened to the dogs because of a gate.

Generally with a gate that has hinge pins like you described. The weight of the gate rest on the bottom pin. The top pin is screwed in or out to adjust the swing (levelness) of the gate. The top pin is usually turned down to keep it from getting knocked off it’s “hinges”.

If you knew this already, then I apologize for assuming otherwise. You’d be surprised at how many times I’ve seen folks put them up the way you described.

I was talking with a guy two days ago about this same thing, he said…“I had to put a chain and lock around the hinged side of the gate to keep somebody from just taking it off the pins.”

So I told him. He just kinda went :smack: lifes little mysteries :wink:

Not to worry t-keela, you don’t seem all smart-assy to me. And I’d know. Believe me.

Both of the pins are pointed up, and I didn’t know the top one should be down. They were up when we moved in and I haven’t given it any thought as of yet.

It was the neighbor’s dogs that busted out our gate. They plowed through the wire mesh between the yards, then tossed the gate aside. They both turned out fine, we asked our neighbor when we found the collar lying on the ground.

Our dogs wouldn’t mess with the gate. Nicki, a Shetland Sheepdog, wouldn’t even think of breaking the Rules. So she wouldn’t leave the yard with the gate wide open, let alone vandalizing the fence to get out. Also she’s old and just not all that adventurous anymore. Lucy, the Jack Russell, on the other hand… well, when she wants out of the fence, she just blasts through a bunny hole in the mesh. Slowly but surely we’re putting a chicken wire layer all around the yard at the bottom of the fence. (She’s only gotten out once. Since then we police and block before the bunny hole is big enough for her to wiggle through.)

Next summer we’re looking at replacing the wire mesh all the way around the yard. We’ll see what comes of that.

So. Do I just twist the hook and eye around? Like with pliers or something? Or I could just leave it in case I need to pop the gate off in an emergency. Yeah, that’s it! I’m prepared for emergencies with a pop-off fence gate.
-Rue. (prepared like mustard)

I had no mysteries this weekend. Mainly I was in a drug-induced stupor, though I did come out of it long enough to take some more drugs.

Last week, I had a customer come in wearing a floral print blouse, a plaid vest and pinstripe capri pants. All of them were in different clashing shades of really bright. She had an air of, “I’m much to fashionable and spiffy for this establishment” about her, too. I wanted to arrest her for fashion violations.

It’s good to know I’ll still be beautiful, even though I’ll weigh 400lbs pretty soon if I don’t stop with the cream. Have I mentioned that I just found a marvellous ice cream place near my house? Aargh.

By the way, does anyone know what causes my tonsils to grow white spots when I have throat problems? I’m a bit worried- my tonsils shouldn’t be that colour. And yes, it’s “colour”, and those things Rue has are “cheques”.

:smiley:

Whoo! Sounds like my kind of party!
Winter - (drug free since…well, a really long time)

Lissla … (Standard disclaimer: I Am Not a Doctor but …) you must have tonsillitis… You get pus pockets :eek: on your tonsils with tonsillitis. Yucky, I know. You might need an antibiotic.

Aside: Isn’t this gross? I looked up “tonsil” to make sure I was spelling it right and the dictionary gives this definition: Either of a pair of prominent masses of lymphoid tissue that lie one on each side of the throat between the anterior and posterior pillars of the fauces

Jeez, talk about drug induced stupors and people think you’re an addict. My stupor was prescribed by the doctor, and was much easier than dealing with the pain.

I sure wish I’d finished eating my lunch before I read your post, Ellen:frowning: Somehow, the chunks of melon don’t look nearly as appetizing any longer.

But I agree with your non-doctor-being diagnosis, as another non-doctor. Lissla, you might want to get that checked out.

Yet another mystery - where the heck is Ex?? I bet he’ll offer some weak story about being busy at work or some equally flimsy tale.

On Friday, I got to dress up in a monkey suit (that is, a fur suit with the outward appearance of a monkey) and now I have flea bites on the back of my neck. Maybe the costume was so good the fleas thought it was a real monkey.

Rue Yeah, just twist’em around…when you take the gate off the pins you should be able to turn the top pin until it is pointing down. Set the gate back on the bottom pin and latch the gate. Lean the gate towards you with one hand and twist the top pin in the same direction until it lines up w/ the eye screw. Insert, straighten the gate and top pin.

Different gates, size/length of hinge pins etc. may require the pin be moved, probably up just a bit? YMMV

Some gates such as yours, the hinge attached to the gate is bolted so that it can be adjusted/raised to slip onto the pin then tightened. In any event it shouldn’t take more than a few minutes to do.

Most folks are worried about security in these situations. That doesn’t seem to be your concern. So, sure you can leave it like it is if you don’t think it’s a problem. I put spring loaded hinges on my back yard gate w/ an auto latch. I don’t worry about anyone leaving the gate open anymore.

Needless to say…I love my pup.

Sorry folks about the hijack…y’all carry on. :slight_smile:

I have it on good authority that he should be bailed out by tomorrow morning. He’s working on getting the charges for public drunkenness and public nudity reduced because he was actually on crack and most of his body was covered with faux fur.

Suddenly, I’m having flashbacks of Jim Carrey in Earth Girls are Easy! :eek:

I love the word ‘unguent’.

I got swollen tonsils on monday afternoon, and by tuesday morning I was about ready to dig my own grave, if I had been able to move. I got my oh so lovely to take me to urgent care to get me some meds. I passed out for another day and was back to work on Thursday, where my boss made fun of me being out sick (jerk). I told him that was bad karma and he’d get his. Then on Friday (feeling fine and dandy, but still taking my meds like a good girl) I got a call from the doctor’s office with the results from the culture that they took. Oh, lookie. STREP. yikes.

Go to the doctor.

oh, and my little mystery~ my dog. He stinks. we wash him, and he still stinks. we take him to get his teeth cleaned, and to see if there is anything wrong with him. Nothing wrong, and he STILL stinks. yucky. There are several reasons why I am a cat person.
One of them definatley has to do with him.

BTW
This fencing is great. It comes in a 50’ roll for only $25 is super easy to put up and looks great. It’ll keep everything in or out. 4’ tall by 2’ wide Redwood picket w/ 5 galvanized wire, plus pre-painted with red oxide primer.
It’s drift fence, keeps the snow off the roads. Mine has been up four years, no problems so far.