Lobster Mayonnaise

One of the advantages of working from home (aside from being able to pop over to SDMB) is that I can have the TV on for background noise. Rich And Strange (1932) is playing on TCM. At one point an ocean liner’s menu is shown, and it included Lobster Mayonnaise. I looked it up. It’s lobster with mayonnaise.

Now that’s high-class! ‘When you’re making Lobster Mayonnaise, “Bring out the Best Foods and bring out the Best!”’ :stuck_out_tongue:

Yes, I know you’re supposed to make your own mayo; but this is the first thing that came to mind.

Now this is bizarre…I’m also working from home, also watching TCM, and also noticed “Lobster Mayonnaise”. I think I’d gag, too, if I was seasick.

5 Hitchcock’s in a row this morning. Is it his birthday?

Nope; that was Aug. 13: Alfred Hitchcock - Wikipedia

I work from home on Mondays, and TCM is my co-worker!
p.s. Fredric March is the star of the month! Don’t forget to DVR Design for Living next Tuesday. It’s the bomb.

:confused: So it’s basically a lobster roll without the roll. What’s the big deal?

FWIW, one of the French restaurants around here has cold roast chicken with mayonnaise as a regular menu item.

Maybe it was exotic in 1932.

Nowadays it brings to mind the ubiquitous surimi salad, which may use fake lobster instead of fake crab.

I watched Two Fat Ladies the other day, on the new Cooking Channel.

They made Lobster Mayonnaisefor some Benedictine Nuns.

I love those women!

I doubt that, since mayonnaise always was a standard sauce for seafood. Hell, I have a cookbook with a mayonnaise recipe from a Shaker cook living in rural New Hampshire in the 1880s; if mayonnaise-n-seafood made it that far, I’m fairly certain it was a standard preparation.

Ocean travel used to be a big deal, and dinners were supposed to be elegant. (I suppose they still are, but I don’t have firsthand knowledge.) So it amused me that the menu included lobster with mayo.

even weirder, I was just watching an old Fred Astaire flick, where he played a psychiatrist. The woman he was “helping” needed to dream more, so they fed her all sorts of strange food for dinenr, including lobster with mayonnaise. Never heard of it before yesterday.

I didn’t get to watch the end, but I’m betting she married Fred instead of the nice guy she was dating. . .

If the nice guy was Edward Everett Horton, you bet she did.
ETA: Nope. The Ralph Bellamy Rule is in effect.

That is interesting suggesting Lobster anything being considered upscale in the depression. My Father In Law says when he was growing up they were so poor that they HAD to eat lobster! Of course, if you are a fisherman’s son in the depression you eat what you couldn’t sell … which was apparently lobster. Also, because they are scavengers many people (including his father) considered lobsters to be unclean and not fit for human consumption.

Yum, Yum … more sea scavengers for me to eat!

A good brief look at the history of humanity’s love (or tolerance) for lobster: The Food Timeline: history notes--fish & shellfish

If you look at the infamous “last dinner on the Titanic” menu, you’ll find exotic dishes like “lamb with mint sauce” and “creamed carrots”.

Yep. that’s the one.

I’m reminded of Steak Tartare where they don’t even cook the meat. One would think that if you spend so much on the dish that they would spend more time and effort preparing it. :smiley:

I think a Honey, Curry, and Yoghurt Lobster Mayonaise tossed for a warm, butter fried Pita, Lobster Gyro with fresh Napa Cabbage, Tomato, Cucumber slices, onion, and Bacon would be good.