Lollapalooza 2005

I just got back from Chicago last night and realized no one had started a thread on this concert. It was very hot, but very worth it, if only for the Arcade Fire’s set.

So, did any other Dopers attend? I thought it was amazing, and I want to discuss. Here are my top five acts:

1. The Arcade Fire
  2. The Pixies
  3. The Black Keys
  4. Spoon
  5. The Walkmen

As I just said, The Arcade Fire were incredible. All nine (I think it was nine) band members, even the ones without microphones, screamed the chorus to Wake Up in unison, several of them even changed instruments throughout the set. They had so much energy and really looked like they were having a lot of fun playing in the 100 degree weather.

The Pixies and The Walkmen probably would have both been higher if I had caught their entire sets, but, as it was, they played at the same time. I left the Walkmen about halfway through and caught the last 45 minutes of the Pixies.

The Black Keys are a duo, but they somehow manage to sound like at least a trio up there. That guitarist/singer is extremely talented.

Spoon is just a personal favorite of mine. Their rendition of Paper Tiger was one of the highlights of the entire festival.

Honorable mention goes to The Kaiser Chiefs, who pulled a couple out of the crowd to assist with lead vocals.

So, let’s have it, Dopers. What did you think of Lollapalooza 2005? And who in the hell was that Beatle Bob guy?

Well, I wasn’t at Lollapalooza, nor did I see any of the webcasts. I can let you know, though, that Beatle Bob is a guy from St. Louis who goes to shows every night and dances much in the fashion I’m sure you saw this weekend. Opinions of him vary widely from adoration to disdain. Here is a good, in depth article on him from a few years back:

I thought about going for a one-day ticket or something, but the only band I really wanted to see was Death Cab for Cutie and I’d rather just wait until they tour on their new album in the fall. As it is, I’m glad I didn’t go because it was DAMN HOT yesterday!

And boy, are your arms tired! <rimshot>

Ugh, yeah it was. I wanted to see Dinosaur Jr, but I could only stand there for three songs before retreating to the shade. What luck. :rolleyes: