Looking for old children's book....

Ok so my daughter made me think of this book today asking about Leprechauns. She was telling me how they were real (she’s 7) and how she wanted to catch one. I remembered an old book I had as a kid and it was full of different stories. They weren’t quite fairy tales if I remember correctly but one of the stories in it was about a Leprechaun that was caught in a glass jar. It was really nice artwork and there was a lot of writing in the book as well, but the pictures took up most of the pages. I remember really loving that book and now it’s driving me crazy because I want to get it again but I don’t even know how to find it. For what it’s worth, I was a kid in the 80s. Hoping that someone might know what I’m talking about :slight_smile:

Start here.

They’re right in that the Loganberry Books link is probably the best for searching for old kids’ books. Good luck!

I tried the link and nothing :frowning: The problem is gonna be I know there were more stories in there but for the life of me I can’t remember what they were. For some reason the Leprechaun one stuck out in my mind. Like I can remember the image of an angry Leprechaun in a jar and like a little kid looking at them.

Did you try this link? Unfortunately, the service is no longer free. It was when I used it a few years ago.

http://w1.loganberrybooks.com/stumpthebookseller/?page_id=8

Could it be Let’s Pretend by Nila Mack? It’s a collection of folk/fairy tales that were originally used on a radio program of the same name. It includes a story about a boy with a misshapen back who catches a Leprechaun–can’t tell if he’s in a jar, though–and demands that the Leprechaun straighten his back for him.

Here’s a Pinterest board with several images from some of the stories–be sure to scroll down (none with the Leprechaun, though). Maybe the illustrations will look familiar? This book does have a lot of text, but the images are quite large and take up at least half of the pages.

Anyway, just a long shot!

The first thing that came to mind was this Gnomes book, but it’s not really stories, and the only time they get caught is by ogres.

Artist Brian Froud also put out some books along the same lines, about Faeries, Goblins, Trolls, and Elves, as well as the accompanying books to Labyrinth and The Dark Crystal.

Golden Books Treasury of Elves and Fairies. Pricey, though.
There’s a captured leprechaun but no glass jar.
Even if this isn’t it, the artwork is fantastic.

Out of the Bug Jar has a tooth fairy who gets caught, but that’s probably not the one you’re thinking of.

:frowning: No none of those. I wish I could figure out more info about it cause remembering one picture from one story isn’t very helpful lol Maybe I’ll ask my brothers if they remember the book…

Have you considered contacting a library? If you can find one with a children’s room librarian who has been around a while, they can be a wealth of information. When my boys were young, I went on a search for a book I’d enjoyed as a child - long out of print and forgotten - but I found a long-time children’s room librarian who knew exactly what I was talking about. With the info in hand, I was able to find a copy of the book on ebay.

It’s worth a shot, anyway.